PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many more SB's would the Patriots won if they always had great DB's and LB's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the same, IMO.

The Patriots were a play away from losing all 5 Superbowls….and a play away from winning the 3 we lost in the BB/Brady era....
How were they a play away from losing all 5 Super Bowls? The only ones they came from behind and could’ve lost were the Panthers and Seahawks.

I think they could’ve won more but could’ve lost more. For example, in 2011 had Lee Evans caught the pass in the AFCCG or the Seahawks not panic and throw the ball, they had a scare vs the Titans in 2003, and I almost forgot how the refs could’ve ignored the tuck rule.

But to answer the OP’s question, I’ve always been in the camp that the Pats have had weak LB’s since 2005. Secondary hasn’t been great either. But I think what has lost them more games than that was bad coaching decisions or flat out out coached on that day and players not executing. But more often than not, those coaches have to put together the perfect game plan and players have to play the game of their life to beat the Pats.

Last edited:
None of which have played a down in the NFL yet. A bit premature to be judging the state of rookie linebackers.

We will see. LB position was a weakness going into the draft ahead of even the secondary.

the two they lost to the giants are on the offense

the one they lost to the eagles is on the coaching staff.

2008 would have been a potential win if not for losing Brady

A couple of those seasons where we lost mayo for most if not all of the year may have resulted in a win.

I'll say ONE additional superbowl win.

We must be getting close to the season getting underway. An increase in these types of threads usually signals that.

How were they a play away from losing all 5 Super Bowls? The only ones they came from behind and could’ve lost were the Panthers and Seahawks.

I think they could’ve won more but could’ve lost more. For example, in 2011 had Lee Evans caught the pass in the AFCCG or the Seahawks not panic and throw the ball, they had a scare vs the Titans in 2003, and I almost forgot how the refs could’ve ignored the tuck rule.

But to answer the OP’s question, I’ve always been in the camp that the Pats have had weak LB’s since 2005. Secondary hasn’t been great either. But I think what has lost them more games than that was bad coaching decisions or flat out out coached on that day and players not executing. But more often than not, those coaches have to put together the perfect game plan and players have to play the game of their life.

If adam misses any of those kicks the game is either a loss or a coin flip.

If Matt ryan doesn't fumble while up in the 4th the falcons hold on to win.

If the seahawks hand off to lynch they win.

What sucks about the NFL is that perennial losers like our team always draft last...

Oops...Oh wait a minute...

2007 loss was on the offense, you should be able to win any game that you only give up 17 points.

2011 ditto

last year was the only loss you can squarely put on the defense. They were horrible! They got beat every which you can.
If anyone can muster up the courage to watch Super Bowl 42, you will find that it should have been a blowout in the Patriots favor. The Patriots defense should’ve had three or four turnovers in the first quarter alone. They were really making it miserable for Manning. It’s beyond frustrating to watch and the Giants are the luckiest team in NFL history.

All the talk of the Giants D-line being great on that day is overrated. They were sending the house most of the 1st half which added some pressure but left the slot WRs wide open. In fact, had Brady not taken his sweet a** time throwing the screen pass to Maroney on the first play of the game, it would’ve been a touchdown because the Giants sent the house. They scored anyways, but it took forever. On other plays, you’ll see some great replay angles at the QB’s POV and you’ll shake your head. Gaffney was wide open a ton. I’m shocked Brady couldn’t see this. At the time, the line was holding up well enough for him to notice it, but he was locking in on other WR’s.

I was so frustrated I turned it off at Halftime.

Last edited:
Well it’s drafting as well. BB has been in the middle. Some reaches. This team doesn’t have a lot of players that make big money.
How many pro bowl and all pro players has BB drafted compared to the other teams?

The LB unit’s one of the weakest in the nfl. We will see what Bentley can do. I think the secondary can be good but it will depend on how Rowe plays. Also these rookies.
Having Hightower in our LB corps automatically makes us AT LEAST middle of the pack at that position.

I win the Super Bowl with the Pats every year in Madden so to OP's point it's a crime we don't have at least 8 wins

Meaningless question because to get better LBs, etc. they'd have had to given up something else. Pointless to assume that you have better LBs, etc. but everything else is equal.

Maybe give up Tavon Wilson, Jordan Richards, Cyrus Jones...etc.

They could have drafted a LB earlier. They waited till the 5th round. More decent LBs ahead of Bentley.

Because earlier of course means better player and scheme fit.

Well it’s drafting as well. BB has been in the middle. Some reaches. This team doesn’t have a lot of players that make big money.

Ok. Lets play this game. Please give me the list of teams who have drafted consistently better than the Patriots over the last 10 years. Also add at which spot they were drafting on average. Unless you are not interested in actually having a reasonable discussion. If you just want to keep shouting **** please don't reply with another message that moves the goalposts.

The reality is that nobody drafts consistently well. Hit and misses is pretty much the reality for all 32.

Because earlier of course means better player and scheme fit.

Ok. Lets play this game. Please give me the list of teams who have drafted consistently better than the Patriots over the last 10 years. Also add at which spot they were drafting on average. Unless you are not interested in actually having a reasonable discussion. If you just want to keep shouting **** please don't reply with another message that moves the goalposts.

The reality is that nobody drafts consistently well. Hit and misses is pretty much the reality for all 32.
I dont think he can even count to 10,,,so you may be waiting for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe