PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How confident are you that Jones is "the guy"?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

1 (not at all) to 10 (completely), how certain are you that Mac Jones is the long-term answer at QB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BTW, I don't believe the Oline is a personnel issue. It is a coaching issue. Remember one of our Oline coaches Cole Popovich resigned over the Covid vax. I think we are seeing effects from that.
One thing on this—most of the articles talking about this said things like "he wouldn't be with the team this season."

Just a reminder: Bill's first rule of talking to the media is: his focus is on winning games first and foremost.

His second rule: he will never badmouth his own players.

If anyone is looking for Belichick to give you a straight and/or truthful answer in a press conference, they are bound to be disappointed. You rarely get what he really feels. He is more open and honest when he is doing his weekly segments with Zo or on WEEI. But even then, you probably won't get him to say anything negative about specific players or position groups.

If anyone is looking for Belichick to give you a straight and/or truthful answer in a press conference, they are bound to be disappointed.
I agree since it's been confirmed he lied to the entire fan base about the reason for benching Malcolm. What a lying sob. That's how I feel. Not sorry.

Satan better than Belichick?

Step back from the crack pipe.
Saban has won it all with different teams and a multitude of QBs. He's got a .799 winning record and the same NFL winning % as Belichick w/o Tom Brady.

Saban >>>> Bill

OL sucked during Jete game as well. Not sure what Bill is talking about. In addition, he's done absolutely nothing to make changes. He keeps on putting same product out there. Question is why?

I don't get why he's not shifting roles and putting the 5 best players out there. He's obsessed with keeping guys in their roles so he throws a stiff out there in Trent browns spot that's breaking the whole line

Saban has won it all with different teams and a multitude of QBs. He's got a .799 winning record and the same NFL winning % as Belichick w/o Tom Brady.

Saban >>>> Bill

College is Abit different than the NFL where talent level is alot closer and you have a salary cap than college teams who can recruit the best players and sometimes have NFL talent going against guys who will be in sales next year.

Look at urban Meyer in the NFL vs college

College is Abit different than the NFL where talent level is alot closer and you have a salary cap than college teams who can recruit the best players and sometimes have NFL talent going against guys who will be in sales next year.

Look at urban Meyer in the NFL vs college
This is the biggest factor by far. There's 0 parity in college football. Still I think if you're objective and purely looking at from a coaching pov and all that it entails. I think it's possible for a college coach to be better. You're dealing with stuck up 18 yo who don't even have to ask for a trade. They can jump into the portal. Anyway NFL is absolutely harder but I think it's possible. Bill has such a resume though, it's so tough to put anyone next to him. Saban is definitely as good imo.

Saban >>>> Bill
It's relevant for sure in this case (strictly comparing him against Bill and post-Brady) but a bunch of college coaches have won with different QB's.

Reasons to argue Saban ...
It's harder to coach and develop younger players. Sure he gets the best but he also churns out guys like Mac Jones (15th overall) , (Josh Jacobs 1st round nobody knew his name before Saban touched him) , James Carpenter (Who, exactly, had no business going round one. In fact there's a video of Saban saying (James Carpenter round one??? Or something like that draft night) There's others I can mention - Ryan Anderson, TJ Yeldon. Dealing with guys like Reuben Foster who couldn't read at a high school level.
Whether they come in at 5 stars or 3 (a lot of that is overblown anyway) he churns out talent that dominate the draft.

Saban might be a better DB coach. There's really not many guys on the planet that can touch him there and from the sound of things he looks to be more involved overall. I think most would agree with coaching defensive backs.

He's as or more flexible imo. If you've watched Bama you know how many style they've won with. Power, spread, RPO - NFL has been stealing from college so those guys are doing it first. He wins with defense one year, offense the next.

I think every player from every recruiting class that stayed 4 years won a championship, maybe 3 years, I forget. He's also won in 3 separate decades.

He's built up multiple college programs into contenders.

He definitely has a case for GOAT HC, college or pros imo. Most of the "who's better" debates are boring to me but that's an interesting one.

Saban >>>> Bill

Alabama basically has their pick of recruits. Saban gets to build super teams every year because the best talent want to play for him.

It will be interesting now that players can get paid if the dynamics shift and Saban can no longer have his choice of players will pan out in the upcoming years. Will Miami make a return into the national spotlight (or USC) because a college player may be able to make more money from outside businesses and boosters in a major city than Alabama. A star player could get paid just to appear at hot clubs during the offseason.

Alabama basically has their pick of recruits. Saban gets to build super teams every year because the best talent want to play for him.

It will be interesting now that players can get paid if the dynamics shift and Saban can no longer have his choice of players will pan out in the upcoming years. Will Miami make a return into the national spotlight (or USC) because a college player may be able to make more money from outside businesses and boosters in a major city than Alabama. A star player could get paid just to appear at hot clubs during the offseason.
Our starting QB, Bryce Young, was the first player to break out with a 800k NIL deal within a week of it going into effect. Everyone says the QB at Bama is highlighted in the media more than any other college football player.

Actually the NIL situation will make easier for Saban to recruit. Those deals are going to players with the highest media exposure and players at Bama have a every high media exposure factor. And you know Saban is playing that up, he was the one that announced the deal Young had made.

Even people you can't stand Saban and Alabama know the NIL deal is best for programs like Bama, Ohio State, OU, etc. It's funny, at every turn people think this or that is going to be the undoing of Saban, but every year he adjusts and keeps on winning!

I don't know if he is Better than BB, but he is best at college and he is the best at making the adjustments needed to win in an ever changing college football landscape.

Our starting QB, Bryce Young, was the first player to break out with a 800k NIL deal within a week of it going into effect. Everyone says the QB at Bama is highlighted in the media more than any other college football player.

Actually the NIL situation will make easier for Saban to recruit. Those deals are going to players with the highest media exposure and players at Bama have a every high media exposure factor. And you know Saban is playing that up, he was the one that announced the deal Young had made.

Even people you can't stand Saban and Alabama know the NIL deal is best for programs like Bama, Ohio State, OU, etc. It's funny, at every turn people think this or that is going to be the undoing of Saban, but every year he adjusts and keeps on winning!

I don't know if he is Better than BB, but he is best at college and he is the best at making the adjustments needed to win in an ever changing college football landscape.

I am talking down the line. Right now it is that Alabama is king. I am talking 3-5 years down the line. Can big city colleges use that to an advantage to attack players now that they can make money outside of the school? It isn't something that can happen overnight, but there are a lot of potential money making opportunities for marquee college player in LA or Miami that you cannot get anywhere else.

The one thing I'm most afraid of with Mac is that he breaks under the pressure he is putting on himself.
Me too. Also playing for Bill and our coaches won't help him with this. It will put even more pressure.

Mac Jones in 2028

1633104099856.gif

Satan better than Belichick?

Step back from the crack pipe.
He was 15-17 in the NFL as HC and was a loser with Belichick at Cleveland. Croats Can't Coach!!!

Sunday night the GOAT will demolish the Croat.

Me too. Also playing for Bill and our coaches won't help him with this. It will put even more pressure.
Hmmm. I think BB and company are a plus in this regard. Bill knows a thing or two about building mental toughness.

I am talking down the line. Right now it is that Alabama is king. I am talking 3-5 years down the line. Can big city colleges use that to an advantage to attack players now that they can make money outside of the school? It isn't something that can happen overnight, but there are a lot of potential money making opportunities for marquee college player in LA or Miami that you cannot get anywhere else.
NIL doesn't limit you to location and NIL is the only way that college football players can legally make money. There will always be the under the table money passed to players and that certainly is not limited to big city colleges. Think about it, Jerry Jones is an Arkansas alumni, those are some deep pockets.

LA and Miami have had their runs no doubt, but I think this particular issue, NIL, will not hender the success of Saban. I think what will happen will Saban is actually what happened with Bear, age. The difference between Saban and Bear being, Bear was a alcoholic and out of shape, Saban is a fitness fanatic.

NIL doesn't limit you to location and NIL is the only way that college football players can legally make money. There will always be the under the table money passed to players and that certainly is not limited to big city colleges. Think about it, Jerry Jones is an Arkansas alumni, those are some deep pockets.

LA and Miami have had their runs no doubt, but I think this particular issue, NIL, will not hender the success of Saban. I think what will happen will Saban is actually what happened with Bear, age. The difference between Saban and Bear being, Bear was a alcoholic and out of shape, Saban is a fitness fanatic.

Well, UMiami was destroyed because they were caught giving money under the table.

Sure there is geographical limitations, but college sports are regional and these kids are still in school. So you are more likely to get endorsement money locally. You are not going to see a lot of players in Alabama to jet off to Miami or LA to make an appearance. And even if they did, how many Alabama fans are there in these areas?

And 3-5 years from now, do even know for sure if Saban will still be coaching or who will be coaching in USC or UMiami.

Well, UMiami was destroyed because they were caught giving money under the table.

Sure there is geographical limitations, but college sports are regional and these kids are still in school. So you are more likely to get endorsement money locally. You are not going to see a lot of players in Alabama to jet off to Miami or LA to make an appearance. And even if they did, how many Alabama fans are there in these areas?

And 3-5 years from now, do even know for sure if Saban will still be coaching or who will be coaching in USC or UMiami.
There have been many schools that got in trouble for passing money under the table, like I said, it happens all the time.

These college players are not flying around making public appearances. I'm not sure what you have heard about NILs, but the legal use of it is very limited to the name, image and likeness. There are photo sessions, but these students are not flying to locations to promote the product.
Sorry but you are wrong about college just being regional, just look at the past big time players for Bama, Najee Harris is from CA, Tua is from HI, and Bryce Young is from CA. Now with social media being what it is, the idea that only SE players will play for SE schools is just a thing of the past.

Saban will be here at least 7 more years. Miss Terry loves Tuscaloosa and hates living in big cities that is part of the reason they left Miami. He is 69 years old, he isn't going anywhere. He is King and I think he likes it. Not sure what you have against him, but he has built a dynasty at Alabama and their are very few people who would argue that. Those who have said it was over, like Cowherd, have been proven wrong over and over again.

As we head into the weekend, let me simply say that I am happy that <10% of folks are in the 1 to 4 range.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back