PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harrison: Kelce better TE than Gronk right now

Since he can’t block and his only use is as a WR, he should be compared to guys like Julio Jones or DeAndre Hopkins. That comparison won’t go well. Whar’s Kelce, the fifth best player in that offense? Mahomes, Hunt, Hill, and Watkins are all more concerning. Must be hard to get open in that offense.

Since he can’t block and his only use is as a WR, he should be compared to guys like Julio Jones or DeAndre Hopkins. That comparison won’t go well. Whar’s Kelce, the fifth best player in that offense? Mahomes, Hunt, Hill, and Watkins are all more concerning. Must be hard to get open in that offense.

I'm more concerned with Kelce than Watkins.

Rodney always knows how to ruffle the feathers of Pats fans. :rolleyes:

Definitely don’t agree with him here, but I always respect that he’s willing to be a contrarian.

I've seen Gronk play once in in person so far this year and I have to agree he did seem to be lumbering just a bit. Nothing major, but if he's running at 90% hes's still damn good and will demand double teams and be a reliable option in the redzone which is what matters for the offense. I dont know what the comparison to Kelce accomplishes. IMO It's a pointless discussion really.

Last edited:
Kelce is better.

He is faster and just as psychical as Gronk.
Kelce
Code:
       Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece  Rece
Year    Tgt  Rec  Yds  Y/R   TD  Lng  R/G  Y/G Ctch%
2018     46   28  407 14.5    3   40  5.6 81.4 60.9%

Gronk
Code:
2018     31   23  308 13.4    1   30  4.6 61.6 74.2%

Kelce is not stronger. If so, not by a big margin. He has 15 more targets. 15*.74*13.4(Y/R)=148.7 yards

Last edited:
Kelce
Code:
2018     46   28  407 14.5    3   40  5.6 81.4 60.9%

Gronk
Code:
2018     31   23  308 13.4    1   30  4.6 61.6 74.2%
Care    753  497 7487 15.1   77   76  4.6       70.0

Kelce is absolutely not better. He has 13 more targets. 13*.74*13.4(Y/R)=128.9 yards

Kelce is competing with Tyrek Hill and Kareem Hunt for the ball.

Kelce is competing with Tyrek Hill and Kareem Hunt for the ball.
So he was open very often. He competed for the ball and got the targets and could not catch a lot of them? You hearing yourslef?

Gronk's yards per reception are basically the same as they were in 2014 and a bit higher than his rookie year. If he's lost any speed it's not actually translating to a meaningful difference in yards per play.

His bigger problem is he was the only credible weapon on the team until they traded for Gordon, Edelman came back and Michael started playing like a quality NFL starter instead of a tentative rookie.

edit: Not sure why these jabronis are giving me dislikes for posting easily verified facts lol
I gave you a like because you said jabronis

Gronk is a little gimpy right now so it’s really for the best if we don’t force anything on him unless we need too. It’s better and healthier for everyone involved if we spread the ball around. Later in the season and come playoffs is when we should really see who is the best Te in history.

This right there. There is a reason why BB went out of the way to call him a receiver:

Been saying same things about Graham for a while now. As long as those players are not efficient when inline blocking they are big (slot) receivers and certainly don't have the same value as a player like Gronk.

Yup, I remember when BB was praising Kelce, he never mentioned blocking.

Does it even matter? I am all in with Gronk and think he's the greatest TE to ever play the game.

Fantasy wise Im glad I went Kelce over Gronk. Main reason was because I knew without Edelman he would be jammed up (and he was). As others said there is alot more to TE than receiving statistcs,

Gronk is almost a 10 year veteran with a lot of surgeries, what do they want?

Gronk is the GOAT TE and has 2 rings and put on a show on the last SB that unfortunately we lost because we fielded the worst defense that ever played in a SB.

I'll stick with the guy who comes up big in the biggest moments. Remember that AFCCG in Denver a few years ago, we lost for one damn extra point, all we had in that game was Brady and Gronk, that catch in the end on the 4th down was fantastic.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back