PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spineless Buff Bills HC Reamed Out By Reiss (of all people)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if ANYONE was going to take McDermott to task for his irresponsible call for Jonathan Jones to be suspended for what was SHOWN conclusively to be a hit that was completely legal

The day after he said "We're on the next opponent".

So it says a lot when one of the most diplomatic football scribes in America, uncharacteristically, rips you a new one:

Patriots' most valuable rookie has been ... punter Jake Bailey?

".......4. McDermott's initial response warranted a follow-up: One can understand Bills coach Sean McDermott's strong initial reaction to the hit by Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones last Sunday that knocked out Buffalo quarterback Josh Allen; he said immediately after the game that there was no place in football for a play like that. McDermott, or any coach for that matter, can seldom go wrong by showing support for their players in the aftermath of a hard-fought game. But I was disappointed at McDermott's lack of a follow-up the next day after he had a chance to rewatch the play -- which clearly wasn't malicious -- as he deflected a question on the topic by saying he was moving forward. On Saturday, it was learned that the NFL didn't fine Jones on the play. If McDermott still truly believes there's no place in football for plays like that after watching the film, the Bills -- who seem to have a good thing going with McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane -- are in more trouble than I thought......"

Last edited:
I was wondering if ANYONE was going to take McDermott to task for his irresponsible call for Jonathan Jones to be suspended for what was SHOWN conclusively to be a hit that was completely legal

The day after he said "We're on the next opponent".

So it says a lot when one of the most diplomatic football scribe in America, uncharacteristically, rips you a new one:

Patriots' most valuable rookie has been ... punter Jake Bailey?

".......4. McDermott's initial response warranted a follow-up: One can understand Bills coach Sean McDermott's strong initial reaction to the hit by Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones last Sunday that knocked out Buffalo quarterback Josh Allen; he said immediately after the game that there was no place in football for a play like that. McDermott, or any coach for that matter, can seldom go wrong by showing support for their players in the aftermath of a hard-fought game. But I was disappointed at McDermott's lack of a follow-up the next day after he had a chance to rewatch the play -- which clearly wasn't malicious -- as he deflected a question on the topic by saying he was moving forward. On Saturday, it was learned that the NFL didn't fine Jones on the play. If McDermott still truly believes there's no place in football for plays like that after watching the film, the Bills -- who seem to have a good thing going with McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane -- are in more trouble than I thought......"

I was shocked as hell when I read that.

Mild- mannered reporter by day....

Bizarro-Skip Bayless by night

League is a total joke. Allen got off way too easy for that bush league play.

Good on Reiss. It was Allen that should have been fined and McDermott was a jackass not walking his comments back. That said, he is doing a decent job with that team

Good on Reiss. It was Allen that should have been fined and McDermott was a jackass not walking his comments back. That said, he is doing a decent job with that team

He probably thinks since he is in Buffalo, no one will notice his hypocracy. If a tree falls in the forest with no one around........

BTW - - once again, because it deserves repeating>

Reiss' notes are the best read every Sunday morning. His points about Bailey, Watson, McLaurin, the new Cornerbacks coach and Cardona are great insights that you don't usually see anywhere else.

It's what would it look like if Patfanken had media access.

He wasn't fined because the league knew it wasn't even a penalty. Should've never been flagged. What a joke. Glad he avoided punishment for nothing.

I know (and understand) the hate for ESPN, but I have always found Reiss to be professional, hard-working, and legit in all facets. I appreciate his work and I don’t fault him for providing for himself & his family.

And let's give credit to the often maligned (and justifiably so) NFL for making the right call with so many star QBs going down.

McDermotts behavior IMO was off before the game even started. The way he went after Belichick’s son and staffer before the game, his wild-over the top whining throughout the game, to his press conference afterwards.

It all came across as someone who wanted it soooo bad, but at the end of the day, just wasn’t ready for the big bad wolf.

Mcdouche is no better than all the butt hurt fans who were calling for punishment. Delusional AF

Was surprised that Reiss wrote that, and was very happy about it.

And it doesn’t bode well for McDermott‘s temperament either. That kind of over the top homerism plays for a while with the team and the fandom, but it can also lead to a guy who is not stable emotionally and burns out sooner rather than later.

I know (and understand) the hate for ESPN, but I have always found Reiss to be professional, hard-working, and legit in all facets. I appreciate his work and I don’t fault him for providing for himself & his family.

You don’t fault him because he does not make up things just to stir the pot and get clicks. Which makes him an aberration not only at execrable ESPN, but for what passes for journalism today.

I am just shocked that ESPN continues to employ him, especially as the network continues to swirl down the toilet.

Huge Reiss stan, and totally on board with the take... But not sure if a blurb halfway down a two thousand word collected "thoughts and notes" piece rises to the level of a proper reaming.

Perhaps we should consult the authority on these matters. Reamer?

So ....Reiss believes the 3-1 Bills’ coach and GM are “in more trouble than I thought” simply because the Buffalo coach didn’t play nice and offer soothing follow up words to comfort a triggered, butt hurt Boston media member.

Reiss needs to step off his booster box and dial down this ridiculous narrative.
If Manish Mehta of the NY Daily news wrote some blather like this about Mr. On To Cincinnati , this board would carve him up.

Reiss deserves credit when credit is do... but this is not one of those times

McDermotts behavior IMO was off before the game even started. The way he went after Belichick’s son and staffer before the game, his wild-over the top whining throughout the game, to his press conference afterwards.

It all came across as someone who wanted it soooo bad, but at the end of the day, just wasn’t ready for the big bad wolf.
Hope we blow them out the next time

Mcdouche is no better than all the butt hurt fans who were calling for punishment. Delusional AF

There’s a difference between delusional fans and an NFL Head Coach. If you’re setting McDermotts bar as low as fans then......

So ....Reiss believes the 3-1 Bills’ coach and GM are “in more trouble than I thought” simply because the Buffalo coach didn’t play nice and offer soothing follow up words to comfort a triggered, butt hurt Boston media member.

Reiss needs to step off his booster box and dial down this ridiculous narrative.
If Manish Mehta of the NY Daily news wrote some blather like this about Mr. On To Cincinnati , this board would carve him up.

I think what he was trying to say was that if McDermott is coaching his guys that tough, hard nosed play doesn’t belong in the NFL, they are going to be in trouble.

Read who the subject of that sentence was. The Bills. Not McDermott. It showed a lack of perspective and judgement. Not admitting an obvious error shows a definite lack of maturity. McDermott isn’t in trouble but that type of character trait can backfire on an organization down the line.

The replays were obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey