PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missed FG, and if there were more than 3 seconds left when they had the ball at the 1 yard line, they likely score there too. 26-33 points is a more realistic reflection of their true offensive output. Newton was extremely good by every subjective and objective measure.

RE: your Edelman comment, he still looks like a walking corpse; he isn't significantly healthier/faster/quicker than he was last season.

Admittedly new to this, but was Edelmans “fuzziness” something that happens a lot? I kept thinking he needs to get checked out. Then the guy that played in the 1980s inside me was “nah, he’s good”. I didn’t realize just how tough he is.

I can only see two teams he would consider. INDY and SF. And that’s if they are even interested. Any of those others are just joining a sinking ship.
He’s a 30 year old QB who runs. His next contract might be his last big one if it goes 3 or more years.

If the Jets offer him stupid money he can be the man in New York and set himself up

Jets are locked to Darnold, Browns to Mayfield, Jaguars maybe but Minshew is cheap and they like him, and they may be looking at T Lawrence anyway, Panthers NO obviously, Saints maybe, Washington has #1 draft pick in Hankins, and Bears just took on Foles's massive contract.
Darnold and Mayfield are in year 3 of a rookie contract. This is the year you decide. If Cam’s available it makes their decision easier. If they are in position for Lawrence after they can still start Cam a year and make a trade when Lawrence is ready. Panthers aren’t a no obviously. Revis went back to the Jets. It could be sold as the heroes homecoming and fixing a mistake.

Cam Newton, sign the beast leader warrior. Anything at 25M/yr or less, it's a no brainer to extend him the rest of his career. He could be our Steve Young after Joe Montana guy. I think he can play another 3-4 years at a high level. He didn't even run that much yesterday, used his laser arm to carry the offense.

It was a great performance by Cam, but it's early in the season, and we don't know where any of this will end up. To argue it's better than say putting up 43 points against KC, or the playoff games against San Diego and KC in '19, or even the way we started off last season blistering Pittsburgh, it's all hollow since we don't know what the rest of the season holds or how good these teams are. Nor how the Patriots will perform at crunch time in the playoffs.

Darnold and Mayfield are in year 3 of a rookie contract. This is the year you decide. If Cam’s available it makes their decision easier. If they are in position for Lawrence after they can still start Cam a year and make a trade when Lawrence is ready. Panthers aren’t a no obviously. Revis went back to the Jets. It could be sold as the heroes homecoming and fixing a mistake.

With jobs on the line, one of these GMs is going to look extraordinarily foolish if they give up on Darnold/Mayfield now and bring in an older running QB with the history that Cam has, and then it doesn't pan out.

Belichick is playing with house money because we're coming off 20 years of Brady and we have no heir apparent in place, and we haven't expended a lot of resources.

I'm not saying Darnold/Mayfield are the next Drew Brees, but you can imagine they could go somewhere else and be a lot more successful than with the 2 worst franchises in the NFL.

that means nothing for now. For comparison, Brady completion percentage was 69% over the first two games with a passer rating of 124.8!

Brady had 19 years in the offense and Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon on the field.

Now Cam looks extremely good. For sure Top 3 in the AFC. Will it be the case at the end of the season? I really hope so, that doesn’t mean it will be the case.

BB understand that thing changes quickly and he will not based his decision of extending a player only after two really good games.

The only way Cam looks worse is if he is injured. Otherwise he will improve as he learns the offense and Josh figures out how best to use him.

How dare the Pats’ not sign Newton before they signed him?!:rofl:

With jobs on the line, one of these GMs is going to look extraordinarily foolish if they give up on Darnold/Mayfield now and bring in an older running QB with the history that Cam has, and then it doesn't pan out.

Belichick is playing with house money because we're coming off 20 years of Brady and we have no heir apparent in place, and we haven't expended a lot of resources.

I'm not saying Darnold/Mayfield are the next Drew Brees, but you can imagine they could go somewhere else and be a lot more successful than with the 2 worst franchises in the NFL.
Actually this is the time where GM’s make decisions to let bad draft picks go. Right now if they don’t work out you can move on and sell them on “losing from an error fast”. Once the GM gives them a contract, people regret spending money on something that isn’t producing FAST

The only way Cam looks worse is if he is injured. Otherwise he will improve as he learns the offense and Josh figures out how best to use him.

I’ll play the devil advocate a little bit. This works both ways. The Patriots will not be the only teams that improves, other teams will improve too maybe further along in the season teams will be able to stop him. We don’t know that yet. For now, almost everything is going for us. Yesterday there was multiple pass from Cam who could have been picked off. One maybe for six. We don’t see this game the same if he has 2 picks, one of them a pick 6. There is a very thin line sometimes between a great game and a poor one.

Yesterday Seatlle shot themselves in the foot up by twelve with penalties on O when they could have ice the game. Credit where it is due, Cam fought back and we almost win. But I don’t think it is realistic to expect Cam to bail us out every Sunday. I read somewhere that on his 397 yards, 312 happened in the second half. That will not happen every week. Don’t forget that Seatlle had like 4 injuries on defense too. It’s not like he threw 400 yds against the number one defense

Sure. Just like he made most of his throws from outside the pocket in Carolina. Your words. Or am I making that up too?
No I never said that. I said he was not an effective pocket passer. He wasn’t.

And his comp % is 71 compared to Brady’s 61 with the same players/coaches. But I’m sure there are reasons.
Its 2 games. Accuracy and completion percentage are not the same thing.
You are entitled to your opinion. If you are confident in it, you should just ignore mine because we will never agree.

I don't know what game you were watching when you say things like this.

Cam made some perfect throws against extremely competitive coverage. I remember watching some of the windows he fit the ball into and thinking, "that looked like a Russell Wilson throw".

If you have concerns about his longevity, fine, but to diminish his play yesterday is beyond me. The guy quarterbacked an impeccable game of football in every regard.

Color me shocked that AJ liked your post.
He had a good game. He is not an accurate QB. Did you see the 2 outs to Byrd, one that was a dropped pick 6 and the other that was a pick? He threw that ball too far inside all night.
Im not saying he misses guys by 5 yards and every throw is terrible, I am saying by NFL QB standards his accuracy is not good. It doesn’t mean he can’t complete passes. My god people on this forum think there are 2 choices
perfection in every way or total suck.

I’ll play the devil advocate a little bit. This works both ways. The Patriots will not be the only teams that improves, other teams will improve too maybe further along in the season teams will be able to stop him. We don’t know that yet. For now, almost everything is going for us. Yesterday there was multiple pass from Cam who could have been picked off. One maybe for six. We don’t see this game the same if he has 2 picks, one of them a pick 6. There is a very thin line sometimes between a great game and a poor one.

Yesterday Seatlle shot themselves in the foot up by twelve with penalties on O when they could have ice the game. Credit where it is due, Cam fought back and we almost win. But I don’t think it is realistic to expect Cam to bail us out every Sunday. I read somewhere that on his 397 yards, 312 happened in the second half. That will not happen every week. Don’t forget that Seatlle had like 4 injuries on defense too. It’s not like he threw 400 yds against the number one defense
Seattle has their starting safety ejected and his backup injured.
All those yards to Edelman was because they had Jamal Adams covering him. Most teams will cover Edelman with a corner or a double. How can anyone who understands football take a players good early season game and think, oh, it can only get better. That just doesn’t happen.

He’s a 30 year old QB who runs. His next contract might be his last big one if it goes 3 or more years.

If the Jets offer him stupid money he can be the man in New York and set himself up

It’s the Jets. He just escaped a terminally mediocre organization. This is like a new world for him. I really don’t think he’s going to make this decision on money alone. A quality team/organization is much more important.

Cam looks unbelievable. the only worry is health. if he can stay healthy we will win a lot more games than we lose.

No I never said that. I said he was not an effective pocket passer. He wasn’t.

Its 2 games. Accuracy and completion percentage are not the same thing.
You are entitled to your opinion. If you are confident in it, you should just ignore mine because we will never agree.
Newton is a dual threat qb. It is vital to his game. If he must abandon his running game and be a pocket passer he will struggle. If newton ran like Brady he would be out if the league. A big part of Newton’s game is designed runs and moving around to create passing opportunities. He has never been a pocket passer in a prototypical “pro offense”.

And considering he won an MVP throwing 92% from the pocket(which you said I made up) I’d say he showed he could throw from the pocket quite well. It was obvious then as it is now. You hadn’t watched Cam much at all. Anyone who has knew he could do exactly what he did then, and has showed now.

You’re exactly right. Accuracy and Cmp% are not the same thing. Which is what I tried to tell you when you just kept posting stats and calling any attempt at context as excuses. Unless it was Tom Brady. Then any and all excuses are allowed.

First, let's see if Newton can still stay healthy for an entire season.

Second, Newton is not going to sign something now unless he gets top of the market money. If he plays like this all year, he will have multiple teams vying for him. He can use them to leverage the best deal.

Third, I am not sure if the Pats can franchise him, but that might be the smarter play. Newton may not be the type of QB who will last beyond his early to mid 30s with the beating his body takes. Guys like Roethlisberger who can take a constant beating and last into his late 30s are the exception. I don't know if you want a long term investment in this guy if he becomes injury prone Cam or starts to break down. Even though it is expensive, investing in Newton on a year by year basis might be better than giving him a deal.

First, let's see if Newton can still stay healthy for an entire season.

Second, Newton is not going to sign something now unless he gets top of the market money. If he plays like this all year, he will have multiple teams vying for him. He can use them to leverage the best deal.

Third, I am not sure if the Pats can franchise him, but that might be the smarter play. Newton may not be the type of QB who will last beyond his early to mid 30s with the beating his body takes. Guys like Roethlisberger who can take a constant beating and last into his late 30s are the exception. I don't know if you want a long term investment in this guy if he becomes injury prone Cam or starts to break down. Even though it is expensive, investing in Newton on a year by year basis might be better than giving him a deal.
Makes sense, but I have to worry a little bit about the locker room dynamic. Right now it's still a honeymoon-type phase with the Pats giving him the chance no one else would, but once he's proven himself, he may not appreciate the lack of commitment.... Just thinking out loud.

Makes sense, but I have to worry a little bit about the locker room dynamic. Right now it's still a honeymoon-type phase with the Pats giving him the chance no one else would, but once he's proven himself, he may not appreciate the lack of commitment.... Just thinking out loud.

The Pats already showed their commitment by giving him a chance when other teams were busy making bad choices. I truly think someone will have to drag him away from NE. The only place he should even think about is SF If they move on from JimmyG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots