PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always be very careful with rushing quarterbacks. They are essentially running backs and break down after the same amount of wear.

All joking aside his sartorial flamboyance is way way out there...

...as time has passed his appearance, and behaviour, have...shall we say...progressed.

View attachment 29116
Not sure if people are afraid to point it out or they are more liberal or civilized than I am but I find his manner of dressing, hair do to be an indication of things not being well mentally. I have maintained this stance since I saw a Walmart picture of him wearing the most ridiculous outfit you can wear about three years ago. I was called all sorts of names for bring this up when we signed him.
What confuses me is that when he talks, he sounds like someone who has it all together so I really don't know.

Anyone ever noticed Tompa Boy's honey pie outfits?.Looks like the rookie usher/popcorn maker at the local movie theater.

Mike Reiss did some film review and he said there were plays where harry or other receivers were wide open and cam just didnt see them.

So idk what the issue is

didn’t we hear this bull **** last year about Brady too

didn’t we hear this bull **** last year about Brady too
The difference is that brady was going through progressions and getting rid of the ball and people were saying someone else (a lower progression) was open.
newton just holds the ball and seems to not understand the progressions and the timing of the routes.

Not sure if people are afraid to point it out or they are more liberal or civilized than I am but I find his manner of dressing, hair do to be an indication of things not being well mentally. I have maintained this stance since I saw a Walmart picture of him wearing the most ridiculous outfit you can wear about three years ago. I was called all sorts of names for bring this up when we signed him.
What confuses me is that when he talks, he sounds like someone who has it all together so I really don't know.
Everybody is different. I think this mindset is very outdated and has a lot to do with gender roles and how a man should dress. You can have your opinion, but maybe this is just who Cam Newton truly is. I accept him for how he wants to dress. With that said, if he stinks up the joint this weekend then I'm moving on from him as QB.

Bulls eye.

Last edited:
Not sure if people are afraid to point it out or they are more liberal or civilized than I am but I find his manner of dressing, hair do to be an indication of things not being well mentally. I have maintained this stance since I saw a Walmart picture of him wearing the most ridiculous outfit you can wear about three years ago.
I've seen a couple of those pictures with different outfits. Considering it's Walmart, his clothes seem pretty tame compared to what I have seen others wear in that store per outfits. Anyway you cut it, if you look at the his clothing and the way he wears it, he does wear it with style. Over the years watching him in Carolina, I first started out thinking "what the heck are you thinking wearing THAT" (and admittedly rubbed me the wrong way for whatever reason at first), but over the years I've come to the conclusion it's his money and I've kind of grown to admire him for not caring what other people think what he wears for being he is a high profile athlete (heck, my wife says the same thing about me sometimes when we go out, and my mother in law says the same thing about my father in law LOL).

That said, SAN12 hit the nail on the head being it's not his clothes who people should judge, but his playing on the field.

Rewatched the Patriots offensive plays vs SF last night.
Five games as starter, it is becoming abundantly clear what Newton's strengths and weaknesses are in the passing game.

His 20-25 yd game is money. Frozen ropes to Edelman vs Seattle, pin point lasers to Meyers vs San Fran. This is his bread and butter range and he knows it, hence the reluctance to take the short pass when available. He's relied on his scrambling throughout his career in order to bide time for his receivers to get into his bread and butter zone.
His short pass game is inconsistent at best, and more often a mess. He often lacks touch and he has been mostly unsuccessful in delivering a ball that allows his receivers to gain YAC.

IMO, Cam's strengths are not a fit with NE's personnel or strategy.
I also can't imagine Bill will ever build an offense that needs 3+ seconds to develop.

PS.....in the few plays Harry was running routes before his injury, he did get open and occasionally was wide open but ignored.....but Cam was more focused down field.

Interested to see if the Cam-Meyers combo can continue to connect. Cam was certainly latched on to him vs SF

If Newton could throw on time nobody would care if he showed up in neon body paint.

He looks like a stopgap and nothing more now, but with this receiver/TE group there is no QB in the league that's getting a ring. Even the 2000 Ravens had Shannon Sharpe with some gas left in the tank and Ismail made Harry look like Randy... Moss. The Pats have a gimpy Edelman standing in front of a Taco Bell grease fire.

I've got to admit, when it comes to sports, I'm not a very analytical kind of guy.

That said, your response made me look...

The reality is Cam has appeared to say that he's always wanted to be the best football player that has ever played. Looking at his stats compared to who I thought was a very business savvy guy but overall sucked as a QB (making top dollar but never overall producing), perhaps Cam has a very long way to go...

View attachment 29101
I didn't care much for Cam's attitude when he came into the league. His goal was to become an "icon." His goal should have been to become an NFL QB.

At that time there was a NYG LB (I forget who that was) who was critical of him because he felt that a QB needed to be a pocket passer to succeed. That hasn't changed much. You can be a runner but passing is still the #1 priority.

When Cam came to the Pats I was willing to give him a chance, but he's clearly not even a decent passer. I know there were plenty of fans who wanted to hand him a boatload of cash and make him our QB for years to come, but that isn't happening.

My only question now, after seeing him up close, is how the heck did he ever win MVP?

Anyone ever noticed Tompa Boy's honey pie outfits?.Looks like the rookie usher/popcorn maker at the local movie theater.
I haven't noticed. Can you provide any examples?

Personally, I don't give two shyts what any athlete wears. It's what happens on the field that counts.

I've seen a couple of those pictures with different outfits. Considering it's Walmart, his clothes seem pretty tame compared to what I have seen others wear in that store per outfits. Anyway you cut it, if you look at the his clothing and the way he wears it, he does wear it with style. Over the years watching him in Carolina, I first started out thinking "what the heck are you thinking wearing THAT" (and admittedly rubbed me the wrong way for whatever reason at first), but over the years I've come to the conclusion it's his money and I've kind of grown to admire him for not caring what other people think what he wears for being he is a high profile athlete (heck, my wife says the same thing about me sometimes when we go out, and my mother in law says the same thing about my father in law LOL).

That said, SAN12 hit the nail on the head being it's not his clothes who people should judge, but his playing on the field.
I think Cam is looking for attention. It's too bad that it's for his clothing and not his QB play.

Been checking out Newton's career stats page....

(Cam worked all morning to get his top knot just perfect for this photo)

....and it is more apparent than ever how little Newton has to work with in this NE offense.

Newton is on pace for 6 passing TDs
Who on the roster is a legitimate end zone target?
Who is even a middling end zone target?
If his receivers can't get open in the vast open spaces between the 20's, is it any surprise this group can't gain separation in a 10 yd rectangle.
Tom Brady concurs.
And clearly McDaniels is aware of the lack of legitimate end zone targets given the frequency Cam is asked to be the goal line RB.
BB concurs.

The funny thing is, statistically, Newton is matching his most accurate season.....67% completion rate.
To be so accurate, his adjusted yards per attempt are his lowest ever.
Imagine if Cam didn't have capable pass catching RBs as outlets.

In some strange way, Newton has demonstrated remarkable restraint in suppressing what he has to be feeling..."There's nobody to throw to"
Tom Brady concurs, though Brady's restraint only went so far. His actions were non-verbal.

This weekend, I, along with most every other keyboard warrior on this site, will likely pound out multiple "Cam sucks" diatribes if the Pats offense continues its current path of disfunction even though we are fully aware his targets are named Meyers, Byrd, Izzo, Keene, and the shell of Edelman.
Receivers on half the practice squads in the league are more potent than this ensemble.

I look at Newton's rookie season......totally inexperienced, yet he lit up the league.
And now with 9+ years under his very stylish belt, suddenly he has regressed to the point of incompetence?
That narrative that Cam sucks is lazy.
Sure, the fit is bad
His weapons are worse
Let me rephrase that...His targets are worse. Not a single sane football enthusiast would ever categorize a current NE WR or TE as a weapon (sorry JE, you're a hobbled, squinty-eyed shell these days)

Last edited:
Been checking out Newton's career stats page....

(Cam worked all morning to get his top knot just perfect for this photo)

....and it is more apparent than ever how little Newton has to work with in this NE offense.

Newton is on pace for 6 passing TDs
Who on the roster is a legitimate end zone target?
Who is even a middling end zone target?
If his receivers can't get open in the vast open spaces between the 20's, is it any surprise this group can't gain separation in a 10 yd rectangle.
Tom Brady concurs.
And clearly McDaniels is aware of the lack of legitimate end zone targets given the frequency Cam is asked to be the goal line RB.
BB concurs.

The funny thing is, statistically, Newton is matching his most accurate season.....67% completion rate.
To be so accurate, his adjusted yards per attempt are his lowest ever.
Imagine if Cam didn't have capable pass catching RBs as outlets.

In some strange way, Newton has demonstrated remarkable restraint in suppressing what he has to be feeling..."There's nobody to throw to"
Tom Brady concurs, though Brady's restraint only went so far. His actions were non-verbal.

This weekend, I, along with most every other keyboard warrior on this site, will likely pound out multiple "Cam sucks" diatribes if the Pats offense continues its current path of disfunction even though we are fully aware his targets are named Meyers, Byrd, Izzo, Keene, and the shell of Edelman.
Receivers on half the practice squads in the league are more potent than this ensemble.

I look at Newton's rookie season......totally inexperienced, yet he lit up the league.
And now with 9+ years under his very stylish belt, suddenly he has regressed to the point of incompetence?
That narrative that Cam sucks is lazy.
Sure, the fit is bad
His weapons are worse
Let me rephrase that...His targets are worse. Not a single sane football enthusiast would ever categorize a current NE WR or TE as a weapon (sorry JE, you're a hobbled, squinty-eyed shell these days)
This still doesn’t explain things like:
-Missing/being too late on reads to open receivers within the concepts
-Throwing the ball 5 yards into the dirt on an 8 yard hitch to the sticks
-Reluctance to throw the ball away, resulting in coverage sacks and awful decisions. The pick on the late crosser to Meyers last week was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen a qb make. I understand that this can be a product of receivers not being open, but at least Brady would get rid of it and not kill the drive. And again, Cam is failing to find receivers on time when they ARE open. That negates the “no one is open” narrative to some extent.

This still doesn’t explain things like:
-Missing/being too late on reads to open receivers within the concepts
-Throwing the ball 5 yards into the dirt on an 8 yard hitch to the sticks
-Reluctance to throw the ball away, resulting in coverage sacks and awful decisions. The pick on the late crosser to Meyers last week was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen a qb make. I understand that this can be a product of receivers not being open, but at least Brady would get rid of it and not kill the drive. And again, Cam is failing to find receivers on time when they ARE open. That negates the “no one is open” narrative to some extent.
He's a terrible fit for the Patriots "concept"
Cam is not sub 2 sec QB, never has been. He's more in the mold of Rodgers and Big Ben who have legitimate mid and deep weapons
Bill panic shopped late.....and Pickings are typically slim when you shop at the discount bin when the store is about to close
And unfortunately.....

The "concept" targets in NE don't get open
Brady was grounding balls when targeting the Patriots designated "concept" targets throughout last season
Playing from behind unfortunately forces QBs to take risks, not throw balls away, etc
And in 2019, Brady had a defense that could win games for NE while he chucked into the ground or lobbed it over the coach's head.
Are we forgetting Brady's quotes from last year regarding his weapons?
His sideline demonstrations?

Note: Brady bailed on the "concept"
Note 2.0: Bill addressed the "concept" by adding Byrd

Last edited:
He's a terrible fit for the Patriots "concept"
Cam is not sub 2 sec QB, never has been. He's more in the mold of Rodgers and Big Ben who have legitimate mid and deep weapons

And unfortunately.....

The "concept" targets in NE don't get open
Brady was grounding balls when targeting the Patriots designated "concept" targets throughout last season
Playing from behind unfortunately forces QBs to take risks, not throw balls away, etc
And in 2019, Brady had a defense that could win games for NE while he chucked into the ground or lobbed it over the coach's head.
Are we forgetting Brady's quotes from last year regarding his weapons?
His sideline demonstrations?

Note: Brady bailed on the "concept"
Note 2.0: Bill addressed the "concept" by adding Byrd
I’m referring to plays where receivers are in fact open and there are throws to be made. These throws are not all 2 second quick game throws, although it would be a massive help if he could make those throws in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore