PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure FA: Add A Veteran QB back up? Pats to cut Hoyer...

Was just about to post this. Yeah, I think Hoyer's time is over. I think he will make a fine QB coach, not sure if he wants to take the pay cut. I wonder what the NFL would say if the Pats tried to hire him as a coach while still paying him his guaranteed salary?

Not a bad career for an UDFA.
You could see the writing on the wall for Hoyer... Its why I brought him up in the original post of the thread...

And that is an interesting cap question... But since he's no longer a player, I think it would be ok to do so... But thats just a wild ass guess on my part

Was just about to post this. Yeah, I think Hoyer's time is over. I think he will make a fine QB coach, not sure if he wants to take the pay cut. I wonder what the NFL would say if the Pats tried to hire him as a coach while still paying him his guaranteed salary?

Not a bad career for an UDFA.
This is what I was thinking we will see an announcement of Hoyer being a QB coach or an Offensive consultant here.

As far as a Vet QB don’t underestimate Bills love for Jimmy G.
Bill does like him but he is too expensive. BTW I like him vs Mac Jones, I liked Zappe vs Mac Jones.

Hoyer's contract:

"Current Contract
In 2023, Hoyer will earn a base salary of $1,600,000 and a roster bonus of $400,000, while carrying a cap hit of $1,934,116 and a dead cap value of $1,640,000. Contract Notes: $3.08M guaranteed (signing bonus + 2022 salary + $1.4M of 2023 salary."

Pats plan to cut Hoyer per pft

Unless Hoyer physically can't (or doesn't want to) do it because of the concussion, I don't understand why the team would cut him.

Hoyer costs about the same cut or not. He's a third QB. How much of an improvement will there be?

If the team wants to invest several million in a veteran backup and turn Zappe into #3, it would be the only way this would make any sense.

Bill does like him but he is too expensive. BTW I like him vs Mac Jones, I liked Zappe vs Mac Jones.
We know that BB originally liked JG as a replacement for TB12. After his refusal to play with the shoulder injury and his track record at San Fran, I would be surprised if he still felt the same way. The fact that Purdy was so successful as a replacement really hurts JG's value.

They must be planning on drafting someone like DTR and do not want 4 QBs in July. DTR would also make a good "mobile" practice QB.

For the record, like who cares:

I was not impressed with Mac Jones in his rookie year. I was impressed on how much offense Josh McDaniels got out of Jones, running backs, WR's and TEs considering what McDaniels had to work with.

Season two of Mac Jones showed me he is immature, confirmed he does not have a strong arm, and had a slow release plus his other faults.

Bill Belichick said a lot when he said that "Mac Jones deserved to be in the NFL." Bill did not say the Patriots but instead the NFL. I don't feel Bill's comment was because Mac Jones went outside the Pats' organization, that pissed Bill off but instead Bill saw more and the same Mac Jones' weaknesses in the second season.

Bill wants to make the playoffs. He believes he can do so with the defense, running backs, field goals and Mac Jones being controlled to throwing short quick passes over the offensive line. Bill knows he needs more protection for Mac Jones from the offensive line because of his slow release time and less penalties from the offensive line, Bill will fix that this off season.

Bill will roll the dice that anything can happen in the playoffs so he must get the Patriots there.

Bill will change out Mac Jones for a better QB in a NY heart beat if given the chance. He knows he still has Zappe who can follow the script as outlined and offer a long ball possibility that Jones doesn't have or can't release because he is slow.

Just my opinion

For the record, like who cares:

I was not impressed with Mac Jones in his rookie year. I was impressed on how much offense Josh McDaniels got out of Jones, running backs, WR's and TEs considering what McDaniels had to work with.

Season two of Mac Jones showed me he is immature, confirmed he does not have a strong arm, and had a slow release plus his other faults.

Bill Belichick said a lot when he said that "Mac Jones deserved to be in the NFL." Bill did not say the Patriots but instead the NFL. I don't feel Bill's comment was because Mac Jones went outside the Pats' organization, that pissed Bill off but instead Bill saw more and the same Mac Jones' weaknesses in the second season.

Bill wants to make the playoffs. He believes he can do so with the defense, running backs, field goals and Mac Jones being controlled to throwing short quick passes over the offensive line. Bill knows he needs more protection for Mac Jones from the offensive line because of his slow release time and less penalties from the offensive line, Bill will fix that this off season.

Bill will roll the dice that anything can happen in the playoffs so he must get the Patriots there.

Bill will change out Mac Jones for a better QB in a NY heart beat if given the chance. He knows he still has Zappe who can follow the script as outlined and offer a long ball possibility that Jones doesn't have or can't release because he is slow.

Just my opinion
dude, i gotta ask... after all that about mac, why did you dislike my post about no one being completely sold on Mac?

dude, i gotta ask... after all that about mac, why did you dislike my post about no one being completely sold on Mac?
I want to answer you, can you repost your original post that you say I disliked? Pleasd

Mike Reiss reporting Hoyer is gone.

Must be true.

It actually costs the team salary cap.

Macs drama will play out this year... I dont think anyone is fully sold on him long term, but as the saying goes, He'll do until we find someone better

I want to answer you, can you repost your original post that you say I disliked? Pleasd
The above post...

The above post...
Thank you very much. I changed it to agree. I originally posted I disagree to your comment " he will do until we find someone better" I didn't make that clear, sorry. He won't do but we are stuck with him. You know my opinion of Mac Jones. I have not been impressed. While his coaches let him down his liabilities make it tough to coach an effective offense, MO.

Hoyer’s release like Howerton being released yesterday and Tae Hayes, Kristian Wilkerson and LeBryan Ray earlier is just the Pats clearing their roster of guys who have no chance of making the 53 because of age, talent or health reasons to make room for players acquired through FA, the draft or UDFA who do.

Bring another developmental QB in here. Carry 3 on the 53 if you must. You can’t have too many, and open competition is the best to get the level of performance you need from that position.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back