PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore on Bills fans' hate: 'Guess you hate winners'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pop quiz: who said the following about his former team, and which team was he on when he said them? Bonus points if you can tell me how the new team finished that season.

“Worst quarterback in the NFL. I’d be open and he’d throw into double coverage.”

“A bunch of *****es on the roster, that’s why we didn’t win games, and coaches liked the *****es."
The Bears play in a different conference. No scheduled games. So there really isn't an issue there. By contrast, the Patriots play the Bills twice.

Comparing Bennett's wit and lambent humor to Gilmore's stuff really misses the point. It's immediately obvious how smart Bennett is, and how funny. Bennett had the gift that so many of the Patriots have, to be able to see a situation differently, as if from a different angle, than expected. His puns and allusions ("natural prey of the Patriots is the redcoat") are in a different league from Gilmore's. He reminded me of Edelman in that way.

I'm sure Hogan had plenty of complaints about the Bills, but he never said anything remotely disparaging about them, no matter how much he was baited to do so in interviews. You think Hogan should have started railing against his old team and fans as soon as he was signed?

I'm sure Gilmore knows this, he just doesn't care.

(If Gilmore doesn't know by this point that repeatedly belittling his former team and its fans isn't helpful to the Patriots, then we have much bigger problems with him: personality can be changed a bit, but cognition cannot be.). Belichick has no real recourse against Gilmore: it's one of the classic problems with giving free agents huge, guaranteed, long-term contracts, and why, in the past Belichick only awarded such contracts to people who were already in the Patriots system.

Even on this thread (and related threads), there have been several posters cheering Gilmore on, as if trash talking his former team is something commendable. That's another dynamic that makes such behavior very tough to root out once it takes hold in a team: many fans like it when players act like this. So it helps the player's branding, his name recognition, even his fan base.

We just had one of the most extraordinary sports season in history, all without any boasting and preening, all with careful, modest contracts; often crushing teams whose players are far more boastful: and as soon as we get a player who jettisons the entire way the Patriots' act, half the fanbase here acts like it's some great improvement. It's a mystery to me.

You are easily the stupidest poster that has ever posted on this forum. That is quite an accomplishment considering the idiots we have here.

The Bears play in a different conference. No scheduled games. So there really isn't an issue there. By contrast, the Patriots play the Bills twice.

Comparing Bennett's wit and lambent humor to Gilmore's stuff really misses the point. It's immediately obvious how smart Bennett is, and how funny. Bennett had the gift that so many of the Patriots have, to be able to see a situation differently, as if from a different angle, than expected. His puns and allusions ("natural prey of the Patriots is the redcoat") are in a different league from Gilmore's. He reminded me of Edelman in that way.

I'm sure Hogan had plenty of complaints about the Bills, but he never said anything remotely disparaging about them, no matter how much he was baited to do so in interviews. You think Hogan should have started railing against his old team and fans as soon as he was signed?

mental_gymnastics.jpg

"Even on this thread (and related threads), there have been several posters cheering Gilmore on, as if trash talking his former team is something commendable. Which it totally is if it's any Patriot but Gilmore!"

Imagine how salty this Buffalo Bills fan will be when Gilmore has a great season for NE. I imagine he'll be even saltier than PatriotsPimp was when NE completed the comeback vs the Falcons.

The Billdo fans are bitter. Taking it up the backside for 20 years must be painful :D

Pop quiz: who said the following about his former team, and which team was he on when he said them? Bonus points if you can tell me how the new team finished that season.

“Worst quarterback in the NFL. I’d be open and he’d throw into double coverage.”

“A bunch of *****es on the roster, that’s why we didn’t win games, and coaches liked the *****es."

Our one year TE in 2016 about his previous team, the Chicago Bears?

I just hope Gilmore gets back to form. We can't deny the guy struggled a bit last year. We saw it first hand. :cool:

I'm sure Gilmore knows this, he just doesn't care.

(If Gilmore doesn't know by this point that repeatedly belittling his former team and its fans isn't helpful to the Patriots, then we have much bigger problems with him: personality can be changed a bit, but cognition cannot be.). Belichick has no real recourse against Gilmore: it's one of the classic problems with giving free agents huge, guaranteed, long-term contracts, and why, in the past Belichick only awarded such contracts to people who were already in the Patriots system.

Even on this thread (and related threads), there have been several posters cheering Gilmore on, as if trash talking his former team is something commendable. That's another dynamic that makes such behavior very tough to root out once it takes hold in a team: many fans like it when players act like this. So it helps the player's branding, his name recognition, even his fan base.

We just had one of the most extraordinary sports season in history, all without any boasting and preening, all with careful, modest contracts; often crushing teams whose players are far more boastful: and as soon as we get a player who jettisons the entire way the Patriots' act, half the fanbase here acts like it's some great improvement. It's a mystery to me.
I can respect the fact that you were surprised at the signing of Gilmore. I know that I was. That said, he's got a lot of talent and you've got to trust Belichick's ability to assess that talent, as well as the players helping him adapt to the Patriot Way.

As long as his play holds up and he doesn't say anything too inflammatory, I really couldn't care less what he's talking about. We've had some **** talking extroverts on the team before.

Gilmore states that he is helping to make Tom Brady better:
at 2:09 ("we're helping to make each other better").

Everyone should do what I did and listen to the whole interview instead of just taking K. Dog's word for it. Spoiler: that's not what Gilmore said, and he was referring to the whole team making everyone else better. I'm shocked that K. Dog wildly misrepresented Gilmore's words. SHOCKED.

Everyone should do what I did and listen to the whole interview instead of just taking K. Dog's word for it. Spoiler: that's not what Gilmore said, and he was referring to the whole team making everyone else better. I'm shocked that K. Dog wildly misrepresented Gilmore's words. SHOCKED.
You're right. I misinterpreted Gilmore's words (specifically the pronoun "we" and transcribed a quote out of context.) Thanks for the correction, and I have deleted my original comment.

I can respect the fact that you were surprised at the signing of Gilmore. I know that I was. That said, he's got a lot of talent and you've got to trust Belichick's ability to assess that talent, as well as the players helping him adapt to the Patriot Way.

As long as his play holds up and he doesn't say anything too inflammatory, I really couldn't care less what he's talking about. We've had some **** talking extroverts on the team before.
NO!!
Belichick only created the patriot way, only communicates it to the team successfully, only lives it every day. It is up to posters like KDog to explain to him what it really means and callbhim our for not believing in it.

I just hope Gilmore gets back to form. We can't deny the guy struggled a bit last year. We saw it first hand. :cool:

And now he goes from a coaching staff that would be average if they played in the SEC to the best staff on planet earth.

I was at camp Sunday and Gilmore is BIG. Real BIG. And athletic to boot. From everything I see he's a quiet, somewhat reserved guy. This nonsense is blown way out of proportion. And the fight was Jules today was due to his coverage skills and physical play. If he didn't fight back after being tackled I'd be worried. I expect big things from him.

NO!!
Belichick only created the patriot way, only communicates it to the team successfully, only lives it every day.
Just out of curiosity, do you know what the largest guaranteed contract Belichick ever offered a non-Patriot free agent, prior to Gilmore's (which was $40M guaranteed)?

I think perhaps Revis was about $12M, and Moss was about $7M. However, truthfully I can never entirely understand the nuances of these contract amounts, with all their salary cap shuffling, so I doubt my numbers are accurate. I'm not trying to pick an argument, I really would like to know.

Just out of curiosity, do you know what the largest guaranteed contract Belichick ever offered a non-Patriot free agent, prior to Gilmore's (which was $40M guaranteed)?

I think perhaps Revis was about $12M, and Moss was about $7M. However, truthfully I can never entirely understand the nuances of these contract amounts, with all their salary cap shuffling, so I doubt my numbers are accurate. I'm not trying to pick an argument, I really would like to know.
Adalius Thomas got 5 years/$35M/$20M guaranteed in 2007.

With that logic I take it you'd prefer to spend time with Ted Bundy as opposed to say....Paris Hilton?

Don't care. It's irrelevant.

Colvin, welker, Thomas were big FA signings. Not sure what point you are trying to make.
Your previous post was ignorant and pointless.

You are easily the stupidest poster that has ever posted on this forum. That is quite an accomplishment considering the idiots we have here.

That /can't/ be true!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back