PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hogan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saying, Dez Bryant at veterans minimum ?

It would be like going back with your somewhat ugly ex.

But sometimes a team does what it gotta do.

Hogan is a fine WR4. 35 catches. 400-500 yds and a handful of TDs every year. Played a lot of STs last year as well.
In most years over TBs career the Pats had a #4 WR who does half tp 1/3rd of that.

Gaffneywas 36/449 in 2007 and Thompkons similar output in 13 - probably the only outliers.

I saw the title of this thread and heard it in Burkhalter’s voice before I clicked and read your reference!

I doubt Hogan is back here. I think a mutual parting is best for both the team and him. I wish him well though.

If Hogan does leave, I won’t miss the weekly deep passes going incomplete to him.

In this offense he's simply not getting open as much as he used to.
Seems he was open more when we had a healthy Gronk - I could be wrong.

Love how he lollygagged it the 1st 5 yrds then booked it to the endzone. Great deception.

We were at that game sitting in the end zone and as Brady got the ball back I turned to my son and said "he's got Hogan." It was one of the highlights of our great win in the AFCC.

Hogan's stats* since 2014 are really consistent around 35 catches for 500-ish yards every year with 2018 right in line.

Chris Hogan: Career Stats at NFL.com

* (yea, I watched the games, he didn't look anywhere near as good on the eye test).

All said, it would be neat for BB to find the new 2016 Hogan i.e., a guy nobody's heard of with an unremarkable draft status and history who turns out to be a great fit. Welker and Woodhead (and even Jules) had these distinctions pre-Patriots.

Anyone here know of any players nobody has heard of?

Hogan's stats* since 2014 are really consistent around 35 catches for 500-ish yards every year with 2018 right in line.

Chris Hogan: Career Stats at NFL.com

* (yea, I watched the games, he didn't look anywhere near as good on the eye test).

All said, it would be neat for BB to find the new 2016 Hogan i.e., a guy nobody's heard of with an unremarkable draft status and history who turns out to be a great fit. Welker and Woodhead (and even Jules) had these distinctions pre-Patriots.

Anyone here know of any players nobody has heard of?

There’s a few at Georgetown who play lacrosse

He can't get separation anymore, and he doesn't make contested catches. Not an ideal combination.

I think if he's still out there week 1, we might bring him back, dependant on who we've drafted and/or picked up by then

If Hogan does leave, I won’t miss the weekly deep passes going incomplete to him.
Interesting thing is he was actually really good at it in 2016. It hasn't really worked since.

Hogan is a fine WR4. 35 catches. 400-500 yds and a handful of TDs every year. Played a lot of STs last year as well.

That’s good for wr4, but he has been our wr2 and sometimes 1.

The raw numbers on Hogan are not terrible but when you look at how many chances he got last year, he was indeed awful and Dorsett will be an upgrade, even more so as WR3.

So the consensus around here is that Dorsett is better than Hogan??:confused: I am going to go out on a limb and say that Brady disagrees. That said Dorsett only got a one year deal so I don't think they are depending on him also I expect a couple of Rookie WR's via the Draft. And I am going to confidently say those Rookies will be better than Dorsett.

In this offense he's simply not getting open as much as he used to.
Seems he was open more when we had a healthy Gronk - I could be wrong.
I think you're on to something here. Hogan is most effective alongside other legitimate threats on the field. He's never been a No. 1 guy but can really shine in a niche role. I think he was forced into situations last season that didn't play to his strengths, plus I suspect he was battling injury. He's a veteran of the Pats' system, I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

People are being excessively negative on Hogan. We might not keep him anyway, but probably not because he "sucks" or "can't get open" or "drops footballs." hogan had the second highest catch % on the team, second only to, of all people, Phillip Dorsett. He was kept quiet in the playoffs this year, but made noise in the last 2 playoffs. I honestly think he was largely a victim of his own success last year, he's getting better known and so won't be slipping under the radar as much. That happens a player has success.

The question is simple: "What happened last year?". The answer to that gives us the answer to whether or not we should want to see him back in New England.

And we don't know that answer. So, in the absence of evidence of severe enough injury or other issue, I wish him well elsewhere.
Cousin, I see a problem with Hogan in that he has seemed to have lost Brady's confidence. Brady fed him plenty (53) but Dorsett out played him statistically. He had 73.4% of the snaps to Dorsett's 48.7% and only caught 3 more passes. This is telling. Dorsett had 7 red zone receptions and Hogan only 3? Found an interesting stat. Dorsett had a 1.69 Target separation and 1.41

Phillip Dorsett - Player Profile Advanced Football Stats, Metrics & Analytics

I like Hogan a lot, but perhaps a change of venue......or maybe he was hurt?

I think you can get Rishard Higgins. He player 56.5% of the snaps and had more receptions and yards than Hogan with a rookie QB. His true catch rate was $5 in the League. Will cost a fifth (Cleveland had 3 already but we can negotiate as we do not have one) and his salary is a little over $2mm (probably what Hogan wants). With OBJ I think Higgins loses snaps and the Browns would let him go. He's on his last year and only 24.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing