PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harrison: Kelce better TE than Gronk right now

Remember when Harrison was all over Brady in 2014 after the loss to the Chiefs, joining in with the loud chorus of shameful idiots? How’d that one turn out Rodney? Some guys never learn.

I think it's fair to say Gronk has faced two issues that have prevented him from being as effective this year as he was last year. First, he's still dealing with lingering injuries. Second, he was double-teamed heavily in the first three games.

It's worth noting that Kelce was also dealing with lingering injuries (a sprained ankle) in the first two games of the season. Kelce played almost every snap in the first two games but only ran 11 and 13 routes in those games. In the first game he did nothing, catching 1 pass on 6 targets for 6 yards; in the second he caught 7 passes on 10 targets for 109 yards and 2 TDs.

Gronk has run between 22 and 34 routes in each of his games this year, with the 22 being the Dolphins game where he missed a large chunk of the second half. The Patriots have actually averaged marginally more pass plays per game than the Chiefs have, and Gronk has run a route on more of those than Kelce (though Kelce's are dragged down by the first two games). Last year, both players ran a route on 90% of their team's pass plays. This year, it's 77% for Gronk and 68% for Kelce.

All this is to say is that, while Kelce has clearly recovered from his injury, Gronk is still probably feeling the effects and was limited in the early going by the ineffectiveness of the Patriots' offense. Gronk is likely to see a resurgence while Kelce will probably not maintain this torrid pace, especially given that he plays for Andy Reid and the Chiefs, a group notorious for fading fast. We'll see. Can't take anything away from Kelce. He's still not as good as Gronk though.

Remember when Harrison was all over Brady in 2014 after the loss to the Chiefs, joining in with the loud chorus of shameful idiots? How’d that one turn out Rodney? Some guys never learn.

After KC started 0-1 in 2014, Harrison said the Chiefs we're "done." He was ultimately right because KC went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. That was the year Smith had 0 TD to wide receivers

Kelce is a very good TE. Better than Gronk? Eh. However, anyone notice he talks like he’s from the ‘hood? His brother doesn’t talk like that.

I’d rather have Gronk take it easy and sacrifice stats until exploding in the big game like he did in the Super Bowl last year. The Pats season doesn’t even start until the post season.

Gronk hasn't seemed himself but I have mostly chalked it up to his ankle or receiving extra defensive attention while he had a weak supporting cast the first several weeks.

I'd also be interested to know.
This:
With the lack of receivers thus far, Gronk was getting multiple coverages.

He had very little "Decoys" to draw coverage.

He will be kicking in gear just when we need him most.

This team is coming together nicely, as expected.
And we will find out, how much on Sunday.

Kelce is a sprinter and Gronk a plodder.

Kelce = Sea Biscuit

Gronk = Clydesdale

Kelce is a very good TE. Better than Gronk? Eh. However, anyone notice he talks like he’s from the ‘hood? His brother doesn’t talk like that.

I’d rather have Gronk take it easy and sacrifice stats until exploding in the big game like he did in the Super Bowl last year. The Pats season doesn’t even start until the post season.

He totally does. Reminds me of the kid in Whiteboyz

Kelce is a sprinter and Gronk a plodder.

Kelce = Sea Biscuit

Gronk = Clydesdale
LOL. Are you shooting for the record for dislikes?

Put down the pipe and stop trying to look at sports ya nimrod!

Is kelce better than brink so far this season? Yes. So what? No player is the best at his position every single year even if they are the GOAT.

Overall I'd still take Gronk for the remaining 11 games and into the playoffs no question.

Is kelce better than brink so far this season? Yes. So what? No player is the best at his position every single year even if they are the GOAT.

Overall I'd still take Gronk for the remaining 11 games and into the playoffs no question.

Not only that, but this year isn't even over. Lot of football left to play before we even declare that Kelce has had a better 2018 season than Gronk. All we know for now, is that he's had a better statistical first five games.

Look man, they’re both great players. Gronk is more complete as a blocker, but injury prone. Kelce is a bit more athletic & less injury prone. Gronk is a once in a generation player. Glad we have Gronk, but I wouldn’t mind having Kelce either. Stop being homers and be pragmatic.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back