PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harrison: Kelce better TE than Gronk right now

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Rodney Harrison believes Travis Kelce is a better tight end right now than Rob Gronkowski

Basically, Rodney says Kelce is a better route runner, quicker, and younger. I’ve heard some in the media complain about Gronk losing quickness. Even that idiot Booger McFarland on MNF said Kelce was better. Interesting a couple of weeks ago Belichick did not deny Gronk losing a step. Tight end involves blocking and Kelce hates to block.

Can some of you who have been watching Gronk closely over the past few weeks comment?

Last edited:
Gronk hasn't seemed himself but I have mostly chalked it up to his ankle or receiving extra defensive attention while he had a weak supporting cast the first several weeks.

I'd also be interested to know.

Gronk's yards per reception are basically the same as they were in 2014 and a bit higher than his rookie year. If he's lost any speed it's not actually translating to a meaningful difference in yards per play.

His bigger problem is he was the only credible weapon on the team until they traded for Gordon, Edelman came back and Michael started playing like a quality NFL starter instead of a tentative rookie.

edit: Not sure why these jabronis are giving me dislikes for posting easily verified facts lol

Last edited:
Kelce is having the better season and has traditionally stayed healthier, but he isn’t the better TE.

It's sort of like comparing Gronk and Hernandez back in the day. Although TEs they aren't playing the same position or being asked to do even a third of the same tasks.

Also, the Queefs have gotten relatively lucky that Gronk either hasn’t been fully healthy (this season) or hasn’t been fully back from injury (2014, 2017). When he was (2015 divisional round), he hit them up for 2 TDs.

But Second best to Gronk ain't bad Kelce is as consistent as they come and will be more than a load Sunday night for that Patriots D.

Eh, let’s see come November. Gronk is rounding to form, he’s the best offensive weapon in the NFL when he’s rolling.

Rodney is flat-out wrong. Period.

If people want to say Kelce is a better "receiving" TE, whatever.

If I'm in the Super Bowl and I needed a TE who can pass/run block, catch, run, etc only a complete idiot would take Kelce over Gronk.

Rodney is flat-out wrong. Period.

If people want to say Kelce is a better "receiving" TE, whatever.

If I'm in the Super Bowl and I needed a TE who can pass/run block, catch, run, etc only a complete idiot would take Kelce over Gronk.

This right there. There is a reason why BB went out of the way to call him a receiver:

Been saying same things about Graham for a while now. As long as those players are not efficient when inline blocking they are big (slot) receivers and certainly don't have the same value as a player like Gronk.

Doesn't bother me. Stats are for losers. If we win - and Gronk helps - it's all good.

ATM. KC's W-L is amazing, so that is great for them. I'd love that record.

both wear #87 :rolleyes: kelce is the more kocky one

My point was more about Rodney's statement that Kelce was younger. It's easy to think he is because he came into the NFL at a later age, and NFL mileage-wise he's fresher, but they're the same age.

Last edited:
He sure is better at taking stupid penalties at the wrong time.
Thats the thing. Kelce has a emotional stability issue. Not sure I trust him in a big game. Very good player though.

Gronk was out of line with the People's Elbow last year but I can't recall him ever doing something like that before. I consider that an isolated incident.

Kelce = Tommy in Rocky V

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back