PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How confident are you that Jones is "the guy"?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

1 (not at all) to 10 (completely), how certain are you that Mac Jones is the long-term answer at QB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jared Goff/Kirk Cousins but with better intangibles. He can look good depending on the scheme and players around him.

At Alabama he had

- A receiver who seemingly had 3+ yards of separation every play.

- A tremendous running back who was also a threat to turn any dump off into a big play.

- One of the best pass blocking lines I’ve seen in my 17 years of watching college football.

I’m not even going to include Waddle since he only played 6 games.

I don't know that that's fair. Burrows had a stacked roster he played in and so did Lawrence. It's not easy to break the all time completion% in the hardest college conference in the country.

The only other person I've seen who keeps comparing Mac to Cousins is a fake expert construction worker who doesn't know how to analyze information. I don't even get why this comp is mentioned as a knock.

Now that September is over . . . How confident are you that Mac Jones has the talent to lead this team for the next five years? [Obviously, I would love for it to be longer, but I'll take five years for now.]

Please note that this is intended to be purely a question of what Jones has shown in terms of his physical and mental abilities.

So far, I'd rate him an 8—he's been everything I expected, and some (but not all) of what I hoped.
Mac is definitely The Guy. He is a superb QB. He has all the skills and mental tools needed. The problem is that he has no one to throw to thanks to the Patriots appalling drafting record for WRs.

Not confident. From the minute he was picked he has been inexcusably over rated. He will be an average NFL QB

Ha, I disagree. He is the steal of the draft, at least among QBs. Of course if the OL cannot protect him and he has no open WRs, then he will have problems, but those problems are not because lack of skill or motivation. Unfortunately the WR situation does not seem fixable this year and, given BB's blind spot, it is not fixable in next year's draft. No matter how many time BB screws up drafting WRs, he does not seem able to correct his behavior.

Mac Jones might be playing the best of rookie QBs right now. Fields had 68 yards and took 9 sacks.Trever Lawrence has 54% completion percentage and 7 picks so far

Josh Allen rookie year he had 52% completion percentage and threw 10 TDS to 12 picks.

Maybe you can't judge a rookie QB off 3 games. What I do know is Mac Jones can be successful in this system the same way Jimmy G was. I see him as a younger Jimmy G.

They need to block better and play better across the board, Mac isn't the problem.

Do we still want Justin Fields?
So Wac Jones problem was the oline but the Fields not so much? Got it.

I mean with a sh*t Oline, Jones is still playing the best

Xxx-deleted

I agree that Jones is the best rookie QB so far but are you guys really blaming our WRs?

Love him ... what a pleasant surprise. I hope we don't get him killed though behind this "top 5" line (I believed that too).

Ha, I disagree. He is the steal of the draft, at least among QBs. Of course if the OL cannot protect him and he has no open WRs, then he will have problems, but those problems are not because lack of skill or motivation. Unfortunately the WR situation does not seem fixable this year and, given BB's blind spot, it is not fixable in next year's draft. No matter how many time BB screws up drafting WRs, he does not seem able to correct his behavior.
If I ranked them, this pass catching group here would be in the top 10 in the last 20 years. I am not sure that is the issue. Some of it is injury, some is jones being new to the NFL, some passes are late getting out, some protection issues so that people are not getting open quicker, etc etc.

No doubt, BB has not done him any favors with the OL in particular. It is very difficult to assess his potential when OL is completely failing him. As a patriots fan, I hope all of you are right and he turns out to be a top 10 QB. If he can process reads and make smart decisions that is 75% of the challenge.

No doubt, BB has not done him any favors with the OL in particular. It is very difficult to assess his potential when OL is completely failing him. As a patriots fan, I hope all of you are right and he turns out to be a top 10 QB. If he can process reads and make smart decisions that is 75% of the challenge.
I think him developing a lot of pre snap reads and when he is able to move things around and point out where the pressure is, this will help the oline a bit. I mean a lot of these guys are the same players blocking that Brady had. Young QB's have issues in this area early on. There are not any olines that are just going to cold block for 5 seconds out there, so they might just have to make due.

I agree that Jones is the best rookie QB so far but are you guys really blaming our WRs?

I don't. I blame McDaniels. He's getting exposed as a below average play caller these last 2 years without Brady. But really his 1 year with the Rams as the OC should have done that. In a year where Pats, Saints and Packers all averaged more than 32 points, Rams averaged 12 points a game (last in the league). They threw only 9 TDs all season and 10 INTs. Weird how Newton last year threw more INTs than TDs and weird in his only 2 years without OC'ing Brady, McDaniels OC'd teams have thrown 9 & 12 TDs. Weird how another year without Brady his offense is on pace to throw more INTs than TDs and is on pace of throwing in that 9-12 TD range.

McDaniels is about 90% of the problem. 5% is Mac being a rookie, 5% is the play of the guys around him (blocking, receivers not being able to hold onto the ball, etc)

I don't. I blame McDaniels. He's getting exposed as a below average play caller these last 2 years without Brady. But really his 1 year with the Rams as the OC should have done that. In a year where Pats, Saints and Packers all averaged more than 32 points, Rams averaged 12 points a game (last in the league). They threw only 9 TDs all season and 10 INTs. Weird how Newton last year threw more INTs than TDs and weird in his only 2 years without OC'ing Brady, McDaniels OC'd teams have thrown 9 & 12 TDs. Weird how another year without Brady his offensive is on pace to throw more INTs than TDs and is on pace of throwing in that 9-12 TD range.

McDaniels is about 90% of the problem. 5% is Mac being a rookie, 5% is the play of the guys around him (blocking, receivers not being able to hold onto the ball, etc)
Yeah disagree with that. No way its 90 percent the OC. lol. I mean he is not wonderful, but You said it yourself, he does not have Brady, so a lot more of it is Mac is a rookie with 3 games under his belt. I am not sure there is an amazing way as a coach to just make that amazing. You are limited on exactly what you can do, the playbook is obviously not wide open.

No doubt, BB has not done him any favors with the OL in particular

Oh jog the feck on.

Andrews and Mason were part of multiple SB winning OLs.
Ownenu was the steal of the 2020 draft
Wynn is serviceable
Brown has been out (but also another guy that was part of a SB winning Pats OL)

Maybe it's time to get a new OC.

They need to fire Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace immediately.

I would say that 70% of the problem is that the receivers cannot get open and 30% is the OL. No OL can hold off the Huns forever while the QB waits for the WRs to get open.

I don't. I blame McDaniels. He's getting exposed as a below average play caller these last 2 years without Brady. But really his 1 year with the Rams as the OC should have done that. In a year where Pats, Saints and Packers all averaged more than 32 points, Rams averaged 12 points a game (last in the league). They threw only 9 TDs all season and 10 INTs. Weird how Newton last year threw more INTs than TDs and weird in his only 2 years without OC'ing Brady, McDaniels OC'd teams have thrown 9 & 12 TDs. Weird how another year without Brady his offense is on pace to throw more INTs than TDs and is on pace of throwing in that 9-12 TD range.

Well said.

Wasn't just the Rams when he ruined Sam Bradford and had the worst offense in the entire league in 2011. In 2010 he was fired in Denver after they lost 17 of their last 22 games. And as you noted the Pats offense has been crap since AB was cut Oct'19 to now, going on 2 years now.

When I hear all the excuses that the receivers can't get open or whatever other crap, this is all still McDaniels. The same sh-t comes up with this guy EVERY single time he's running the offense. No clue how to use TEs, OLine can't pass protect, receivers can't get open. Go look up 2005/2006, the exact same excuses being thrown around for this guy. He's a total fraud. Tom Brady carried/masked his fraud-ness for 15 yrs.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back