PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hogan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s bye to Hogan. In my opinion it was either Dorsett or Hogan to bring back, but not both. We need an outside WR who can gain separation and put a bit of pressure on the D, and that’s not Hogan. In the SB the Rams singled him and he did absolutely nothing.

We need to draft 1 or 2 and pray Belichick can hit on one. If there’s the possibility of a trade we got to explore that as well.

Better than abominations like Ellington and Harris.

Hogan > the garbage they currently have at WR. They would be fools not to bring him back. But ofcourse the Pats WR evaluating is off the charts so what do I know. :rolleyes:

Nice write up. Like you said....him and Tom were not on the same page. Wondering how that just happens out of nowhere it seems. My preferable order is...
  1. Nelson
  2. Cobbs
  3. Hogan's Heroes
I should photoshop this with Chris' head...

yeNAa-1459970341-306-lists-hogansheroes_1200.jpg
Poor Hogan. He's become Shultzie ("I see nothing!")

Hogan > the garbage they currently have at WR. They would be fools not to bring him back. But ofcourse the Pats WR evaluating is off the charts so what do I know. :rolleyes:
Oh yeah, that Edelman, he stinks!

It’s good if a wr knows the system but it’s useless if he can’t get any separation no matter what routes he ran.

The question is simple: "What happened last year?". The answer to that gives us the answer to whether or not we should want to see him back in New England.

And we don't know that answer. So, in the absence of evidence of severe enough injury or other issue, I wish him well elsewhere.

He was asked to be WR1 the 1st 4 games while Jules was out...he didn't cut it. I think that created some physiological issues. These are my opinions.

Nice write up. Like you said....him and Tom were not on the same page. Wondering how that just happens out of nowhere it seems. My preferable order is...
  1. Nelson
  2. Cobbs
  3. Hogan's Heroes
I should photoshop this with Chris' head...

yeNAa-1459970341-306-lists-hogansheroes_1200.jpg
That is a marvelous photo!

That is a marvelous photo!

Jete coaching staff drawing up game plans against the Patriots ....

Burkhalter:"Amazing. You obviously worked hard on these plans, Klink."
Klink:"Thank you General Burkhalter. I have given it many hours of intelligent thoughts."
Burkhalter:"That's what's so amazing."

Last edited:
Hogan's Heroes was before my time. But I did watch The Hogan's with Jason Bateman.

This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately thread. Hogan looked bad in the Superebowl, sure - don't know off the top of my had who had him, but the Rams neutralized him.

During the year, he had a 64% catch rate and over 500 yards.

8/12 for 58 yards in the two other playoff games, with 5/7/45 against KC, including at least one clutch catch on a necessary drive.

I'd prefer Nelson, but I expect a lot of other teams would, too, so he'll be more expensive. It's all about the money with Hogan. I'd rather have him on the roster than not if they don't get Nelson or someone in a trade (Shepard?).

This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately thread. Hogan looked bad in the Superebowl, sure - don't know off the top of my had who had him, but the Rams neutralized him.

During the year, he had a 64% catch rate and over 500 yards.

8/12 for 58 yards in the two other playoff games, with 5/7/45 against KC, including at least one clutch catch on a necessary drive.

I'd prefer Nelson, but I expect a lot of other teams would, too, so he'll be more expensive. It's all about the money with Hogan. I'd rather have him on the roster than not if they don't get Nelson or someone in a trade (Shepard?).

He struggled to get separation throughout the course of the year. Also, while he was consistently a part of the offense, he was not consistently productive. It was not just as the team's #1, or in the Super Bowl.

Chris Hogan 2018 Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Love how he lollygagged it the 1st 5 yrds then booked it to the endzone. Great deception.
And in the end almost dropped it, sigh...

He struggled to get separation throughout the course of the year. Also, while he was consistently a part of the offense, he was not consistently productive. It was not just as the team's #1, or in the Super Bowl.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that, but I also saw many plays where he was wide open, often on a third down, and Brady forced it somewhere else.

He won't be the number 1 or 2 on the team (Jules or Gordon, hopefully), and I wanted to see more Dorsett than Hogan much of last year and hope for that this year. But I want one more vet either proven in the system or of a style that seems consistent, at least in camp.

If they hit on a couple of picks (hoping for either Isabella or Samuel, personally, and one other), then let the chips fall where they may.

That's also why I doubt they bring Hogan back, as I don't think they'll want to guarantee much before opening day.

With four other teams reportedly interested in Nelson, I doubt they get him. Maybe they'll find a trade partner, as they did with Cooks, maybe not.

I love the guy. Good receiver, very good blocker. Excellent lax player. Will always be thankful for his production... he was BIG in SB51. And he had a couple of all-time leaps of joy at the end of 51 and in the 2018 AFCCG.

I hope he finds a way to be productive for us in 2019. And I hope the board doesn’t **** on him much more.

I think most posters are on at least something like the same page. Injuries were the problem? Bring him back, if you're not absolutely sold on the recent acquisitions. Injuries weren't the problem? Thanks but, given the rest of the WR list as currently constituted

Edelman
Dorsett
Harris
Ellington

there's not much value in bringing in a declining Hogan, unless you're really skeptical about those two recent signings. And I think that most of us are on the same page with regards to understanding that the team needs a WR1/WR2 a lot more than it needs the return of Hogan.

That's a very good point. The 1st four games when he was WR1 he had a total of 8 catches....not so good. The next 4 games he had 15 catches when Jules was back and Gosh was on the team. Games 4-8 were like a relief for him....a monkey off his back...and he was not going up against the other teams CB1 or 2. Gosh of course took targets away from Chris...but I think Chris also had the realization along with the team that he doesn't have the skills to be WR1. I think that messed with his head and Tom lost some confidence in him.

4106d9bad3cf5a6e5b92b4efefb0de68.png

I love the guy. Good receiver, very good blocker. Excellent lax player. Will always be thankful for his production... he was BIG in SB51. And he had a couple of all-time leaps of joy at the end of 51 and in the 2018 AFCCG.

I hope he finds a way to be productive for us in 2019. And I hope the board doesn’t **** on him much more.

Hogan is a fine WR4. 35 catches. 400-500 yds and a handful of TDs every year. Played a lot of STs last year as well.

I honestly think his time here is done....injury prone and totally ineffective and “gun shy” (ie dropped a ton of balls) last year. There are MUCH better options available out there than Hogan right now.....also would have preferred we trade Dorsett ....he has shown little in his time here and is frequently invisible! Oh well I’m hoping THIS will be the year he proves himself!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News