PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How confident are you that Jones is "the guy"?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

1 (not at all) to 10 (completely), how certain are you that Mac Jones is the long-term answer at QB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He wasn’t as bad as the stats line would say he got a guy in his face everytime he throws. Now, how much is it the OL playing like crap or Mac screwing up the protection?
Problem is it won't get any easier with games against Bucs this week and then 3 in a row (2 OTR) against LAC, CAR, CLE, all teams with good pass rushes. They could be 3 - 7 by Week 10.

Every team is gonna go after Mac just like they're doing against the other rookie QBs:

Rookie QBs:
W-L: 1- 9
TD-INT: 10 - 18
Sacks: 37

Here's more evidence of concerns over his deep ball. He misses big, doesn't have strength, they flutter. Just bad all around. What's the difference between how he's throwing deep passes now and what you guys saw at Alabama.

I think you consistently give great opinions based on evidence and reason. But here I gotta push back. When you're pressured 18 times and also have to rush 6 times, Mac is constantly under attack as the OLine flat out sucks. So all this charting doesn't give any meaningful info. You can't throw a 15 yard pass when a guy is about to launch into your ribs repeatedly. I would say stack up EVERY single "missed" deep throw and let me see the clip, highly likely there is an unblocked defender going full speed at Mac's torso. I don't think any of these depth graphs are usable at all until the OLine gets to under 10 total pressures per game. Otherwise the story is the OLine sucks and nobody can realistically throw beyond 6 yards with immediate pressure breaking through constantly. Even the Bourne TD Mac had to throw immediately off his back foot and hope Bourne would make an adjustment. On the other hand with protection there's plenty of tape that Mac can make all the deep throws accurately if he can set his feet.

I feel pretty good about him. He looks like he has a ways to go but once he puts it together he's going to be a very good NFL QB. The line is playing pretty terribly and the running game isn't giving him much support. He has shown accuracy and solid decision making when he isn't being demolished in half a second by incoming rushers.

They need to block better and play better across the board, Mac isn't the problem.

Do we still want Justin Fields instead? :rofl:

I am pretty confident about Jones, not comparing to Brady but being a good QB who can bring us lot of joy and happiness. Give him time, support him and gather talents around him. What is more Jones' face after the Saints loss is the clear evidence he is so ambitious and hates losing games.

I think you consistently give great opinions based on evidence and reason. But here I gotta push back. When you're pressured 18 times and also have to rush 6 times, Mac is constantly under attack as the OLine flat out sucks. So all this charting doesn't give any meaningful info. You can't throw a 15 yard pass when a guy is about to launch into your ribs repeatedly. I would say stack up EVERY single "missed" deep throw and let me see the clip, highly likely there is an unblocked defender going full speed at Mac's torso. I don't think any of these depth graphs are usable at all until the OLine gets to under 10 total pressures per game. Otherwise the story is the OLine sucks and nobody can realistically throw beyond 6 yards with immediate pressure breaking through constantly. Even the Bourne TD Mac had to throw immediately off his back foot and hope Bourne would make an adjustment. On the other hand with protection there's plenty of tape that Mac can make all the deep throws accurately if he can set his feet.
How often do you think any NFL QB is getting a clean pocket when throwing a deep ball? By nature of the play, you are holding the ball to let the receiver get open down the field. The difference between a good NFL QB and a great one is being able to make throws with pressure and traffic.
The good news is Mac is only in game 3. There is plenty of time but right now he doesn't have it.

How often do you think any NFL QB is getting a clean pocket when throwing a deep ball? By nature of the play, you are holding the ball to let the receiver get open down the field. The difference between a good NFL QB and a great one is being able to make throws with pressure and traffic.
The good news is Mac is only in game 3. There is plenty of time but right now he doesn't have it.

Mac isn't playing under even a normal pocket with occasional pressure. The OLine is maybe the worst in the entire league. Take every tease of how the Jets wreck QBs, or David Carr, or Andrew Luck, that is happening right now to Mac Jones.

9-10. The kid is extremely competitive. He wants to be great. He is accountable, there is no loser mentality. He takes the blame instead of pointing the finger at his under performing team mates and coaches.
This was not a good look. Winston had to go all the way to the bench to shake his hand.

Screenshot_20210927-095559_Firefox.jpg

Mac isn't playing under even a normal pocket with occasional pressure. The OLine is maybe the worst in the entire league. Take every tease of how the Jets wreck QBs, or David Carr, or Andrew Luck, that is happening right now to Mac Jones.

This is an exaggeration. Once Aints went up in 2nd half, they just rushed 4 and Mac had plenty of time to make throws. He made some but also missed quite a few. Threw several into double & triple coverage that could've been picks w/ normal pressure. Blaming all his play 100% on the OL is giving him a huge pass. We need to be objective here.

Jonnu "Hands of Stone" Smith
Saints secondary allowed a lot of free reign by the zebras
Play-calling by the OC was, umm, not good

The kid will be fine. The team? They've got issues.

I did not read the entire thread, so it may already have been mentioned.

Let's take a moment to remember that this Saints team made Aaron Rodger look like a total clown in week 1. They also made Brady look bad, twice, last year.

Mac got crushed yesterday and many of it is not his fault. At this point, what I care about is how he responds to the ass kicking... especially considering there is likely another one coming his way this coming Sunday. How does he respond to adversity? That's how we'll know if he is the one.

I think the talent is there. I think he is very good at the intellectual aspects of the game. I think he can make all the throws and I usually like his decision-making. He seems to be a stand-up guy and his teammates seem to respond well to him. All of that his encouraging. I repeat, what will make or break him is his ability to respond to adversity. Yesterday was his first taste of real adversity.

To answer the question, I am quite confident he will rebound and be better. I think he will be the guy for the next 10 years. The only question I have is will he be a middle of the pack guy or a top guy.

I did not read the entire thread, so it may already have been mentioned.

Let's take a moment to remember that this Saints team made Aaron Rodger look like a total clown in week 1. They also made Brady look bad, twice, last year.

Mac got crushed yesterday and many of it is not his fault. At this point, what I care about is how he responds to the ass kicking... especially considering there is likely another one coming his way this coming Sunday. How does he respond to adversity? That's how we'll know if he is the one.

I think the talent is there. I think he is very good at the intellectual aspects of the game. I think he can make all the throws and I usually like his decision-making. He seems to be a stand-up guy and his teammates seem to respond well to him. All of that his encouraging. I repeat, what will make or break him is his ability to respond to adversity. Yesterday was his first taste of real adversity.

To answer the question, I am quite confident he will rebound and be better. I think he will be the guy for the next 10 years. The only question I have is will he be a middle of the pack guy or a top guy.
Agree with all this. Brady himself would have had the same results yesterday, as he had in his final playoff game here. NO has a great defense, one of the best if not THE best in the NFL. Last season they rolled Tampa Bay twice, and they beat the Packers 38-3 three weeks ago.

Until we get Trent Brown back, we're going nowhere cause we can't run the ball without him. He's the mismatch we need up front, it all works with him and none of it works without him. If he's back against Tampa, the offense will look noticeably better.

Our WR's look good enough, the TE's will improve. We made a mistake trading Michel, which was basically a Stevenson for Sony swap. Then a week or 2 later we lose all faith in Stevenson? That, together with Trent Brown missing all 3 games so far, is the root of our offensive problems.

Mac Jones looks great given all this, he's the least of our problems. He's getting a crash course facing very good defenses against a very suspect OL, with turmoil in his backfield, and all new receivers to get adjusted to.

IIRC, he was blitzed more in the first two weeks than Lawrence and Wilson combined.
Which in retrospect, later on down the line will be a blessing. The more he see’s the more knowledge of situational football he soaks up. It was frustrating but its going to be so fun when he figures it out.

Can’t believe some on this board keeps comparing whats happening to a rookie vs what a 20 year veteran did in a system he’d been in his entire career. I’ve got another ride or 2 left in me for this teams building process. Such a spoiled fan base to think they’d never have to rebuild or have to take their lumps as fans at some point after Brady left.

Still very confident in Mac. If they find a way to give him more time in the pocket he is going to do damage.

They need to block better and play better across the board, Mac isn't the problem.

Not just wanting Fields but wanting to trade what for sure would have been a first rounder to move up to get him.

Went 3 or 4 because it appears our team is trash overall for the foreseeable future. He does seem talented and will probably do well with his next team.

Fields is EXACTLY What we have come to expect from an Ohio State QB in the NFL.

Disappointed yes...but not at Mac......Hands of stone Recievers, Pourous OL, Sitting Harris and playing Bolden, No pressure on NO QB, Kamara running all over the DL/LB, Lots of culprits in the loss besides blaming the rookie.....next week I expect a big improvement on Offense.....Defense is what it is until Gilmore returns.....

Buc lost so next week will test the Pats for sure......Let's see how Pats respond vs how TB and Bucs respond.....

Do Pats roll over or do they show character......they may surprise us....

Mac is not the guy.

Think Jon Kitna

8/10. TB12 did not light it up statistically his first year as a starter:
18 TD's 12 INT's 63.9% 189 yds/game and 86.5 rating. He was also sacked 41 times. TB also had the luxury of holding the clipboard for a year.
I do strongly believe in BB's ability to develop a QB. (Remember TB was a 6th Rd pick with a softer boby than MJ has now) and I think MJ has the tools that will make him a very good QB in the NFL. For me, this year is a learning year. I'm confident he'll be a top 12 QB next year and a perennial top 8 after that.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back