PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How confident are you that Jones is "the guy"?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

1 (not at all) to 10 (completely), how certain are you that Mac Jones is the long-term answer at QB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh I agree, I was trying to explain how young QB's take a lot more sacks that vet QB's because of line calls, protection moves before the snap. reading defenses, and speed of the game are all mostly lacking. You know...football related stuff other than, I hate the coach.
If I had to point out a singular reason why the Patriots have been losing, it would be blocking, and I don't mean one player, one position group like OT but the entire team. They have shown little fight in two games and shown up for one, blocking is about desire as much or more than talent. Until they block and play consistently well, until they play they penalty/mistake-free football... we won't see the best of this team. They have the talent to be as good as they want to be.

You are not an adult are you? Anyway, did you know that 2 of the top 3 PFF grades for the Patriots in week 3 were on the oline? You can look all this up if you want.
Who were our lowest graded this past Sunday?

If I had to point out a singular reason why the Patriots have been losing, it would be blocking, and I don't mean one player, one position group like OT but the entire team. They have shown little fight in two games and shown up for one, blocking is about desire as much or more than talent. Until they block and play consistently well, until they play they penalty/mistake-free football... we won't see the best of this team. They have the talent to be as good as they want to be.
I think its just a lot of new. New QB, new players, new position players, everything changed from how it was for a long time, and it takes a little bit to get used to and come together. I mean we have not even really played a good team yet. The thought that the pats would just bounce right back because they spent a lot of money for the first time ever is just not correct. Its going to take awhile to build a core of those guys that can keep things going when other things are dropping.

You are not an adult are you? Anyway, did you know that 2 of the top 3 PFF grades for the Patriots in week 3 were on the oline? You can look all this up if you want.

Again weirdo dude, keeps saying the OLine is fine, now saying the OLine is great. Totally then dissing on whatever Mac failures thereaafter.

Again, I am sorry medicare grandpa, your grandson Josh is NOT doing a good job !! But let's get you to bed and also drink some water.

I think its just a lot of new. New QB, new players, new position players, everything changed from how it was for a long time, and it takes a little bit to get used to and come together. I mean we have not even really played a good team yet. The thought that the pats would just bounce right back because they spent a lot of money for the first time ever is just not correct. Its going to take awhile to build a core of those guys that can keep things going when other things are dropping.
Agree with everything you said except one, they’ve played three good/great defenses and the Saints are a complete team. Having a rookie QB, new players and coaches against tough defenses has contributed to their struggle but there’s no secret sauce… they just need to block and play better.

Its hard to say what the guy is after 3 games even if he had 15 td's right now. So you think the oline just started being bad, and it has nothing to do with pre snap calls, moving protection, holding the ball and the other 50 things rookie QB's do to get sacked a lot? Did you know he has been sacked 6 times this year. In 5 of them, he held the ball longer than 2.5 seconds, there has not been any insta sacks. Its speed of the game, indecision, and lack of experience. A QB has as much to do with getting sacked as the oline does.It didnt all of the sudden forget how to block, there was a change at QB

I think you may be overstating how much the sacks are on Jones. Here is some video:

On this sack, he had no time. You can argue he shouldn't have ran into the defender but he had no time and his receivers were covered.

In this video, it seems clear that the sack is on the o-line and potentially the receivers. I can't say he held the ball too long.

Here is another sack. Again, it is the line that failed him, not that he held the ball too long.

I couldn't find the video of the other three sacks. But I don't see any instance of him holding onto the ball too long. Maybe Jones deserves some of the blame on a couple of the sacks, but it seems that the o-line and receivers were the ones at more fault. On the two Jets sacks, Jones was sacked by defenders who came through unblocked or used a Patriots' lineman like a turnstyle.

Mac is going to get Andrew Lucked and a lot sooner than Luck himself did if they don't fix the problems up front.

Well for the points you made I meant. But not everyone will agree on everything, it's to be expected.
I was just trying to be funny!

I do agree with you and all your comments about the OL. What a disaster the OL appears to be, I haven't been able to watch the games, living in ATL, but I have seen to know it ain't working.

I think you may be overstating how much the sacks are on Jones. Here is some video:

On this sack, he had no time. You can argue he shouldn't have ran into the defender but he had no time and his receivers were covered.

In this video, it seems clear that the sack is on the o-line and potentially the receivers. I can't say he held the ball too long.

Here is another sack. Again, it is the line that failed him, not that he held the ball too long.

I couldn't find the video of the other three sacks. But I don't see any instance of him holding onto the ball too long. Maybe Jones deserves some of the blame on a couple of the sacks, but it seems that the o-line and receivers were the ones at more fault. On the two Jets sacks, Jones was sacked by defenders who came through unblocked or used a Patriots' lineman like a turnstyle.

What do you think of his pocket movement and awareness to this point?

What do you think of his pocket movement and awareness to this point?

For a rookie, it is pretty good. The guy had 18 QB pressures this past weekend and only sacked twice. He seems to be able to avoid the rush and try to make plays.

I think on the first sack I posted, he ran the wrong direction and into the defender which is on him. And there have been several other plays where he made bad choices (like his intentional grounding). But overall I have been impressed with the way he moves around in the pocket especially since he is in a shooting gallery with defenders having jail breaks at him. And he is far more mobile than advertised since people were basically saying he is a statue.

We will not really know how good his pocket presence is until this o-line fixes itself. You can't even expect a seasoned veteran to not make mistakes with the pressure Jones has gotten especially the last two weeks.

Agree with everything you said except one, they’ve played three good/great defenses and the Saints are a complete team. Having a rookie QB, new players and coaches against tough defenses has contributed to their struggle but there’s no secret sauce… they just need to block and play better.
The saints are a mess, they have a good D, but carolina whipped up on them.. The Jets do not have a good anything. Miami got lit up by every team they played except for the patriots.

The saints are a mess, they have a good D, but carolina whipped up on them.. The Jets do not have a good anything. Miami got lit up by every team they played except for the patriots.
Carolina is a good team this year, Miami despite their QB leading the league in interceptions is still a good defense that spends entire games on the field. Jets have a good defensive front, they suck on offense.

These should be stickied as well

Mac is definitely The Guy. He is a superb QB. He has all the skills and mental tools needed. The problem is that he has no one to throw to thanks to the Patriots appalling drafting record for WRs.
Bethel Johnson
Chad Jackson
Brandon Tate
PK Sam
Taylor Price
Aaron Dobson
Josh Boyce
Jeremy Ebert
Jeremy Gallon
Devin Lucien
Malcolm Mitchell
Braxton Berrios
NKeal Harriet
Tre Nixon

Bethel Johnson
Chad Jackson
Brandon Tate
PK Sam
Taylor Price
Aaron Dobson
Josh Boyce
Jeremy Ebert
Jeremy Gallon
Devin Lucien
Malcolm Mitchell
Braxton Berrios
NKeal Harriet
Tre Nixon

Fortunately from 2009-2012 and 2001-2004 those specific years they hit on Givens, Branch, Graham, and then Gronk, Edelman, Hernandez

Fortunately from 2009-2012 and 2001-2004 those specific years they hit on Givens, Branch, Graham, and then Gronk, Edelman, Hernandez

we didn’t always draft poorly. We had some great drafts that led to super bowl titles. But since 2013 it’s been embarrassingly bad for drafting offense

Don’t blame poor drafting of wide receivers on McDaniels . he drafted wide receivers like demaryius thomas and Eric decker

I blame the guy who said Jonathan Baldwin would be as good as Julio Jones

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back