PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk is psyched to play alongside Bennett...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Rob Gronkowski ‘Super Excited’ To Play Alongside ‘Scary’ Martellus Bennett

Gronkowski told NFL Media’s Adam Rank. “Having another Pro Bowl tight end on my side, it couldn’t any be better. He’s a great dude. We’ve been working together the last few weeks, and he’s a great player. The way he runs is kind of scary. He’s super fast, and he’s a solid tight end."

Some early video of them at practice:

thor-vs-hulk.gif

giphy.gif

;)

Between them and the quickness of Lewis, Edelman, and Amendola, good luck stopping the Pats in the red zone.

If all healthy good luck stopping them anywhere on the field (+Hogan, Washington/Mitchell ...)

Great to hear chemistry boiling early between two big men (after some talked about possible conflict ...)

I honestly don't know how opposing defenses can stop this two TE offense. I think it will be more difficult to stop than Gronk and the murderer were because of Bennett's size, athleticism, and blocking ability. And if teams try to focus on the TEs it will be wide open for the rest of their offense. I'm hoping they can find a way to extend him but it won't be easy.

Between them and the quickness of Lewis, Edelman, and Amendola, good luck stopping the Pats in the red zone.

Also Hogan.

I'm excited to see what Hogan can do. He is versatile and a good blocker and his scrappiness should create plays out of the tight triples we like to run, as far as the rub/picks routes that Edelman/Amendola thrive on. I don't think he gets pushed around in heavy traffic like Lafell was, because he's too hard-nosed a player.

Looks like he'll be our X now that Amendola is staying.

I recall how some posters were upset that we didn't sign Sanu, but Hogan, in fact, had a more productive season last year than Sanu did.

On field ONLY please not saying anything about off field issues. Is Bennett better than AH?

Also Hogan.

I'm excited to see what Hogan can do. He is versatile and a good blocker and his scrappiness should create plays out of the tight triples we like to run, as far as the rub/picks routes that Edelman/Amendola thrive on. I don't think he gets pushed around in heavy traffic like Lafell was, because he's too hard-nosed a player.

Looks like he'll be our X now that Amendola is staying.

I recall how some posters were upset that we didn't sign Sanu, but Hogan, in fact, had a more productive season last year than Sanu did.

Never understood the love for Sanu

I honestly don't know how opposing defenses can stop this two TE offense.

Clog the middle of the field and let the CB's man-up on the WRs. Simple. We've seen it before.

I think it will be more difficult to stop than Gronk and the murderer were because of Bennett's size, athleticism, and blocking ability.

Considering in 2011, Gronk and AH combined for 170 catches, 2400yds and 24 TDs, if we are measuring difficulty by production, I'm not sure how you get more difficult to handle than that.

And if teams try to focus on the TEs it will be wide open for the rest of their offense. I'm hoping they can find a way to extend him but it won't be easy.

See 1st answer. Thats up to the line doing its job, Brady making the reads and the WRs beating their defender 1:1.

Clearly I am playing the role of douchbag Felger here. Make no mistake, Gronk and Bennett is a sheer matchup nightmare for defenses but I don't have a feel yet for how much they will use him in the passing game. Pats have a ton of options ahead of him....Gronk #1, JE #2, Lewis #3, Hogan #4, DA/Bennett #5a/5b. Unless there is a major injury to the top 5 :eek: I don't see him grabbing more than 40 balls next year. I hope Bennett won't ***** about his playing time b/c hes most likely going to see only 50% of the snaps.

Make no mistake, Gronk and Bennett is a sheer matchup nightmare for defenses but I don't have a feel yet for how much they will use him in the passing game. Pats have a ton of options ahead of him....Gronk #1, JE #2, Lewis #3, Hogan #4, DA/Bennett #5a/5b. Unless there is a major injury to the top 5 :eek: I don't see him grabbing more than 40 balls next year. I hope Bennett won't ***** about his playing time b/c hes most likely going to see only 50% of the snaps.

I think it's going to be a mistake if we evaluate any receivers but Gronk/Edelman/Lewis based on numbers this season. For example, imagine this attack in the red zone:

Edelman
Gronk
Bennett
Lewis
Hogan/Harbor/Washington/Surprisingly good other

As long as those receivers adequately play their roles and draw their coverages, is it going to matter how many catches/TDs Bennett, Lewis, Hogan/Harbor/Washington/Surprisingly good other end up with?

Clearly I am playing the role of douchbag Felger here. Make no mistake, Gronk and Bennett is a sheer matchup nightmare for defenses but I don't have a feel yet for how much they will use him in the passing game. Pats have a ton of options ahead of him....Gronk #1, JE #2, Lewis #3, Hogan #4, DA/Bennett #5a/5b. Unless there is a major injury to the top 5 :eek: I don't see him grabbing more than 40 balls next year. I hope Bennett won't ***** about his playing time b/c hes most likely going to see only 50% of the snaps.

you'll see plenty of Hogan, don't worry

Quick exercise, just for a discussion topic:

Take every Patriots receiver currently on the roster and add Anquan Boldin to the mix.
Completely ignore finances.
Include TEs and 3RDBs on the list of 'receivers'.

Now, rank them in order, first in terms of overall ability, and then in terms of how you'd view their ability to fit into, and impact, the offense.

Clog the middle of the field and let the CB's man-up on the WRs. Simple. We've seen it before.

Considering in 2011, Gronk and AH combined for 170 catches, 2400yds and 24 TDs, if we are measuring difficulty by production, I'm not sure how you get more difficult to handle than that.

See 1st answer. Thats up to the line doing its job, Brady making the reads and the WRs beating their defender 1:1.

The reason I think it's more difficult is because they won't need an extra tackle for a Jumbo package, they will be able to run right over defense's, and there will be no drop off in receiving options. And if teams want to try and clog the middle either TE can go in motion or go outside and create mismatches. As far as production goes I disagree completely, I think Bennett will get a ton of touches and expect him to be over 70 receptions, if Edelman isn't ready out of the gate I won't be surpluses if Bennett end up second in receptions. If he is ready I still expect Bennett to be top three in receptions, yards, and TDs.

That's just my take, I wanted Bennett well before free agency began and was really happy they dealt for him. Imo people will be clamoring for them to extend him before we reach the halfway point of the season. I could be wrong about him but I think this will be the best offense in football this year and will lead the league in points, and that's without a number one RB.

I think it's going to be a mistake if we evaluate any receivers but Gronk/Edelman/Lewis based on numbers this season. For example, imagine this attack in the red zone:

Edelman
Gronk
Bennett
Lewis
Hogan/Harbor/Washington/Surprisingly good other

As long as those receivers adequately play their roles and draw their coverages, is it going to matter how many catches/TDs Bennett, Lewis, Hogan/Harbor/Washington/Surprisingly good other end up with?

I agree that is the right way to look at it. Production as the unit/package and not the individual it what matters most. If Bennett is out there for 100 drives and they score a TD or FG in 70% of them and hes doing his job by blocking and not dropping balls, great.

We will, I just don't know how much.

We will but with Bennett on the team I don't think hes a 99.9% snap player. More like 80% as they will go 1WR 2TE 1RB 1FB I think a good amount

We will but with Bennett on the team I don't think hes a 99.9% snap player. More like 80% as they will go 1WR 2TE 1RB 1FB I think a good amount

I don't know what the percentages are going to be, but I'm with you in spirit. Looking at the receiving crew they're choosing from

Edelman
Amendola
Hogan
Washington
Martin
Dobson and others

Gronk
Bennett
Harbor
Williams and others

Lewis
Bolden
White
Brown and others

I'm thinking we could see substitutions/personnel packages among that group at a level never seen before in the BB era.

Seriously rob a FB over a another WR?? I beg to differ the FB position seemed to have been phased out by the Patriots Offense in favor of the Double TE formation.

As a data point: over the last couple of seasons, the Pats have averaged about 65 offensive snaps a game. That means that for the five skill positions (TE/WR/RB), you have a grand total of 325 snaps to spread around.

I'll be surprised if Develin makes the team. I felt like they went to a FB because they couldn't find a good TE to pair with Gronk, with Bennett there I think there will be a battle with Develin and Harbor for one of the final roster spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back