PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk Says He and Cooks "Got in Trouble" For TD Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the faithful among us refuse to accept that the game was sloppy.
It did have sloppy moments littered throughout but that doesn't mean we aren't happy with the win, especially since it was a fairly comfortable one despite the miscues.

Dont quite see what's worth getting annoyed about that viewpoint.

In the list of things to worry about with the Patriots, I'm gonna say that Gronk getting injured while giving Brandin Cooks a piggy back is waaaay down there.

I've heard Bill say multiple times over the years that he has no problem with players celebrating and having fun when they score as long as it doesn't draw a penalty. What I'm betting he had an issue with was fully grown man jumping on the back of the Patriot's second most important player, one who is injury prone and who has already had several serious back issues. Cooks just got here so maybe he doesn't know the specifics of Gronk's injury history. But he has to be smarter than that.

Correction. Us pointing it out is embarrassing and we are not allowed to have even the slightest negative opinion, even if accurate because we have a lead and even if we do not, in Bill we trust.

I remember how Bill in the A Football Life documentary during film study specifically pointed out his disappointment that no one was celebrating a good play so we know he likes that kind of stuff.
When asked about the celebrations, he recently spoke on how they prefer to remain focused and aren’t concerned with providing “halftime entertainment” for the fans and opposing teams, so I think he prefers a more subtle and reserved celebration when it comes to scoring.

As you mentioned, he doesn’t care for lack of energy when our players make a big play or try to intimidate the players, so I think he appreciates the team camaraderie and cohesion, but views it a bit differently than acting goofy after scoring plays. The man runs a tight ship.

It is all much ado about nothing, otoh how about the sloppy play of the Pats... could have played much better.

As long as they keep the respect and some control it's ok, opposite to whats happening in Philly, those guys are completely out of control with all those pictures, dances, celebrations etc....I was watching the Philly game and they did a group dance for an interception, that was reviewed and reversed, with players coming from the bench to the field for the dance, I mean, the player didn't have the good sense to tell the guys "hey chill this might not stand".

That's why I'm not afraid of them in a possible SB, too juvenile. We will see more about their head coach if he doesn't cut this crap in the following weeks.

I remember reading a Iggle fan once talking about the Patriots x Iggle SB. He was at the airport or worked there, something like that, and saw both teams landing and leaving the airplane. His words, he knew the Pats would win at that point. While McNabb and the Iggle players were looking like they were in Disneyland for the first time, with a lot of pictures and other stuff, he said TB12 left the airplane with only a briefcase, his conclusion was, the Eagles were there for entertainment, the Patriots for a business trip.

When asked about the celebrations, he recently spoke on how they prefer to remain focused and aren’t concerned with providing “halftime entertainment” for the fans and opposing teams, so I think he prefers a more subtle and reserved celebration when it comes to scoring.

As you mentioned, he doesn’t care for lack of energy when our players make a big play or try to intimidate the players, so I think he appreciates the team camaraderie and cohesion, but views it a bit differently than acting goofy after scoring plays. The man runs a tight ship.
Agreed. I think BB thinks celebrating with your teammates is one thing, while stupid antics after a score are something entirely different. Did Cooks and Gronk cause a delay of game penalty? There was one after that score, but I couldn't tell who caused it. That would definitely get them in trouble.

It was very very sloppy. Some of it was kind of inevitable, we've got a backup center in there and that will introduce some trouble with a few plays in any given game, but the Patriots do NOT turn over the ball as many times as we just did. Bill's going to come down hard on some people. I think Ted Karras in particular is in for a bit of a tough week of practice.

It did have sloppy moments littered throughout but that doesn't mean we aren't happy with the win, especially since it was a fairly comfortable one despite the miscues.

Dont quite see what's worth getting annoyed about that viewpoint.
Win was almost guaranteed against that weak roster, but losing the turnover game like we did in this match is going to get us blown up against a competitive team. We came into a game we were supposed to win and played with overconfidence and made a lot of mistakes. I can see why a fan would be fine with this because it was a W at the end of the day, but Bill can't afford to let a lax attitude take hold. He's going to be taking the coaching point and making sure that that kind of sloppiness doesn't spread into games where it might matter.

Agreed. I think BB thinks celebrating with your teammates is one thing, while stupid antics after a score are something entirely different. Did Cooks and Gronk cause a delay of game penalty? There was one after that score, but I couldn't tell who caused it. That would definitely get them in trouble.

I don't see Gronk getting yelled at for doing something, and then talking about that at the press conference. As much as he acts goofy, he shows he can exhibit restraint when the issue is serious (i.e., Aaron Hernandez).

I doubt Belichick cares about the celebrations, but if they result in a delay of game penalty I would agree that would displease him.

That it was. From what I've been hearing Bill is none too pleased for some reason. Perhaps because the game had spots of sloppiness that pissed him off or something else.

I would guess it has to do with potentially injuring yourself on something stupid like that.

Because some of us realize it was a dominant win not an ugly, sloppy one.

Correction. Us pointing it out is embarrassing and we are not allowed to have even the slightest negative opinion, even if accurate because we have a lead and even if we do not, in Bill we trust.

Do you even know what a sloppy game is? A few things being sloppy in the passing game doesn't equate to it being a sloppy game overall. Because saying the game was sloppy you are in a sense ****ting on the defense that gave up only 10 points, forced 3 TOs (5 if they called Flowers strip correct and if Butler would have seen the ball came out when he knocked the ball out of Landry's hands), had 7 sacks and only allowed 220 yards. The running game was also not sloppy running for 200 yards.

Because some of us realize it was a dominant win not an ugly, sloppy one.

Defense- Not sloppy (1o PA, 3 TOs (Should have been 4) 7 sacks, 220 yards allowed)
Running Game- Not Sloppy (200 yards on 33 carries)
Passing Offense- A couple of sloppy plays (Bad snap, INT, OL had some sloppy moments in Pass Pro)
ST- Other than Amendola's muff which had more to do with the fact that the guy hit him in the facemask while he was catching it there was nothing sloppy.

But I guess supposedly it was a sloppy game all around

It wasn’t sloppy all the way around. There’s always issues. I mean, we could say it’s been a sloppy year filled with bad wins and horrid losses.

I’m reminded of a bleak comment I read here in like October or so. Someone got traded or something and one poster wrote that bill didn’t think this was a Super Bowl roster and was just throwing the towel. I was depressed too. Now it seems silly

Gronk didn't say that. He said in general they are not supposed to talk about touchdown celebrations but he didn't say it directly about this game. Now, he could've meant it but that's not what he said. Let's just be careful with how we write things because taking words and twisting them into something that may not be accurate is unfair.
no that is precisely what he said. He said they got "yelled at" and that "even though he wants to talk about the celebration with the press" he can't.

There was no delay of game for it. The only delay of game I remember was on that weird punt attempt where the clock reset. It wasn't even that long. It just felt longer because the broadcast slowed it down to replay it. It was no longer than when all the players sprint to the endzone to jump into each others arms and pat each other on the helmet after a TD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes