PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many more SB's would the Patriots won if they always had great DB's and LB's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton Manning also get this theoretical awesome defense every year?

The irony of this post is you are knocking the team for its strategy in the salary cap era, which is the very reason why they are so successful. If the salary cap didn't exist, they would not be this successful and probably not even close. I've been pretty critical about their recent drafts and trades, but to question the strategy of where they allot their money seems crazy. If you look closely, they spend a lot of their money on guys that will excel in the red zone with the theory that offenses are going to get their yardage, so limiting the damage is the most cost effective way to stop this, rather than trying to build an expensive but unsustainable long-term solution like the Seahawks. Also, they gave top end deals to McCourty, Gilmore, and Hightower, so I don't see where the criticism is here considering those are secondary/linebacker players. I do agree their last 3-4 drafts appear to be really putrid, though we don't have a lot to go on yet for 2018. There is a talent problem that will soon become more apparent if they don't hit a few big drafts like early on in this decade.

Fair enough, keep forgetting about Gilmore.. I just wish they'd done what New Orleans did somehow...that D is looking pretty good. NE is one great CB or S draft pick/FA and one great LB away from winning it all again...O-Line's been great since Light retired, whole OF has been great, was just thinking why the Pats seem to bend so much on def, passing d especially. Near bottom of the NFL rankings in team d since 2008 now...why drop so low?

I just wish they'd done what New Orleans did somehow...that D is looking pretty good.
"That D" continued an impressive streak of 25 straight seasons allowing more points than the 2017 Patriots did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots