PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m referring to plays where receivers are in fact open and there are throws to be made. These throws are not all 2 second quick game throws, although it would be a massive help if he could make those throws in time.
Newton is more accurate this year (67%) with less to work with (hobbled JE, no Watson) than Brady was last year (61%)
Yes It's ugly
It was ugly last year too, even with Brady having 20 years experience within the "concept"
Cam's had 4 months....with no trustworthy safety valve available (JE)

Newton is more accurate this year (67%) with less to work with (hobbled JE, no Watson) than Brady was last year (61%)
Yes It's ugly
It was ugly last year too, even with Brady having 20 years experience within the "concept"
Unfortunately I’m reluctant to attribute accuracy solely to completion %. I’m glad Brady threw it away as much as he did, which lowered completion %.
Cam’s sack % this year is 7.1%, to Brady’s 4.2% last year.
Brady’s int % last year was 1.3%. Cam’s this year is 5.3%.

Part of my gripe is plays like having an open receiver out of his break, not reading it correctly, and ending the play in a sack, a pick, or a 1 yard qb run.

Rewatched the Patriots offensive plays vs SF last night.
Five games as starter, it is becoming abundantly clear what Newton's strengths and weaknesses are in the passing game.

His 20-25 yd game is money. Frozen ropes to Edelman vs Seattle, pin point lasers to Meyers vs San Fran. This is his bread and butter range and he knows it, hence the reluctance to take the short pass when available. He's relied on his scrambling throughout his career in order to bide time for his receivers to get into his bread and butter zone.
His short pass game is inconsistent at best, and more often a mess. He often lacks touch and he has been mostly unsuccessful in delivering a ball that allows his receivers to gain YAC.

IMO, Cam's strengths are not a fit with NE's personnel or strategy.
I also can't imagine Bill will ever build an offense that needs 3+ seconds to develop.

PS.....in the few plays Harry was running routes before his injury, he did get open and occasionally was wide open but ignored.....but Cam was more focused down field.

Interested to see if the Cam-Meyers combo can continue to connect. Cam was certainly latched on to him vs SF
Yeah when given time Cam can stand in the pocket and throw catchable balls in that range...

...What irritates me however is that, for all of his running prowess, Cam does not usually buy himself more time as the pocket changes shape...
His peripheral vision narrows to his target so he doesn't use his feet to adjust...like Brady seemed to do...Cam also sucks throwing on the run,
which for a QB who likes to run as much as he does is really inexcusable...And then there's his throwing mechanics when he does stay in the pocket...Hasn't learned a damn thing in a decade...

It's obvious that Cam is a better fit for the Gilman-Coryell offense (of which his 2018 OC Norv Turner is a disciple) than he is for E-P, even though
he had 5 years of experience with it under Mike Shula.

EDIT: I also should not discount the possibility that he is hurting somewhere worse than he or the team is letting on...

Last edited:
I haven't noticed. Can you provide any examples?

Personally, I don't give two shyts what any athlete wears. It's what happens on the field that counts.

I think Cam is looking for attention. It's too bad that it's for his clothing and not his QB play.

If you really "don't give two shyts what an athlete wears" then you would not be doing psychoanalysis with "I think Cam is looking for attention", and try to blame Cam with more biting insight that Cam needs to concentrate on his "QB play" not "his clothing". ;)

If you really "don't give two shyts what an athlete wears" then you would not be doing psychoanalysis with "I think Cam is looking for attention", and try to blame Cam with more biting insight that Cam needs to concentrate on his "QB play" not "his clothing". ;)
I can easily critique his clothes and care whether he's a decent QB that gives the Pats a chance to win, which he isn't. Bite that.

Always be very careful with rushing quarterbacks. They are essentially running backs and break down after the same amount of wear.
Lamar Jackson is doing okay so far and is young enough to possibly break PEDton Manning's one-and-done record.

I can easily critique his clothes and care whether he's a decent QB that gives the Pats a chance to win, which he isn't. Bite that.

Yes you can. But right before you critiqued Cam's clothes you said, "I don't give two shytes what an athlete wears". My comment was about you talking out of both sides of your mouth, not about caring.

Lamar Jackson has only been in the league for three seasons. Running backs tend to go downhill at around age 30 or usually 5-8 years in the league.

Yes It's ugly

While I was saying this before, this past game showed that Cam is more accurate because of the WRs than because of him.. They're making the catches on horribly thrown balls. To really compare Tom and Cam, you also have to take into consideration the quality of O-line. Last year's O-line wasn't great. Especially with Andrews being out. Cannon and Mason playing hurt and missing games. Wynn missing games.

The additions of Onwenu and Herron as well as the return of Andrews has made this O-line better. Though Wynn has been playing hurt this year and we're without Cannon.

If Newton could throw on time nobody would care if he showed up in neon body paint.
Don't nobody care...it's not about his appearance...but rather his focus (or lack thereof) and stability (or lack thereof).

Last edited:
Yes It's ugly

He looked good the first 3 games before covid-19. Let's not overreact just like people were saying Brady was done after not knowing it was 4th down

He looked good the first 3 games before covid-19. Let's not overreact just like people were saying Brady was done after not knowing it was 4th down

Covid....the excuse which covers even the widest of water-fronts anymore....LOL.

It's great he knows why he's screwing up. Seriously, that sort of awareness is a good thing.

But it's virtually meaningless without the ability to correct those mistakes.
I was going to say glad he's taking responsibility. That's just talk though...now do something about it.

Is cam newton done or is he a product of the offensive options he has is the question? He certainly has been horrible the last couple games.

But we all thought brady was on the downswing last year and now look at him when given actual nfl receivers

Cam is set up to fail. Something that Brady realized during the 2019 season. Cam needs to cut down on the turnovers and just throw it in the dirt if it's not there Brady style.

Who's starting at WR on Sunday? Meyers, Gunner and Zubner? :eek:

It's the same cr@p as last year. Guys aren't getting open so the QB hangs onto the ball so long. The only difference is brady would throw those balls away or into the ground. Cam gets sacked. We have no one who can beat man coverage.

When you are resorting to trick plays to generate offense and have to scheme guys open it's a problem

Yes It's ugly
Cam Newton completed 60% of his passes against SF. I think that should tell you that looking solely at comp% gives you a pretty poor picture of how well a QB is playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes