PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent Signings around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Adam Schefter:

By Friday, Jacksonville will sign Cleveland's transition-tagged C Alex Mack to a 5-year offer sheet the Browns will have five days to match.

Alex Mack's 5-year deal with Jacksonville will be designed to make it as difficult as possible for the Browns to match, per sources.

Sources close to Alex Mack say he wants to play this contract in Jacksonville, not Cleveland, which opted not to give him long-term deal.

To recap: Alex Mack highly impressed with Jacksonville, wants to play there, will sign 5-year offer sheet by end of week, per ESPN sources.​

"Alex Mack highly impressed with Jacksonville"

CH42bFf.gif

Yeah I'm just as confused as you buddy

"Highly impressed with Jacksonville"

Talk about difficult choices.

Would you rather play for the Browns or the Jaguars?

:eek::ugh::confused3::censored::help2:

I guess I'd take the better weather and no state income tax of Jacksonville over Cleveland.

Talk about difficult choices.

Would you rather play for the Browns or the Jaguars?

:eek::ugh::confused3::censored::help2:

I guess I'd take the better weather and no state income tax of Jacksonville over Cleveland.

Yeah. Jacksonville and Cleveland are both high on the list of worst cities in America. But, theoretically, you could find somewhere nice to live outside of Jacksonville, but you'd have to go to another state entirely to find that near Cleveland.

Carolina re-sgigns DT Colin Cole. Was on the field for 309 defensive snaps in 2013 after being out of the NFL for two years; he turns 33 this summer. He made $840k last year and will probably get about a million this season.

Panthers re-sign DT Cole

Defensive tackle Colin Cole, a key contributor to the Panthers' dominant defensive line last season, has returned to the team.

The 6-2, 335-pound Cole has re-signed with the team as an unrestricted free agent, agreeing to a one-year contract. Last season in his first action since suffering a serious ankle injury with the Seattle Seahawks in 2010, Cole played in 15 games with 13 starts and posted 19 tackles, one sack and three quarterback pressures for one of the NFL's best defenses.

Cole was an important cog in a defensive tackle rotation that also included veteran Dwan Edwards and rookies Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short, a group that helped Carolina rank second in total defense and points allowed and lead the league in sacks while finishing second in rushing defense and sixth in passing defense.​

Yeah. Jacksonville and Cleveland are both high on the list of worst cities in America. But, theoretically, you could find somewhere nice to live outside of Jacksonville, but you'd have to go to another state entirely to find that near Cleveland.

rather live in FLA then Ohio...have to go far away from that state for it to get better

I have a friend who lives in Jacksonville and it really isn't bad down there. You can live in a mansion for the price of a decent house up here in Mass.

I have a friend who lives in Jacksonville and it really isn't bad down there. You can live in a mansion for the price of a decent house up here in Mass.

I suppose one could make that argument about most of the other states outside of Massachusetts and Connecticut ;)

But, theoretically, you could find somewhere nice to live outside of Jacksonville, but you'd have to go to another state entirely to find that near Cleveland.

rather live in FLA then Ohio...have to go far away from that state for it to get better

Actually, anything in the Columbus area is pretty nice, although I wouldn't expect too many people to know that. The Columbus area itself is generally pretty well to do (for the "average" area), and quite nice to live in/near.

Having grown up in different parts of Ohio, it's hard to disagree with your thoughts.

I certainly wouldn't say that it's any worse than a lot of other states, but areas such as Youngstown, Toledo, and Cleveland aren't doing too hot these days.

I suppose one could make that argument about most of the other states outside of Massachusetts and Connecticut ;)

But you can get a mansion in Mass for what it costs to get a a decent size house in Southern California. So that is something. :D

Apparently Chris Johnson is refusing to work out for teams:

It’s possible, but it’s not happening. Per a league source, Johnson will not be engaging in private tryouts for anyone. The thinking is that he has generated six years of game film, and he’s a proven commodity. Either a team wants him, or a team doesn’t. There’s no need for Johnson to go run and cut and jump and do whatever a team may want to see him do before offering him a contract.

Chris Johnson won't be trying out for any teams | ProFootballTalk

Based on the last few years of game film on Johnson, I would be advising teams not watch the game film and show in personal workouts that he still has something left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently Chris Johnson is refusing to work out for teams:

Chris Johnson won't be trying out for any teams | ProFootballTalk

Based on the last few years of game film on Johnson, I would be advising teams not watch the game film and show in personal workouts that he still has something left.

Something seems "off" with this guy too.

Tons of talent, obviously quick footed, etc. Attitude problems, question of work ethic.

Hey, whatever. I didn't think he'd be coming here, that's for sure. We may be seeing him 2x a year in the NYJ colors though. He'd likely be a fine fit there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex Mack signed an offer sheet with the Jaguars.

Alex Mack will sign offer sheet with Jacksonville Jaguars - ESPN

He's expensive but where defenses are sending pressure from has definitely changed in the last 3 or so years. Having a great Center is an important part of the equation. If I had to say who was the best OL on Seattle last year I would be torn between Okung and Unger.

Surprised he would even consider going to a team in that division with how physical it is.

Good point but he''ll cry mercy, wave a white flag and get into the fetal position before any defender comes within 10 feet of him.

Good point but he''ll cry mercy, wave a white flag and get into the fetal position before any defender comes within 10 feet of him.

Say what you want about Lloyd (and yeah, watching him trip over shadows can be aggravating!), but he won't be walking around in deep depression in his 40's and he's put up a lot of yards in his career.

Maybe he gets the last laugh here.

Former Ravens TE Ed ****son signs with Carolina

Ed ****son joins Panthers on one-year contract - baltimoresun.com

Former Ravens tight end Ed ****son has signing a one-year contract with the Carolina Panthers after passing a physical during his free-agent visit.

The contract is worth $795,000, according to a source, including a $730,000 base salary and a $65,000 signing bonus.

"Ed is a young player who has shown he is a capable blocker as well as receiver in the league," Panthers coach Ron Rivera said in a statement. "He proves experienced depth at the tight end position and we look forward to having him in the mix."

****son will work in tandem with Panthers tight end Greg Olsen.

****son has excellent size and speed, but he got off to a rough start to last season after tearing his hamstring during training camp.

He leaves the Ravens after they re-signed tight end Dennis Pitta to a five-year, $32 million deal and tight end Owen Daniels to a one-year, $1 million contract.

****son, 26, started 14 of 16 games last season and caught 25 passes for 273 yards and one touchdown.

****son has recorded 111 career receptions for 1,178 yards and seven touchdowns in four NFL seasons after being drafted in the third round out of Oregon in 2010.​

Bills sign punter Jake Dombrowski | ProFootballTalk

The Buffalo Bills have signed a new punter to compete with incumbent Brian Moorman.

The Bills announced Wednesday the team has signed former Harvard University punter Jake Dombrowski.

Dombrowski appeared in 31 game for Harvard from 2009-2012 with 146 punts for 5,839 yards. He was named first-team All-Ivy League as a senior in 2012.

The Bills released Moorman three games into the 2012 season and replaced by Shawn Powell. The Bills elected to reverse course last season and re-signed Moorman in October and releasing Powell.

However, Buffalo is still looking into younger, and therefore cheaper, options at punter.​

Redskins add S Akeem Davis

The Redskins have signed former Memphis safety Akeem Davis, a person with knowledge of the situation said.

The 6-foot, 201-pound Davis signed with the Seattle Seahawks as an undrafted free agent last spring, but didn’t make their roster in the fall.

Davis appeared in 34 games for Memphis, starting 27 of them, recording 162 tackles, three interceptions, nine pass breakups, five forced fumbles, seven fumble recoveries and 2.5 sacks.

Washington signed Davis over former Ravens safety Christian Thompson, a second-year pro, who worked out for the Redskins on Wednesday.

The Redskins now have quite the collection of safeties, although most of them remain unproven. Strong safety Brandon Meriweather and free safety Ryan Clark appear set as the starters. The roster also includes 2013 draft picks Phillip Thomas, who missed all of his rookie season with a Lisfranc injury, and Bacarri Rambo, who played only sparingly as a rookie, and second-year pro Jose Gumbs and third-year player Trenton Robinson (both primarily special teams players).​

My guess is that lots and lots of players would choose to live in JAX over CLE. There are lots of nice areas outside the city.

And as far as the worst cities in America, many would NOT list Jacksonville. Some MIGHT list BALT or WASH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back