PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How confident are you that Jones is "the guy"?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

1 (not at all) to 10 (completely), how certain are you that Mac Jones is the long-term answer at QB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mac is "the guy", but he's Mac, not TB12 or anyone else. Athletically and skill wise he looks like Tony Eason, but with toughness and swagger. Also reminds me of Chad Pennington.

Mac to date under pressure. He's only getting 1.3 seconds on average before pocket collapses or throw (tied for 2nd least in the league). Blitzed 25 times, 7 hurries, 8 hits, 6 sacks, 3 scrambles on designed pass plays. I was sure these numbers were higher than this, they must be using a different criteria.

He doesn't get panicky happy feet like Stidham does under pressure but I wish he wouldn't throw off his back foot as much. He paid for it on his first INT. But there's absolutely no way you can answer the question either way about whether Mac is the guy if he's getting this kind of pressure every single game. How do you evaluate a guy that's facing this? It can't be done. And if Mac takes one too many of these hits and goes down for the year, the Pats are looking at being a team in the top 3 at the draft in April.
Fix it Bill.

1632762014410.png

He wasn’t as bad as the stats line would say he got a guy in his face everytime he throws. Now, how much is it the OL playing like crap or Mac screwing up the protection?
I think it's 50/50, even Brady got sacked on 9% of his dropbacks in 2001, Mac is at 4.8% right now. So Brady must have been getting hit a good amount too.

Mac is "the guy", but he's Mac, not TB12 or anyone else. Athletically and skill wise he looks like Tony Eason, but with toughness and swagger. Also reminds me of Chad Pennington.
Which is why I didn't say "GOAT 2.0" or "lead the Pats to multiple Super Bowls" or whatever. Just that he's good enough that they're not actively looking for someone better.

Mac Jones is literally the one bright spot over the past 3 weeks, forget the box score and just look at how he’s played despite the struggles, and I’m legitimately concerned that if he continues to get as shell shocked as he has been the team is gonna destroy him like Sam Darnold.

Very confident. His O line has been crap yet he’s performed remarkably well. Fix the line, get Jonnu’s head right and he’ll be just fine.

At least the hand wringing over Fields is put to bed. There's good reason to believe at this point that Fields is not an NFL caliber QB. Imagine giving up a first round pick to move up to get him instead of Mac.

That move might have convinced me to join Team #FireBelichick. LOL

Very confident. His O line has been crap yet he’s performed remarkably well. Fix the line, get Jonnu’s head right and he’ll be just fine.
What is remarkably well?

I think it's 50/50, even Brady got sacked on 9% of his dropbacks in 2001, Mac is at 4.8% right now. So Brady must have been getting hit a good amount too.
The line is better now than it was then. As bad as the line seems to look, its better than it was 2 years ago. A rook or a first year starter take more hits and sacks, its the natural progression. A QB does a lot of things that do not get noticed that make the Oline seem better.

The line is better now than it was then. As bad as the line seems to look, its better than it was 2 years ago. A rook or a first year starter take more hits and sacks, its the natural progression. A QB does a lot of things that do not get noticed that make the Oline seem better.
I dont know about that. Mac has a close to league low of 1.3 seconds from snap to pressure. Right now they might be better off putting blocking pads out there. At least they have to run around those.

Mac Jones is literally the one bright spot over the past 3 weeks, forget the box score and just look at how he’s played despite the struggles, and I’m legitimately concerned that if he continues to get as shell shocked as he has been the team is gonna destroy him like Sam Darnold.

Or destroyed like Sam Bradford who actually the exact same oc did destroy in St Louis'11...

Reminds me of Pennington...will never be a strong arm guy but good decision making and accuracy

I am the 45 one

I'm fairly confident but let's protect him and make it easier for him. He's a rookie there will be growing pains. I do love the intelligence, swag and competitiveness

What is remarkably well?
Based on the number of hits he’s taken, the pressure he’s seen and lack of support he’s gotten from some of his targets, he’s performed remarkably well for only having played 3 NFL games.

Jared Goff/Kirk Cousins but with better intangibles. He can look good depending on the scheme and players around him.

At Alabama he had

- A receiver who seemingly had 3+ yards of separation every play.

- A tremendous running back who was also a threat to turn any dump off into a big play.

- One of the best pass blocking lines I’ve seen in my 17 years of watching college football.

I’m not even going to include Waddle since he only played 6 games.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back