PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts: The bye week edition

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
I like the way they have managed Mac Jones, their expectations of him being a game manager in this team sport will pay off as time progresses, not sure if he will be an elite QB or a very good QB yet, time will tell...

This week there has been a lot said about how his teammates respect him as a player and how he has grown into that role.. It did not seem probable that would fall to #15, I thought they surely would have to trade up to get him. The last two drafts have reaped huge benefits for this team, not sure if any will be "all pro" which seems to be the litmus test of how good any teams draft was by the sports mediots..

Funny how the conversation changes both locally and nationally when the Pats win, perhaps winning does change everything.. the consistent philosophy of coaching is a given...

And odds, given all the recent COVID cases, of the temperature being cranked up to 90+ degrees, especially in the locker room...about 100%.
Since TB12 spent 20 years in Boston,I'm sure he knows about the legendary Red Aeurbach.
And I don't think Tom would have a problem sharing one of Red's favorite moves with the maintenance guys at Raymond James

Sorry to hear about your computer dying. Congratulations on joining the ranks of real computer users. I forget the magic equivalent of the right click, want to say it’s a two finger tap But it’s been so long since I did anything on the MacBook because the iPad is just so portable and convenient. Except today my iPad rejected the power cord, might have been something stuck in the lightening socket but it was already due for replacement so a new one is en route. Meanwhile I may be using the clunky MacBook Pro again so I’ll try to get you a real answer about the right click equivalent.

glad to see you’re posting as cogently as ever despite the new hardware platform. Very much appreciated, as always.

best of luck with the new ‘puter.

"Real" computer users run Linux. ;)

For the rest of us, Mac makes some good machines. I've even recommended some to friends. But Windows is always superior for gaming, which is the best reason to use a computer, anyway. Gotta represent the PCMR community.

Okay, carry on with the football talk. Good thread, Ken!

Since TB12 spent 20 years in Boston,I'm sure he knows about the legendary Red Aeurbach.
And I don't think Tom would have a problem sharing one of Red's favorite moves with the maintenance guys at Raymond James
So I had been thinking about the Colts loss (that I was at - only away game I've ever seen the Pats) where the team was just getting over the flu and they had ratcheted up the heat and the Pats looked like they were running through mud all game, but you're right the original "heat em up" move was in the old Garden. Good catch.

So I had been thinking about the Colts loss (that I was at - only away game I've ever seen the Pats) where the team was just getting over the flu and they had ratcheted up the heat and the Pats looked like they were running through mud all game, but you're right the original "heat em up" move was in the old Garden. Good catch.
That game was one of the worst ever. Reffing, flu, inability to keep it together in the 2nd half. They needed McGinnest that day but unfortunately they let him walk for what as a fan, I considered peanuts.

Funny you went to that game, I attended quite a few Celtics games in the 80s at the Garden. Seen A lot of great games including McHales 56 point game and quite a few others where they blew teams out or wins that came down to the wire. One of the games that really sticks out to me that I remember clearly is the Portland loss. They played so flat that night and up until that point we felt our team was invincible at home. They lost and but would never lose again at home that season. 40-1 and they Rolled through the playoffs beating the twin towers in 6. Kept that ticket stub for a lot of years until finally losing it during a move.

Great post glad I poked my head in. Tonight’s game will be a slugfest!!!

@patfanken I hear you about the "flags that aren't part of the play" to keep the game moving. I'm sick of it on both sides - the twitch by the offensive player that had no effect on anything except the defense now knows to come charging across the line to draw a penalty has become such a stupid interruption.

But there's another side to that - DB's aren't called for holds when the play eventually goes in the other direction. But if the WR's route was compromised, then the QB had fewer options in the progression, which means the hold was very relevant. To fulfill your principle and only call it if it is relevant, the refs will need to know if the QB's progression was, or even would have been, compromised because a WR didn't quite get the separation they would have otherwise.That's asking the impossible of them.

I think this happens A LOT as an informal way of policing the game. This is no different than the umpires in MLB deciding to have a personal interpretation of the strike zone. "Nipples to the knees" disappeared years ago as the batters got better. Its BS because it is individualized and opaque.

Is this the first game against a team that's got more turnover takeaways than the Pats? I'm surprised that's not being talked about more, given the consequence of turnovers to outcomes.

Is this the first game against a team that's got more turnover takeaways than the Pats? I'm surprised that's not being talked about more, given the consequence of turnovers to outcomes.

When Wentz doesn’t commit a turnover, they win; when he does, they lose… Job #1 for the defense is to prevent Wentz from relying on Taylor to bail him out of making decisions… Slow down their running attack and keep the QB in the pocket…

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back