PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hogan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hogan is on the wrong side of 30. Hasn’t anyone hit 30 here? Your legs and speed is the first thing that goes.

Cousin, I see a problem with Hogan in that he has seemed to have lost Brady's confidence. Brady fed him plenty (53) but Dorsett out played him statistically. He had 73.4% of the snaps to Dorsett's 48.7% and only caught 3 more passes. This is telling. Dorsett had 7 red zone receptions and Hogan only 3? Found an interesting stat. Dorsett had a 1.69 Target separation and 1.41

I'm all in on letting Dorsett get a WR3 role and seeing what he can do with it. But, when we look at the numbers, we still need context to try to be fair. When Edelman and Gordon had yet to join the team, Hogan was serving at the WR1, and Dorsett was the WR2, each facing the appropriate opposition. So Hogan was up against better competition. And it was Dorsett, not Hogan, who was getting the bench splinters after Edelman and Gordon started playing.

For me, it's about a potentially declining player versus a still young player who has room to grow and is already on about the same level as the older guy, and the desire to keep only one of them. It's about wanting the team to bring in a draftee or two to go along with Edelman, Dorsett rather than Hogan, and a WR1/WR2 (Gordon or otherwise).

I'm all in on letting Dorsett get a WR3 role and seeing what he can do with it. But, when we look at the numbers, we still need context to try to be fair. When Edelman and Gordon had yet to join the team, Hogan was serving at the WR1, and Dorsett was the WR2, each facing the appropriate opposition. So Hogan was up against better competition. And it was Dorsett, not Hogan, who was getting the bench splinters after Edelman and Gordon started playing.

For me, it's about a potentially declining player versus a still young player who has room to grow and is already on about the same level as the older guy, and the desire to keep only one of them. It's about wanting the team to bring in a draftee or two to go along with Edelman, Dorsett rather than Hogan, and a WR1/WR2 (Gordon or otherwise).
Or bring them both in along with a high-ish draft pick and let them all battle it out for playing time.
While he may in fact be worst case, we know we can make it work with hogan if necessary.

First 2 years with the Patriots he did really well. He was great on SB51 and 52. I thought it would be difficult to keep him when free agent because he would be the typical overpaid WR that gets more than we are willing to pay.

This past year though he was awful and since the last impression is the one that sticks, I think there is not much of a market for him out there, might as well have none.

Let's not forget his one handed catch against KC, saved the day. If he was dealing with injuries, bring him back, otherwise please draft 3 WR in the draft.

Fair
DW Toys

Great post. If they hadn't already signed Dorsett, I'd be much more in the camp to get Hogan back.

If they're expecting anything from Gordon, adding JE, Dorsett, and Hogan makes it tough for any rookie to come in. Unless they really believe Dorsett will break out and be Cooks 2.0 (and why would you think that at this point?), I'd love to see some new blood, either a vet who might prove better in the system or a rookie with high potential.

I think you're on to something here. Hogan is most effective alongside other legitimate threats on the field. He's never been a No. 1 guy but can really shine in a niche role. I think he was forced into situations last season that didn't play to his strengths, plus I suspect he was battling injury. He's a veteran of the Pats' system, I wouldn't give up on him just yet.
I think you’re on to something here :D

Hogan is on the wrong side of 30. Hasn’t anyone hit 30 here? Your legs and speed is the first thing that goes.

His legs and speed never came back after the injury he had a while back!

He has two rings and a lot of good memories, but it is time for him to sail on down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft