PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How confident are you that Jones is "the guy"?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

1 (not at all) to 10 (completely), how certain are you that Mac Jones is the long-term answer at QB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That was a tight games where jones needed to be perfect,he wasn't. There are always things that could be improved, and his performance when things break down is one of them. He made a lot of great throws, but threw a pick. He'll get better no doubt, but I wanna see no int when things are this tight. I also blame Bill for not going for it.
The ball sailed on him a bit on that INT, but it wasn't back breaking or anything. It was 3rd down and it essentially ended as a punt. I agree, always room for improvement for everyone especially a rookie. I think for a rookie QB he is handling the breakdowns very well. The O-line has been complete and utter dog **** through 4 games. And many, myself included felt the O-Line, along with the RB's and Secondary were the strengths of this team. So far that is not the case. The O-line can't block a rock and the RB's cannot hold on to the damn football. 2 out of 3 here are bad. And for this kid to be playing the way he is with this **** O-line and lack of run game is impressive. I am hopeful Trent Brown helps when he finally gets back, but I don't see one guy coming back and suddenly the O-line is fixed.

One caveat to that, Mac sets the protection, so it is possible some of the failed pickups on the rush are his fault. We simply do not know. But when you see Karras double teaming a DT with whatever pile of **** happens to be playing RT at the moment and does not peel off to pick up a stunting DE/OLB coming right through the B gap, that is a problem. Now should Karras had peeled off or should Mac have kept the RB in to pick up the blitz etc...I don't know and I don't remember if that was an empty backfield or not. Have to go back and watch it. But either way those are the things that are killing us. Not the rookies jitters or how he handles things when they break down. Because, I know this is a bit of hyperbole, but it seems the protection breaks down on every play.

If we would have drafted Peyton Manning back in the day, and you tried to pose this question based on his 3-4 first games in the NFL, this board would be up in flames.

If the 2021 draft were today and I had Pick #1, I'd take Lawrence.

Pick #2, I'd take Mac Jones (although I think Zach Wilson might turn out pretty damn good, too).

I'm thrilled he fell to the Pats at 15.

As for Lance and Fields, not ready yet, but they could get there. It was a good year for QBs.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Mac's numbers in his first 4 starts are right in the middle of Tannehill, Jackson and Big Ben.
If you got to pick a rookie QB, to restart the franchise, and heard that he'd be performing at the level of those guys in his first month in the NFL,
you'd be pretty excited.
I'm still pissed that 3 of his 4 INTs are drop-tips from his own guys.

Jones needs better poise, at times he looked scared, jittery when the rush is around him. His cool factor needs work, but that will get better with time and hopefully it'll give his coaches confidence to go for it on 4th and short.
Wow, just wow at this take. I must have watched a different game.

Jones seems to have a certain amount of crazy in him. I like it.

“I think it’s just part of the game,” Jones said. “Like backyard football, you’re going to get hit. That’s kind of the fun part of it. You just roll with the punches and get up. And a lot of the stuff — I always say this, and I’m not saying it just to say it, but I can do a better job of whether it’s moving or getting the ball out or just committing to the throw, whatever the throw may be. Just learning from those hits.”
Mac Jones Has Surprising Take On Patriots' Worrisome QB Hit Trend

Also, I gave Mac a 5-6 in the poll. After last night, I'm 7-8 in confidence that he's the guy. Still too early, of course, but I'm starting to really like this kid.

I'd probably make that trade but I'm not as confident as you are in Lawrence. I wasn't impressed with him he looked lost. Burrow on the other hand I'd trade and add draft picks to the pot to get him, but he's not a rookie.
I do not think Sunshine has the same driven persona as Jones. It always has been easy for Lawrence. Jones had to compete his ass off at Bama. See what Trevor does in a dumpster fire. On draft day I would have taken Lawrence, but not now.

His consecutive completion record was impressive . esp considering D knew in advance its a passing play ..
But this stat is just uncanny for a 4 week rookie QB . also - unlike coveted big/explosive plays out of structure - sustainable & foundational

so far Mac is tied with Big Ben and Lamar with 4 TDs and ahead of Baker Mayfield.ll

His consecutive completion record was impressive . esp considering D knew in advance its a passing play ..
But this stat is just uncanny for a 4 week rookie QB . also - unlike coveted big/explosive plays out of structure - sustainable & foundational

Definitely impressive. Interesting that they credit him with zero "turnover-worthy" plays though. I guess they're considering the interception a dropped pass?

9fb2pavnzgr71.gif

Definitely impressive. Interesting that they credit him with zero "turnover-worthy" plays though. I guess they're considering the interception a dropped pass?

Could be debatable but he threw a catchable ball where receiver had advantage albeit in double coverage. Not sure BB was a fan.
Doesn't change the point though.

To the OP…Jones IS the guy.

After watching Jones last night, I am 100 percent sure he is our guy!

it’s the lack of talent around him that scares me. Henry, smith and agular have to play better!

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back