PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk trade completed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure Edelman wants to join the party in Tampa...

I am sure he does and because I think we haven’t a chance of achieving much this season, I wouldn’t be that upset if we let him for the right price (which has to be more than Gronk cost I would think).

This just proves that Gronk waited to announce his retirement until all the best TEs were signed in free agency just to screw the Pats.

...neither was Coach Landry, Chuck Noll, Shula in the 60s and 70s, Bill Walsh, Jimmy Johnson.

There is a trend here.

The other side of that trend though is the Glyn Johns/Glenn Fry/Don Henley example.

If TB12 brings a big part of the "Patriot Way" with him to TB...you don't need the all bidnass, hardass coach to achieve things. Your player is the expectation setter.

A dead asset in what way? Clearly he was coveted in Tampa and Brady wanted him there.

Having only one team to deal with is all the leverage. You don't need to trade Gronk, at all. If Tampa wants Gronk, they should pay for Gronk. Not sure how you could say the team didn't have leverage.

This is my opinion on the trade as well. A third rounder should have been possible.

Looking back I suppose it makes sense that Gronk didn't want to play here last season. Collectively the Patriots had the worst group of receivers in the NFL and Gronk would have had to have done some heavy lifting.

Now Tampa Bay is completely stacked on the offensive end and he isn't going to be asked to do a whole lot.

Does anyone know if it is pick 117 or 139?

Duly noted, but he's under contract and we own his rights.

Yes, he was a dead asset.

What's our incentive to give him away? That's the leverage portion. Does a 4th round pick entice you to just give away one of the greatest TE to play the game? Doesn't for me.

They got a 4th for a 7th and a dead asset. It would have been stupid to turn that down.

You can hold onto Gronk and tell his childish ass to go pound sand unless we get what we ask for. That's literally leverage.

You don't understand leverage, then. It was a one team field.

This is my opinion on the trade as well. A third rounder should have been possible.

Gronk was historically great in his prime, but he's like 31 and at the end of a long string of injuries, and he looked cooked his last full season outside a handful of plays.

Pats fans spinning this whole situation in a positive light are ****ing delusional. This is a nightmare. Let's see how cheery everyone is when Brady throws for 50tds and the Pats go 8-8.
I am rooting for Brady to do well so that does not bother me in the least if he has a record season.

I have already accepted that the Pats are in rebuild mode. 8-8 would be fine as long as we see progression from the young guys, especially the QB if it is Stidham.

This just proves that Gronk waited to announce his retirement until all the best TEs were signed in free agency just to screw the Pats.
That would really make me dislike him

Pats fans spinning this whole situation in a positive light are ****ing delusional. This is a nightmare. Let's see how cheery everyone is when Brady throws for 50tds and the Pats go 8-8.

What does that have to do with the Patriots? Brady's gone. Gronk wasn't coming back in blue and silver. The team's roster isn't great and they're in cap jail through next year. They need to reload and more picks gives them more opportunity to do so. Think most people are pretty sober about the Patriots chances this year. What were they going to do, hold Gronk hostage out of spite? I don't even think they could do that, he had leverage over them because he could unretire and tank the cap balancing they're doing.

we need a way to have some physicality on offense, Something that Gronk and Moss brought to the table. Last year the receivers could not get open and had no separation whatsoever. It was almost painful to watch.
Moss . . . physicality?

Gronk was historically great in his prime, but he's like 31 and at the end of a long string of injuries, and he looked cooked his last full season outside a handful of plays.
He has had a year off and no BB and legit weapons all around him. He could have one of his best seasons and stay healthy if used properly.

This bad blood seemed to happen right in the wake of the Super Bowl loss against the Eagles. Not saying that’s what caused it one way or another. Just that it’s a very big coincidence.

They only got a 4th round pick for him. Sounds like a deal for Tampa

Further reinforcement of that fact that BB is an obnoxious DBag who players cannot stand to play for any longer. 6-10 this season. This mofo is due his comeuppance!

He made tough catches in the 4th quarter of the AFC championship and superbowl. Yes, his overall game in the receiving department in 2018 was not what it once was, but he was still clutch. Oh, and he was a better blocker even in 2018 than all of out TEs in 2019 combined.

He was an excellent blocker and sure, there was That catch, but he wasn’t going to play for us so a 4th rounder is a steal as far as I’m concerned.

Only sucker and desperate BB would have given up a #2 pick for Sanu.

I had nothing against Sanu, but definitely thought the asking price was steep. of course there were several posters that jumped down anyone's throat that suggested we may have overpaid, and we clearly did.

The other side of that trend though is the Glyn Johns/Glenn Fry/Don Henley example.

If TB12 brings a big part of the "Patriot Way" with him to TB...you don't need the all bidnass, hardass coach to achieve things. Your player is the expectation setter.
Still need a coach who can gameplan and lead men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST