PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Have opinions of Phillip Dorsett changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
can't believe some are arguing about the drop...it was a perfect throw, obvious drop. Now the TD catch was very difficult and he made the catch....so what do we end up with? Inconsistent play I guess.

... They really should try Patterson and eventually Gordon on these deep balls, there is more room for error.
I want to see them do that, get each of them dialed in on that and then put the three of them on the field together to call "all go"...

Dorsett vs. Hogan for #3 WR, if Gordon & Julian lock down #1 and #2, could be an interesting competition. Both should do a lot better, escaping coverage by #1 and #2 corners.

I want to see them do that, get each of them dialed in on that and then put the three of them on the field together to call "all go"...

I really think if Patterson can learn the routes better and get more chemistry with Brady. He can be a really good receiver just don’t ask him to run backwards, I think he fell down again backpedaling. Edelman, Gronk, Gordon, Patterson, Hogan/Dorsett could be just as good as anything we’ve ever had. Now we have to do something about Allen.

I really think if Patterson can learn the routes better and get more chemistry with Brady. He can be a really good receiver just don’t ask him to run backwards, I think he fell down again backpedaling. Edelman, Gronk, Gordon, Patterson, Hogan/Dorsett could be just as good as anything we’ve ever had. Now we have to do something about Allen.
I dunna know man. With the ball in his hands hes awesome. Its the process of getting the ball is when he is about as graceful as a pregnant yak.

I dunna know man. With the ball in his hands hes awesome. Its the process of getting the ball is when he is about as graceful as a pregnant yak.
I don't care about grace as long as he delivers. Although I'd prefer he deliver TDs not baby bovids.

Or for a different Yak, I'd be happy to have a Yakovlev, just for myself not the team. :)

.it was a perfect throw, obvious drop

In your opinion.

Some of us have noted that Dorsett needed to make an adjustment, change his path, while the ball was in the air in order to get to it, and some of us have noted that, while Dorsett didn't catch the ball cleanly (and he should have), the DB reached a hand in and knocked the ball out while Dorsett was bobbling it.

It is just semantics now. Football is a fast moving game, so for a moving target thats about as perfect a pass as you can make. Hits him in stride with both hands on the ball. If he secured it and didn’t juggle it then he would have caught it. It was really the best deep ball Brady has thrown all year. Still didn’t matter in the end since we won comfortably. It speaks volumes though that Dorsett seems to have gained Brady’s trust. They really should try Patterson and eventually Gordon on these deep balls, there is more room for error.

It's NOT merely semantics. What made Brady's throw good was that he did NOT try to get it to Dorsett "in stride" between the defenders (unlike his intercepted throw on a nearly identical attempt in Detroit). He threw it outside the bracket to a spot where only Dorsett could get it.

Ergo, the pass did NOT hit Dorsett "in stride"; Dorsett had to adjust his stride and path to go get it. And he did. He was able to do that because he was accurately tracking the flight of the ball over his right shoulder.

But Dorsett bobbled it, which gave the DB an opportunity to break it up. And he did.

can't believe some are arguing about the drop...it was a perfect throw, obvious drop.

The defender had a lot to do with that drop. Personally I think that's not actually a drop. Dorsett had the ball in his hands and would not have dropped it if the DB hadn't made a play. That's not a "drop." It's a good play by the defender.

Sounds like you've been missing about 15 pages of the Josh Gordon thread. Although...

I think you may have a point there, although I kind of doubt I would expect to find a discussion about Hogan in a Josh Gordon thread, but.....

Edelman has dropped a fair number the last two seasons, many of them much easier catches.
True. Also Edelman has accomplished more in a single season than Dorsett has in his entire career so his drops can be forgiven much more.

One drop isn't the end of the world, in a blowout no less. Hopefully that was one of the few hiccups Dorsett has.

This isn't a "Dorsett Sucks" thread or some kind of movement to bury the player. So far hes done a nice job. People bringing up "Edelman drops passes too" is irrelevant.

The debate is should he have caught it or not. The ball hit him in the hands. At this level, he needs to make those plays.

I think you may have a point there, although I kind of doubt I would expect to find a discussion about Hogan in a Josh Gordon thread, but.....
Well duh.

New here?

The debate is should he have caught it or not. The ball hit him in the hands. At this level, he needs to make those plays.
It's silly that it's even a debate.

True. Also Edelman has accomplished more in a single season than Dorsett has in his entire career so his drops can be forgiven much more.

One drop isn't the end of the world, in a blowout no less. Hopefully that was one of the few hiccups Dorsett has.
The point is that every WR has drops and it's stupid to be going on and on about this one, particularly given the spectacular catch he made later in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes