PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GM LOUNGE

appreciate the discussion @One-If-By-Sea, @patsfanfromoversea
and Draft discussion combined with FA is not only ok but part of original idea - so by all means
(just didn't see sense dropping qb fantasies/trade up scenarios here ad nauseam since there are several threads specifically for that)

re edge/DL

When thinking of signing another big name DE/edge it makes sense to count the snaps you already signed.

Judon - 3 down edge player - run + rush/push + set edge + contain + coverage = 2y/32M = 80%
Wise - edge rotation + situational inside rush/DL = 2y/12M = 50%
Wino - edge rotation + situational pass rusher = 60% (2020)
this is rotation considering last yrs # + projected Judon role and contract #
add
Uche - situational pass rusher + coverage from edge
Anderson - big DL sets edge

DT rotation

Godchaux - NT/DT = 2y/15M = 60%
Anderson - DT/DE = 2y/7M = 40-50%
DT depth - C.Davis, Cowart, Adams (Spence) = ?

Looking at this id be looking to add DT/DE much more than another DE.. and that includes Guy

Draft is another matter although id be surprised if they go edge/DE high (unless its LB like Collins)
Thanks..i just want to add that i would like to see uche on early downs at LB..i can't imagine anyone we currently have as better..he brings athletic quickness and change of direction speed we badly need there..also those 250+ pounds ILB can't tackle better..they can take on O-Linemen better but with a overall stouter front seven it's ok with HT KVN and Judon i think..
Agree with you on the last part..the most edge/DE guys are high risk/reward..I'd be ok with one of them in a trade down between 22-32 tbh since they could provide a nice piece on the other side of Judon
DT seems to be a little bit higher on my list (but not through draft more FA) if we want a 3 T. I don't think Davis or Cowart will be the guys for different reasons. There could be a Casey/Guy signing imo to put our DT group to an significant upgrade over last year. (They have risk as well I admit). I think if we view Anderson as DT/DE who sets edge than a DT is more needed, but if we play him more/mostly as 3 T than Edge could be a bigger need.

Thanks..i just want to add that i would like to see uche on early downs at LB..i can't imagine anyone we currently have as better..he brings athletic quickness and change of direction speed we badly need there..also those 250+ pounds ILB can't tackle better..they can take on O-Linemen better but with a overall stouter front seven it's ok with HT KVN and Judon i think..
Agree with you on the last part..the most edge/DE guys are high risk/reward..I'd be ok with one of them in a trade down between 22-32 tbh since they could provide a nice piece on the other side of Judon
DT seems to be a little bit higher on my list (but not through draft more FA) if we want a 3 T. I don't think Davis or Cowart will be the guys for different reasons. There could be a Casey/Guy signing imo to put our DT group to an significant upgrade over last year. (They have risk as well I admit). I think if we view Anderson as DT/DE who sets edge than a DT is more needed, but if we play him more/mostly as 3 T than Edge could be a bigger need.

Uche should slide in JC role . boogymen back

pretty athletic 2-5 base .

Judon - Anderson - Godchaux - Wise/Wino
KVN - HT - Uche
JC - Dugger - D-Mac - Gilmore

This line-up gives you good complementary size/speed pairings on both sides (Judon-KVN : Wise-Uche)

If you want a big DE type for early downs, what about Ndamukong Suh?

Anderson - Godchaux - Suh (Judon could play McGinest's old elephant position)
KVN - HT - Uche (Wino loses early down snaps)

** Or draft Christian Barmore.

Uche should slide in JC role . boogymen back

pretty athletic 2-5 base .

Judon - Anderson - Godchaux - Wise/Wino
KVN - HT - Uche
JC - Dugger - D-Mac - Gilmore

This line-up gives you good complementary size/speed pairings on both sides (Judon-KVN : Wise-Uche)
But we play a front 7 and 4 dbs about 40 snaps a season.
Remove uche and add Phillips/Jones

But we play a front 7 and 4 dbs about 40 snaps a season.
Remove uche and add Phillips/Jones

Was that because the front 7 was so poorly understaffed last year?

We’ve played that way for 6-7 years. We’ve been base nickel.

They never had this much speed and coverage ability in front 7 in those years.

This OLB group offers so much versatility & ability that 7 bases could be more in play..

They never had this much speed and coverage ability in front 7 in those years.

This OLB group offers so much versatility & ability that 7 bases could be more in play..
Who in the front 7 can cover like a db?
I love the front but coverage isn’t a strength.

If you want a big DE type for early downs, what about Ndamukong Suh?

Anderson - Godchaux - Suh (Judon could play McGinest's old elephant position)
KVN - HT - Uche (Wino loses early down snaps)

** Or draft Christian Barmore.
Suh would be awesome. But he will resign with buccs i think, to have another shot at a SB.
Barmore wouldn't play on early down much i guess. More a third down DT right now Although his run defense got better

Against pass first teams like KC and Buffalo, I may start Uche instead of Wise.
More of a 2-4-5 look. Provided Uche is developing as we hope
I don’t envision Wise as a starter. Aside from the 2 DTs I expect HT, KVN,Judon to play the majority of the snaps. The 6th guy will come from
Winovich
Uche
Wise
Jennings
Bentley

I see wise playing maybe 20% of the snaps on early downs.

Here a quick look of how DL depth went from 2016 (approximately):

NT Branch > Shelton > B.Allen > Godchaux
DT M.Brown > Brown > Guy > C.Davis ?
DT/DE ...-x- > Guy > A.Butler > Anderson
NT/DT2 rot. Valentine (RJF) > x > C.Davis ?
DT depth Hamilton/Kilgo (PS) > Cowart/Adams/(Spence)

From 2016 when NE had arguably best DL play in last 5 years the unit was becoming lighter and weaker/depleted.
While we had some higher hopes in rebuilding/upgrading the former strength it still looks to go in the right direction.
If Carl Davis could finally have a healthy season even the unit as it is could be sneaky strong as in 2016.
He reminds me quite a bit of Valentine potential in 2016/17(size+skill set / inj. concerns)..

2016 was also the last year NE took DT in first 2 days of the Draft (Valentine) - so it is very likely another solid DT addition comes through Draft
- although i wouldn't be surprised if they add one more vet min piece (esp. since both Godchaux and Davis are coming back from injuries).

Last edited:
I don’t envision Wise as a starter. Aside from the 2 DTs I expect HT, KVN,Judon to play the majority of the snaps. The 6th guy will come from
Winovich
Uche
Wise
Jennings
Bentley

I see wise playing maybe 20% of the snaps on early downs.
Some teams will force you to stop it. Cleveland, Tennessee and Indy are on the schedule. I’m guessing Urban will try to establish run. Miami if they draft a rb like Najee. Wise will come in handy in those games.

I’d like to get an interior pass rusher too. Hope Cowart replaces Butler in his role. Will need more though

Some teams will force you to stop it. Cleveland, Tennessee and Indy are on the schedule. I’m guessing Urban will try to establish run. Miami if they draft a rb like Najee. Wise will come in handy in those games.

I’d like to get an interior pass rusher too. Hope Cowart replaces Butler in his role. Will need more though
Sure we will go big against some teams. We could even move Anderson out to DE at times.
I think Wise is the interior pass rusher

Major needs after first week of free agency:

1.) qb - newton is beyond horrible.
2.) #1 wr - man, would waddle make our receivers deadly!
3.) og - after onwenu and mason, we only have karras.
4.) fs - if mccourty gets covid or injured, we do not have a back up for him.

I would add #2 WR, 0/1-tech DT, DE & Coverage LB.

The base D is 2 DT and 4 players from the LB/DE group of which many can be called either.
So traditionally you have a 425
2 300lb+ DTs say Judon and winovich as DEs and HT and KVN as LBs...

FYI you left Cowart out.

And for good reason.

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back