PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way to win with a wildcat Qb which is what he really is, is to run the ball, set up easy throws on early downs to back them off and if you get a 3rd and more than 4 either run a draw or send d retune deep and have scramble.
I agree with you.

Bigger question is what made cam change his approach when his first couple of games were so successful and why has his passing accuracy gone to heck?

I agree with you.

Bigger question is what made cam change his approach when his first couple of games were so successful and why has his passing accuracy gone to heck?
Cause that’s who he is, inconsistent, one throw will have you like wow the other will have you like wtf was that. That’s been Cam his entire career when it comes to throwing the ball, inconsistency.

I don't see Newton as a BAD player. Just not good enough for a team to fully commit long term.

I prefer to judge on a large body of work rather than cherry picking a hot or cold stretch.

Screenshot_20200703-133002_YouTube.jpg

I agree with you.

I think he's hurt. If you look at the way he's playing as opposed to before he got COVID it makes sense. If you're Cam the last thing you want to do is tell people you're hurt when that was the number one knock on you when you were on the market for so long. I think everyone knows that and that's why no one is throwing him under the bus regarding his performance.

I think he's hurt. If you look at the way he's playing as opposed to before he got COVID it makes sense. If you're Cam the last thing you want to do is tell people you're hurt when that was the number one knock on you when you were on the market for so long. I think everyone knows that and that's why no one is throwing him under the bus regarding his performance.
That's a lot of highly debatable assumptions piled on top of each other

disgusted ace ventura GIF

seems to be the same foot he injured

His mechanics look off, thought they fixed that, if its an injury maybe they cant right now. I think he starts to play better in the future, whether he heals or they work on his mechanics.

I agree with you.

Game 1: He threw for 155 yards
Game 2: He played the Seahawks which is rank 32nd in pass defense

Game 1: He threw for 155 yards
Game 2: He played the Seahawks which is rank 32nd in pass defense

I've got to admit, when it comes to sports, I'm not a very analytical kind of guy.

That said, your response made me look...

The reality is Cam has appeared to say that he's always wanted to be the best football player that has ever played. Looking at his stats compared to who I thought was a very business savvy guy but overall sucked as a QB (making top dollar but never overall producing), perhaps Cam has a very long way to go...

CS.png

Hoyer vs KC: 130 yards passing, 0 TD, 1 INT, 59.4 passer rating, 2 sacks
Cam average per game over last two games: 127.5 yards passing, 0 TD, 2.5 INT, 43 passer rating, 2.5 sacks

You might be on to something there...

Good thing the Pats waiting to after week 2 to extend Newton. :rolleyes:
Exactly! We saw the same thing with Dorsett last season (I actually had like four posters coming after me when I said they wouldn't extend him during the season, if at all). And I'm sure I can come up with more players if I think long enough. This is just one of those things in sports fandom - kneejerk reactions and hard swings of the pendulum one way or the other after one or two games.

Hoyer vs KC: 130 yards passing, 0 TD, 1 INT, 59.4 passer rating, 2 sacks
Cam average per game over last two games: 127.5 yards passing, 0 TD, 2.5 INT, 43 passer rating, 2.5 sacks

You might be on to something there...
You forget, Cam won the Hiesman trophy along with a national championship before he was drafted, whereas Hoyer did not. That said, Hoyer started and finished at the same college during his college football playing years and had no "drama" during those years, including no arrests.

Of course I'm being somewhat facetious, my point is there is more to a QB than only ratings (for better or worse) including how many championships you've actually won during that professional sports career. One reason why no matter how good or bad you are, football is a TEAM sport.

All that said, I sincerely hope Cam can redeem himself in his own eyes.

In my opinion, this season is over. Why rush to resign Newton? He will want another chance, he isn't going anywhere, what team would want him based on this season so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back