PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gordon Hayward signing 4 yr max contract with Celtics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully disagree, super stars aren't getting paid relative to their impact. Guys like LeBron, KD and Steph don't make nearly enough due to the max contract limit. Hard cap and no max contracts would produce a drastically different league. While you are right a few great players is huge, they wouldn't be able to easily fit two superstars like KD and Steph on one team and still have a deep team.

Considering Otto Porter Jr. is about to be a max player, I agree, superstars aren't paid enough relative to their impact. It's one thing for Durant to take $9M less a year, but would he be willing to take $19M or $29M less if there was an open system?

I don't think the salary cap with max deals was intended to be used the way it has, but economics can be a tricky thing to fully predict. Like in the NFL when the rookie salary cap took effect, the idea was to reduce top rookie contracts while giving more money to veterans.

And it kind of worked at first, but it really increased the value of a draft pick significantly. Now you see fewer veterans getting mid-size contracts. It's either super stars or rookies, and veterans in the middle getting squeezed out more and more.

I do not understand the NBA and all its drama even though I have been a fan since the 50's.. never seen it this bad, twitter was on "fire" yesterday with Hayward signed, then he didn't and then he did..

What I understand less is the NBA salary cap.. somehow Golden State pays their players 125 million and is 26 million over the salary cap, now the Celtics have exceeded the threshold and have to get rid of players???..

I used to really enjoy the NBA, but less so now..

NBA 2017 Cap Tracker
You can go over the cap to sign your own players at the cost of the luxury tax.

I don't think the salary cap with max deals was intended to be used the way it has, but economics can be a tricky thing to fully predict. Like in the NFL when the rookie salary cap took effect, the idea was to reduce top rookie contracts while giving more money to veterans.

And it kind of worked at first, but it really increased the value of a draft pick significantly. Now you see fewer veterans getting mid-size contracts. It's either super stars or rookies, and veterans in the middle getting squeezed out more and more.
Largely due to the fact that the mandatory minimum team salary spend mechanism is poorly constructed (at least from the veteran players point of view, not the owners).

Hayward is a great addition for the Celtics. They got the best free agent who actually left his original team. Durant and Griffin stayed.

Too bad he "can't stand Tom Brady" LOL. But I forgive him since he plays a different sport. It doesn't really matter.

If I were 27 and had spent my first 20 years in Indiana, I'd feel the same way. Since the time Hayward was around 11 years old, Brady and the Pats have pretty much ruined many Colts' seasons.

IT4, Horford, Hayward, Tatum and Brown is a lot of firepower compared to last year,

then you add Bradley, Rozier, Smart to the mix.

I don't see Crowder here next year cap casualty.

One player and more likely two players among Bradley, Smart, Rozier, and Crowder have to be traded right away to even afford giving Hayward a max offer. This is after renouncing Zeller, Olynyk, Jerebco, and any other nonguaranteed contracts. If they take any salary back in trades, two of those guys will have to see the door.

It makes sense, though, to plunder the bottom 5 to raise the level of the top 8 or 9. Other than injuries, going more than 9 deep is overkill.

************ people...its bad enough we have one post about the Celtics in the football forum, now we have two. Why can't we just follow the rules and post **** in the correct forum. I dont give a crap if there is zero football to talk about, but post in the right forum.

also, while i am at it, here is a question. where is the appropriate forum to discuss Beast mode Lynch playing soccer? Its kinda football related since he is an american football player (and soccer is actually called football), but in America it is called soccer. So where should that discussion take place, in the football forum, or the other sports forum.

lastly, welcome to Boston Jimmy Chitwood

I mean...it's the pre-camp, post-draft offseason. I don't get the anger.

Being completely ignorant of NBA cap rules and reading about Boston's struggles to fit Hayward under the cap , I am having difficulty understanding how:
1) Boston could have afforded both Hayward and George
2) Find space to trade for Gasol and his $20 mill contract
3) Resign the midget to a max contract next year

I'm sorry, you think that the guy who is currently the best player in the world will be "lucky" to have two more good years?

He certainly didn't look like the best player in the world in the finals.

He's an amazing athletic specimen, but not a great shooter. Players like that don't usually age well.

He certainly didn't look like the best player in the world in the finals.

He's an amazing athletic specimen, but not a great shooter. Players like that don't usually age well.
You're right, he was only the first guy ever to average a triple-double in the Finals. :rolleyes:

Two years ago, he led all Finals players in points, rebounds, and assists. Last year, he did the same thing and threw in steals and blocks. He's also a career 50% shooter, a great defender, and one of the greatest passing forwards ever.

At this point, I'm literally wondering if you've ever actually watched him play. At any rate, arguing that he's just an "amazing athletic specimen" is the NBA version of "Brady's a system QB."

Last edited:
You're right, he was only the first guy ever to average a triple-double in the Finals. :rolleyes:

Two years ago, he led all Finals players in points, rebounds, and assists. Last year, he did the same thing and threw in steals and blocks. He's also a career 50% shooter, a great defender, and one of the greatest passing forwards ever.

At this point, I'm literally wondering if you've ever actually watched him play. At any rate, arguing that he's just an "amazing athletic specimen" is the NBA version of "Brady's a system QB."

He's more like Manning. Impressive numbers but turtles in big moments.

Hayward is a great addition for the Celtics. They got the best free agent who actually left his original team. Durant and Griffin stayed.

Too bad he "can't stand Tom Brady" LOL. But I forgive him since he plays a different sport. It doesn't really matter.
hes from indiana. i forgive him lol. he said he hates brady because he plays for the pats. he will warm up to the pats. he will have no choice. he will get caught up in it.

He's more like Manning. Impressive numbers but turtles in big moments.
Definitely.
hashdeck-com.gif

Being completely ignorant of NBA cap rules and reading about Boston's struggles to fit Hayward under the cap , I am having difficulty understanding how:
1) Boston could have afforded both Hayward and George
2) Find space to trade for Gasol and his $20 mill contract
3) Resign the midget to a max contract next year
It's a soft cap. You can go over to re-sign your own players. Would have had to gut the roster for George.

Definitely.
hashdeck-com.gif

I still don't like him but that play,game and series won me over on LeBron.

I wouldn't put him in the Bird, Jordan company of clutchness but hes clutch enough to be in the discussion and good enough to be in the top 10 GoAT conversation.

If I were 27 and had spent my first 20 years in Indiana, I'd feel the same way. Since the time Hayward was around 11 years old, Brady and the Pats have pretty much ruined many Colts' seasons.

peyton ruined it for colts fans himself with constant choking.

Awesome, puts us in position to make one more power move within the next couple of years for the final piece. In the meantime it gives us an outside shot at the finals.

I do not understand the NBA and all its drama even though I have been a fan since the 50's.. never seen it this bad, twitter was on "fire" yesterday with Hayward signed, then he didn't and then he did..

What I understand less is the NBA salary cap.. somehow Golden State pays their players 125 million and is 26 million over the salary cap, now the Celtics have exceeded the threshold and have to get rid of players???..

I used to really enjoy the NBA, but less so now..

NBA 2017 Cap Tracker

The NBA cap is not like the NFL cap. It's a soft cap. you have the salary cap and you have the luxury tax limit. For every dollar they go over the luxury tax they have to pay a luxury tax of a dollar. If you want a simple guide to how it works this is an excellent one: Get to know the NBA Salary Cap In Simple Terms

The Warriors owner is a billionaire. The Celtics are owned by a group of four people that had to pool their money to buy the team for a few hundred million back in the early 2000s. So I'm guessing they have a lot less money than a lot of other NBA owners. And it's not just one guy signing the checks. So getting all four guys to sign off on paying the luxury tax is probably not going to happen easily.

As far as shedding players, it makes sense if they were planning on getting rid of them anyway. When Danny drafted Smart he probably imagined that he would develop at least a respectable jump shot. that hasn't happened. I can't imagine them extending him when he becomes a free agent after next year unless we see a James White (from 2015-2016) level improvement in his game. I think it would be a huge mistake to cut/trade Avery Bradley basketball wise. But I can understand his name being included in trade talks even if I don't agree with it. They might not feel like they can afford him. Again, by NBA owner standards, these guys are not rich. The name that has been thrown out there that makes no sense to me is Jae Crowder. You can never have too many wings in today's NBA. And he has three years left on an insanely cheap deal. Which makes him by far the most valuable as a trade asset. No way they should be thinking about giving him away in a salary dump.

How true. Recently, I've been thinking about the David Price situation and I have thought for long time that he's far too thin-skinned to make it in this market. But, the high irony, to me, is the local media deriding him for being thin-skinned, when many of them are at least as hyper-sensitive to criticism as he is. Hell, I've pissed Lou Merloni off enough just by texting to the point where he called me some very, very bad names and cast aspersions on my late mother...

I liked Merloni at first. But he's devolving into an angry, bitter old man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes