PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hogan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Queue your inner Hogan's Hero (late 1960s television comedy)

Hogan! Hogan!

Thoughts on bringing him back? Can't think there is much of a market. This would allow the Patriots to return with pretty much the full Superbowl set of WRs.

Pros
- knows system
- should be relatively low cost

Cons
- seemed like a shell of himself last season, not on same page as Brady

Maybe people like other options
- Cobbs - should be short money, coming off injuries and is only a slot guy
- Nelson - likely an upgrade over Hogan, bring outside presence for more money

Add in a couple of draft picks plus Hogan and it doesn't look as dire.

I would rate the options as:
  1. Jordan
  2. Hogan
  3. Cobbs

Thoughts?

I think it's best for both sides to move on. Would like a vet with special teams value (save Edelman returning punts for the big games + playoffs). Cobb would make sense.

Might as well. Worst case, they cut him during pre-season.

I'm fine bringing him back for minimal dollars. There's always a decent risk for any WR we bring in to wash out here, so having someone we know has fit in the past is good insurance. I wouldn't be counting him for anything more than that though.

Nice write up. Like you said....him and Tom were not on the same page. Wondering how that just happens out of nowhere it seems. My preferable order is...
  1. Nelson
  2. Cobbs
  3. Hogan's Heroes
I should photoshop this with Chris' head...

yeNAa-1459970341-306-lists-hogansheroes_1200.jpg

Last edited:
I'd prefer Nelson.

I definitely would prefer Nelson. I think maybe bring back Hogan as a last resort. He does know the system and seems to be ok against zone defenses, but put him against a defense that plays man and he seems now to have a difficult time getting any separation. I'd say if we decide to bring him back as a last option, sign him to a one year deal.

Yeah, time to move on. I hope he lands with the Jets/Giants as he lives in NY/NJ.

I'd only be OK if he came back for super cheap....dunno what happened to him last year...he was never a #1 receiver, but should have been more solid last year...

he blows. No need to bring him back

I'd only want him back if the price is cheap enough that he can be cut before the season with minimal cap investment. I'd say his utility is basically limited to his ability to establish a baseline of WR4 performance that we can hopefully exceed by looking elsewhere.

The one major caveat is that if he played through some major injury last season, the likes of which the Pats think he will recover from 100% over the offseason, then you can probably make him your WR4 with confidence.

Yeah, time to move on. I hope he lands with the Jets/Giants as he lives in NY/NJ.

I'd only be OK if he came back for super cheap....dunno what happened to him last year...he was never a #1 receiver, but should have been more solid last year...

Absolutely right..never should have been a #1...it didn't work out well and messed up his and Tom's confidence mojo hooking up since.

He can’t get any separation on his own, every single play he makes has to be designed to get him open.

I mean we were the 4th ranked offense, 8th ranked passing offense and won the Sb with 30+ ppg in the post season and he played the most snaps of any wr and 72% of all of them.
We brought back the guy who was clearly behind him in the depth chart all season and only played less than half as many snaps so why not?
I get that improving on him would be nice and WRs who catch a couple of passes a game and block great aren’t the rage but hard to argue the results we have had with him as a piece of the puzzle.
His numbers have been pretty consistent and he’s pkayed 72, 52 ( in 9 games which is the equivalent of 90% he was healthy for) and 72% of the snaps since coming here and we’ve been in the Sb every year. (And he kit it up for 6/128/1 in the Ins we lost).

Chris Hogan seems like a great guy, but I don't think the team should bring him back. He regressed so much last year it's hard to think there isn't a better option out there.

The question is simple: "What happened last year?". The answer to that gives us the answer to whether or not we should want to see him back in New England.

And we don't know that answer. So, in the absence of evidence of severe enough injury or other issue, I wish him well elsewhere.

Probably would still be good vs zone teams. Man schemes, however, effectively wipe him out because he can get no consistent separation.

I'd take him back in a sec for the right price. Some vet min, incentive deal. Some of you make it out like he is totally useless. He would be a super #4 WR. Knows the system well etc. He would be catching a ball a game etc.

If you can get him at the right price, why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes