PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How confident are you that Jones is "the guy"?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

1 (not at all) to 10 (completely), how certain are you that Mac Jones is the long-term answer at QB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
these comments were made after the Jets game...

who are basically a balm to sooth any ill...

Line needs work... wouldn't mind the Pats taking another shot at getting Cole Popovich vaccinated... he and Carmen Bricillo did a halfway decent job replacing Scar in 2020...
OL sucked during Jete game as well. Not sure what Bill is talking about. In addition, he's done absolutely nothing to make changes. He keeps on putting same product out there. Question is why?

I gave him a 5-6...almost 7-8, but it's too early to know for sure.

Of the guys who came out this year, he's showing the best or second best (Lawrence). I'm very glad he fell to 15 and the Pats picked him. He looks legit - it'll take until next season, at least, to really know much.
I gave him 9-10 because of how much I know about him as a competitor, a QB, a person, and what it takes to be the QB at Bama.

I don't know how much y'all know about the pressure of college football in the SEC, but it massive. The QB of the best program in college is a huge mantel to carry. Mac came in as a 3* and waited his turn, waiting meaning he worked his *** off, getting in shape, learning the game, while at the same time graduating in 3 years with a 4.0 GPA.
When it was his turn who did he follow? Tua Tagovailoa easily THE most popular QB in recent Bama history. His first start was against Auburn, our most hated rival and we lost due to his 2 INTs. Even that didn't stop him, he won the bowl game a few weeks later and every one of the games to follow.
He is a much more of a competitor than any QB I have seen at Bama since AJ McCarron. He is a rookie and like all rookies will make mistakes, but he is so damn smart, he normally doesn't repeat those mistakes because he learns from them.

Only time will tell I only hope it's not like Greg Cook.

Question is why?
Lack of options.

Does the line look better with Brown? Probably.

Cajuste? Dunno... Lack of information on this one

I gave him 9-10 because of how much I know about him as a competitor, a QB, a person, and what it takes to be the QB at Bama.

I don't know how much y'all know about the pressure of college football in the SEC, but it massive. The QB of the best program in college is a huge mantel to carry. Mac came in as a 3* and waited his turn, waiting meaning he worked his *** off, getting in shape, learning the game, while at the same time graduating in 3 years with a 4.0 GPA.
When it was his turn who did he follow? Tua Tagovailoa easily THE most popular QB in recent Bama history. His first start was against Auburn, our most hated rival and we lost due to his 2 INTs. Even that didn't stop him, he won the bowl game a few weeks later and every one of the games to follow.
He is a much more of a competitor than any QB I have seen at Bama since AJ McCarron. He is a rookie and like all rookies will make mistakes, but he is so damn smart, he normally doesn't repeat those mistakes because he learns from them.
This is my hope. The game looks a little too fast for him right now (missing a couple of wide open deep guys), but that's expected and it usually slows down over time.

I can see already that he's an NFL QB. I put his floor at Pennington/Dalton, and never put a ceiling. I mean, go ahead, someone tell me Tom Brady's ceiling...

"The guy" is a high standard, though, so I'll wait for more information to come through.

Last edited:

Thanks for that recap. The concern I have isn't related to his play because he has solid fundamentals. This is a guy who isn't used to losing (15-1 starter) or that has faced adversity (despite that initial game he was thrown into).

After looking at his demeanor during last week's loss and his press conference, my concern is psychological. This young man is under enormous pressure. He knows the "winning" culture the fan base is used to in NE. He's following the GOAT. He's lost 2 straight home games that could've/ should've been wins. I know it's not his fault but he seems to take everything personal. I don't recall ever seeing the behavior we saw this past Sunday from any other QB. It was just odd.

He's now facing the World Champs + the GOAT in a game that could lead to his 3rd straight home loss. Patriots haven't lost three straight home games since Bledsoe (rookie) / Secules in '93. Between him running for his life because of OL play and a possible 3rd home loss, my concern is this guy losing confidence.

I understand he had pressure to perform in Bama but Saban (a better HC than Bill) surrounded him with quality players to help him succeed. It's still early but I'm not seeing that same scenario with the Patriots.

I don't see what you see. Look at that last video again. Where was Jones supposed to slide to? His right tackle let the defender close on him from behind and the right tackle let defender get right in front of him. The pocket was totally collapsed. He literally had no where to step. The o-line gave Jones no option but to take the sack or, I assume, throw to a receiver who is in double or completely covered.

In the second video, the defender had a jailbreak rush untouched right up the middle. I would say most QBs, possibly even Brady, would have taken a sack in this case.

And again, there 18 QB pressures on Sunday. Jones was sacked twice. So 16 times on Sunday, Jones was under pressure and could have been sacked and either got rid of the ball before the defender got to him or stepped up in the pocket to avoid the pressure.
I was specifically looking at videos 2 and 3. I agree about video 1. The rush comes up that middle although to me it looked like the guy was slow and lumbering up. Jones could have tried to juke and go either left or right as the protection was fine on both sides but he kind of panicked and just chucked the ball. Right now IMO the game is a little too fast for him which is understandable. On the videos 2 and 3 he actually runs toward the pressure. He could have stepped up on both of those and the rush would have passed him by. He was a sitting duck in video 4. No question.

I was specifically looking at videos 2 and 3. I agree about video 1. The rush comes up that middle although to me it looked like the guy was slow and lumbering up. Jones could have tried to juke and go either left or right as the protection was fine on both sides but he kind of panicked and just chucked the ball. Right now IMO the game is a little too fast for him which is understandable. On the videos 2 and 3 he actually runs toward the pressure. He could have stepped up on both of those and the rush would have passed him by. He was a sitting duck in video 4. No question.

This is how a terrible Online and bad play calls repeatedly putting Mac in pressure, will ruin most rookies. Even a good well trained rookie coming in. At some point you stop processing the situation and just have a shellshock mode from zero OLine protection. You stop assuming you have time to scan the field, your base assumption is your guys are not blocking. See David Carr, Andrew Luck

This is how a terrible Online and bad play calls repeatedly putting Mac in pressure, will ruin most rookies. Even a good well trained rookie coming in. At some point you stop processing the situation and just have a shellshock mode from zero OLine protection. You stop assuming you have time to scan the field, your base assumption is your guys are not blocking. See David Carr, Andrew Luck
This was always the danger with starting Mac IMO which is why I wanted Bill to spend money and draft capital and get a quality bridge QB like a Bridgewater or Jimmy. I have been saying it all off-season. Cam was such a waste of time and money and did nothing to help this team move forward.

BTW, I don't believe the Oline is a personnel issue. It is a coaching issue. Remember one of our Oline coaches Cole Popovich resigned over the Covid vax. I think we are seeing effects from that.

This was always the danger with starting Mac IMO which is why I wanted Bill to spend money and draft capital and get a quality bridge QB like a Bridgewater or Jimmy. I have been saying it all off-season. Cam was such a waste of time and money and did nothing to help this team move forward.

BTW, I don't believe the Oline is a personnel issue. It is a coaching issue. Remember one of our Oline coaches Cole Popovich resigned over the Covid vax. I think we are seeing effects from that.
Yup. It was clear that telling Cam to take a hike was the right call but it was odd that they signed him thinking he would be better.

I worry about Mac's health right now with the OL having their problems. If he gets hurt... seeya next season Pats.

Thanks for that recap. The concern I have isn't related to his play because he has solid fundamentals. This is a guy who isn't used to losing (15-1 starter) or that has faced adversity (despite that initial game he was thrown into).

After looking at his demeanor during last week's loss and his press conference, my concern is psychological. This young man is under enormous pressure. He knows the "winning" culture the fan base is used to in NE. He's following the GOAT. He's lost 2 straight home games that could've/ should've been wins. I know it's not his fault but he seems to take everything personal. I don't recall ever seeing the behavior we saw this past Sunday from any other QB. It was just odd.

He's now facing the World Champs + the GOAT in a game that could lead to his 3rd straight home loss. Patriots haven't lost three straight home games since Bledsoe (rookie) / Secules in '93. Between him running for his life because of OL play and a possible 3rd home loss, my concern is this guy losing confidence.

I understand he had pressure to perform in Bama but Saban (a better HC than Bill) surrounded him with quality players to help him succeed. It's still early but I'm not seeing that same scenario with the Patriots.
I will say this, when he had an INT or didn't make a great play, he would always go to the bench and sit in the manner he did on Sunday. When asked about it, he said he was going over the play in his head to see how he could avoid it next time.

I'm sure Sunday was rough on him. I also think he will be fine. You can imagine how tough you have to be to play QB for Saban!!

I will say this, when he had an INT or didn't make a great play, he would always go to the bench and sit in the manner he did on Sunday. When asked about it, he said he was going over the play in his head to see how he could avoid it next time.

I'm sure Sunday was rough on him. I also think he will be fine. You can imagine how tough you have to be to play QB for Saban!!
He has got to move on from bad plays quicker/bad games emotionally. He will hopefully learn that.

In the Way Too Soon But It Is What It Is column....

NE's 1-2 record positions them 7th in the 2022 draft
5 zero win teams
16 one win teams with NE possessing the 2nd lowest strength of schedule % tie breaker in this one win group

Tankathon | 2022 NFL Draft Order

Agree. Last year they moved players all over the place and it was fine. This year they're locked in on not moving onwenu no matter what. Bad OLine coaching but also Durant and Herron are terrible

5 zero win teams
16 one win teams with NE possessing the 2nd lowest strength of schedule % tie breaker in this one win group

LMAO at Raiders vs Cardinals in Super Bowl. Hahahahaha

I didn't see it that way at all. In video 2, you have to take into effect that it was play action and Jones has his back to the field for a second or two and when he turns around the first thing he is doing is reorienting himself with the field and looking for his receivers and should have faith in his line that there isn't a free defender running at him unblocked. That is the gamble of play action. When it works, the defense bites on the run, you give the QB an extra second or three to make a play. When they don't bite on it or a defender isn't blocked, the QB is exposed because he has to turn his back to the line of scrimmage for a second and when he turns around his first instinct is to look for his receivers and not whether a defender is jail broken running to him.

The third video is the thing. And in that one, Jones completed the pass and got rid of the ball before he got hit. I don't see where the beef is there.

Satan better than Belichick?

Step back from the crack pipe.

5 zero win teams

Wow...Philly could have 3 top 10 picks at this rate! I think it could very well happen, but i think the Dolphins might screw that up for them.

Wow...Philly could have 3 top 10 picks at this rate! I think it could very well happen, but i think the Dolphins might screw that up for them.

I am betting the Colts might have wanted that #3 overall pick with the two teams in #1 and #2 not needing QB rather than having to trade for Carson Wentz. Granted we don't know how the season will turn out, but if they end up with the #3 pick next year that they gave away to the Eagles for Wentz, they really blew it. The Jets and Jags are likely to be the top two picks because they are that bad. That means the #3 pick may have their choice of any QB available.

OL sucked during Jete game as well. Not sure what Bill is talking about. In addition, he's done absolutely nothing to make changes. He keeps on putting same product out there. Question is why?
Just a reminder: Bill's first rule of talking to the media is: his focus is on winning games first and foremost.

His second rule: he will never badmouth his own players.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back