PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Have opinions of Phillip Dorsett changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen so many catches where the DB has a hand in there and tries to rip it out but fails, I don't know if I buy the DB argument. Once a receiver has his hands on the ball, he should catch it, period. Squeeze that ball like it contains the nectar of life inside!
I agree that Dorsett should've caught it cleanly, if he squeezes it instead of juggling it the DB can't knock it out. But once Dorsett juggled it he gave the DB a chance to make the play. If the DB does not break it up Dorsett would put it away after juggling it.

Well since the DB hit it out of Dorsett's hands as he was juggling it, your assertion about the DB not being in position to make the play and thus not needing to be considered is obviously wrong. If you're not smart enough to figure that out there's no hope of having a useful discussion with you about it.

The bolded destroys whatever argument you're trying to make here. The only reason the DB was able to hit it out of his hands is because Dorsett wasn't able to track the ball properly and was, as you even admit, juggling it. Had it not been for those two important factors, no play would have been able to be made on the ball because the DB was beat. Hence, he was not a factor that should have been considered in my OP.

But yeah, I wouldn't be interested in pursuing the conversation any further if I was in your shoes either. That would be a quick piece of work for me.

The bolded destroys whatever argument you're trying to make here.

It really doesn't.

Dorsett had the ball in his hands. It was a catch. It wasn't a perfect catch, but another thing it wasn't is a drop.

The defensive back broke up the catch before Dorsett could get both feet down. The ball remained in Dorsett's hands until an action by the defensive player jarred it free. From a technical standpoint that's enough all by itself to make describing that play as a "drop" inaccurate.

Dorsett didn't make a pretty catch, but he would have done enough to make the ball his own if the defensive player hadn't made a pretty solid recovery.

The only reason the DB was able to hit it out of his hands is because Dorsett wasn't able to track the ball properly and was, as you even admit, juggling it.

Replace "properly" with "perfectly" and you get a lot closer to reality.

Had it not been for those two important factors, no play would have been able to be made on the ball because the DB was beat. Hence, he was not a factor that should have been considered in my OP.

I agree that the DB was beat. He did a great job of getting himself back into the play and taking advantage of a few minor imperfections in execution to prevent a big play.

But yeah, I wouldn't be interested in pursuing the conversation any further if I was in your shoes either. That would be a quick piece of work for me.

I can 't think of anything more pointlessly arrogant than claiming victory on an Internet discussion forum.

He slowed up because the throw

No, he didn't. The throw was fine. He slowed up because he had trouble tracking the ball in the air.

It really doesn't.

It really does. Dorsett bobbling the ball forced him to slow down and concentrate which was where the DB was able to make a play.

Replace "properly" with "perfectly" and you get a lot closer to reality.

Doesn't matter. You're even admitting here that he had trouble tracking the ball so you're destroying your own argument.

I agree that the DB was beat. He did a great job of getting himself back into the play

He got back into the play only because Dorsett couldn't track the football. Even so, the ball still hit him in the hands. If it hits you in the hands, you have to catch it.

and taking advantage of a few minor imperfections in execution to prevent a big play.

From Dorsett. The QB did his job.

I can 't think of anything more pointlessly arrogant than claiming victory on an Internet discussion forum.

Hate to burst your bubble, but I couldn't care less if some depressed, morbidly obese loser from the Pacific Northwest thinks I'm arrogant. The discussion forum's point is debate. There are two points to debate: 1) gaining a better understanding of where your opponent is coming from and seeking more information that might alter your opinion on the matter, 2) once you understand that the position your opponent is taking is ridiculous/illogical, winning by making use of logic, facts, and critical thinking. So, essentially you're equating the point of a discussion forum as a whole as being "pointlessly arrogant." Congratulations on another absolutely terrible take. But since you're deciding to reply to me again, how about confronting my last post to you (which you ignored)? I'll go ahead and copy and paste it so you don't have to overwork yourself...

screen-shot-2018-10-01-at-4-27-38-pm-png.21406

What does that look like to you? I see a ball, I see a receiver, I see a set of hands, and I see the football in that set of hands. The ball hit him in the hands. When this event takes place, one of two outcomes are possible:
  1. The receiver catches it.
  2. The receiver drops it.
In this case, he dropped it. That's on Dorsett.

I invite you to watch that play again. Maybe make a .GIF of it so you can watch it over and over. Dorsett jumping was not necessary. He could have easily taken another step if he was better able to track the ball. Still, though, it hit him in the hands. He should have caught it. No matter how dark or light that shade of grey that you're trying to use is, that's a salient fact.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say at this point. I'm beginning to think you're just one of those people who has to assign blame every time something goes imperfectly.

The nature of this kind of play is it's low percentage. NOBODY is perfect at that range, not quarterbacks and not receivers.

If Dorsett didn't time that throw perfectly, and Brady didn't make it as easy for him as he possibly could., personally I'll chalk that up to the two men only knowing each other for a matter of months, rather than an indictment of the skill of either player involved (both of whom could have executed that play better IMHO).

In my mind, even if it didn't work that one time that play was executed well enough to prove that it could be executed. Dorsett can get open on that kind of throw, and he can make that kind of catch, he just didn't quite do it that time.

I strongly suspect Bill and Josh are going to go back to that one.

I mean if you get your jollies at point fingers and assigning blame, I guess I should get out of the way. You do you.

The overall impression, and I know that you also agree with this, is that Dorsett did a satisfactory job on Sunday even with the non-catch factored in. Personally I'm inclined to write off the failed play as "things went slightly wrong and it didn't work out the way we wanted it to" without getting all psychotic about determining whose fault it is. But then, I'm not you. You do you, man. You do you.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say at this point. I'm beginning to think you're just one of those people who has to assign blame every time something goes imperfectly.

The nature of this kind of play is it's low percentage. NOBODY is perfect at that range, not quarterbacks and not receivers.

If Dorsett didn't time that throw perfectly, and Brady didn't make it as easy for him as he possibly could., personally I'll chalk that up to the two men only knowing each other for a matter of months, rather than an indictment of the skill of either player involved (both of whom could have executed that play better IMHO).

In my mind, even if it didn't work that one time that play was executed well enough to prove that it could be executed. Dorsett can get open on that kind of throw, and he can make that kind of catch, he just didn't quite do it that time.

I strongly suspect Bill and Josh are going to go back to that one.

I mean if you get your jollies at point fingers and assigning blame, I guess I should get out of the way. You do you.

The overall impression, and I know that you also agree with this, is that Dorsett did a satisfactory job on Sunday even with the non-catch factored in. Personally I'm inclined to write off the failed play as "things went slightly wrong and it didn't work out the way we wanted it to" without getting all psychotic about determining whose fault it is. But then, I'm not you. You do you, man. You do you.

Actually, I'm not. You're just incorrectly critical of the throw when the QB did his job. You're also the one that started the thread down this road in the first place. The ball hit the receiver in the hands. The receiver should have caught it. That's pretty much it. End of story. I can also assure you that this was said during the film review as well. And you're right that the play is low percentage, but the throw's degree of difficulty is exponentially more than the catch is. But I do agree that it's encouraging that he was at least able to get open deep. Hopefully he can start to haul those in, going forward.

Wondering how his injury is after tonight - he was finally starting to show some 3rd depth WR skills the past 2 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes