PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
His agent would do him a disservice if he let his client sign a contract in the middle of a season where he is playing well.

Belichick will need to know the status of the salary cap for next season with all the revenue losses before he hamstrings the team, even if it means potentially losing out on Cam Newton.

I don't know how many of you follow European soccer but Covid has taken the starch out of some potentially big moves over the last month. Teams are unwilling to buy star players on the market because of the uncertainty of the Covid revenue losses. And the teams that own the rights to these players are refusing to part with them because they feel they are being ripped off.

So we can talk about how much Newton deserves, and we can even agree he should get $25m, but if #1 Belichick determines that the Patriots should not kill their cap, and most importantly #2, no other team in the league is going to offer Cam $25m because they won't have the space, then there's no point in maxing him out with an extension now.

Look around the league. Where can Cam possibly go to? Chicago just brought on Foles's contract. What other teams would sign Cam? I'm struggling here to name them.

Anyone have a suggestion on who are competition would be for his services?

Harry also had a good game. The guy goes down way too easily but it’s also clear that he has great hands and can take a big hit and hold onto the ball.

Harry's playing through a shoulder injury which might be affecting his willingness to fight for YAC.

Harry's playing through a shoulder injury which might be affecting his willingness to fight for YAC.

I also think simply working routes and making catches is a good start.....YAC is irrelevant if you don't have the 1st 2

His agent would do him a disservice if he let his client sign a contract in the middle of a season where he is playing well.
I disagree. With Newton's injury issues a bit of security could be more valuable than maximum payout.

Agents get players the contracts they want. If Newton wants to play for a winner with elite coaching, and wants some guaranteed money in case his body fails, and Bill is willing to meet him halfway, something could easily get done. It all depends on what Cam wants, which is the one thing we can't really know

We've got a lot of cap space, they'll probably never be a better time from that standpoint. The fact that he's making $1m this year provides a way to make this happen. Extend 3 more yrs for $100m (beyond this year), with a $25m bonus now and $25m/yr salary for following 3 years. Done, we have him 4 seasons through age 34.

I disagree. With Newton's injury issues a bit of security could be more valuable than maximum payout.

Agents get players the contracts they want. If Newton wants to play for a winner with elite coaching, and wants some guaranteed money in case his body fails, and Bill is willing to meet him halfway, something could easily get done. It all depends on what Cam wants, which is the one thing we can't really know

You're looking at it from a Patriots fan perspective. Look at it from an agent's perspective.

Cam obviously can overrule his agent but I doubt he looks at himself as someone who has to worry about injuries. Elite athletes don't tend to have that kind of mentality.

The agent's job is to do what the player wants. It comes down to what the player wants. If Cam wants to cash in he's probably playing in another jersey next year. If he has other priorities maybe we can get something done.

Would love to have him for the long term but a lot of factors involved for sure. Do we think we are competing for a SB in the near future? Salary cap moving forward? Covid? If nothing else, can we just give him a pay raise for this season? He's putting his body on the line constantly right now for peanuts.

Belichick will need to know the status of the salary cap for next season with all the revenue losses before he hamstrings the team, even if it means potentially losing out on Cam Newton.

I don't know how many of you follow European soccer but Covid has taken the starch out of some potentially big moves over the last month. Teams are unwilling to buy star players on the market because of the uncertainty of the Covid revenue losses. And the teams that own the rights to these players are refusing to part with them because they feel they are being ripped off.

So we can talk about how much Newton deserves, and we can even agree he should get $25m, but if #1 Belichick determines that the Patriots should not kill their cap, and most importantly #2, no other team in the league is going to offer Cam $25m because they won't have the space, then there's no point in maxing him out with an extension now.

Look around the league. Where can Cam possibly go to? Chicago just brought on Foles's contract. What other teams would sign Cam? I'm struggling here to name them.

Jets, Browns, Jaguars, Panthers (again), Saints as Brees won’t have much longer, Ben was already toying with leaving the Steelers and Cam is a very similar style, Washington, the Bears are probably going to give up on Trubbs soon etc.

Cam will find someone who wants to pay.

I know this is going to shock some people, but the QB market is stupid. Brady was a huge advantage on that front. We were lucky with Cam. To give you perspective, there really has been no instance of a Cam like pick up where a firmer MVP was just sitting on the market dirt cheap in the last 10 years.

Guys like Goff and Jimmy G and Cousins reset them market.

Our best bet with Cam is probably offering 30 million guaranteed and a 5 year deal and hoping loyalty to the team that gave him a chance and security for 5 years wins out

This guy's a great talent who's got plenty of prime years left at 31. Plus, rumors of him being a head case or prima donna were wrong. So - if we agree that we want him for the next few seasons, it should be easy to extend him at market rates, cause of his ridiculously low contract this year. Blend that all together and we still get a bargain, while Cam gets paid like a top 5 QB.

Our best bet with Cam is probably offering 30 million guaranteed and a 5 year deal and hoping loyalty to the team that gave him a chance and security for 5 years wins out
no, you extend him now for say 3 seasons after this one for a total of say $102m which is $34m/yr. Give him a $24m bonus now, and spread the $78m over 3 years = $26m salary/yr. Could be 4 more years instead of 3. Guarantee him at least half of it.

That's paying him market rate but we're still getting a bargain cause of this year's contract.

I’m really agreeing with the first part of your comment; @lancerman expressed my views on the 2nd.

In The Dynasty, it’s noted that BB didn’t see the rush to extend Brady in *2010* due to the labor agreement and Brady being 33 years old for the 2011 season. BB has gone on record numerous times saying, “You can’t be afraid of free agency.” Newton is going to be 32 years old next season.

If an extension gets worked out mid season, it’ll be for 2 reasons — #1, Cam doesn’t want top dollar, and #2, Kraft likes Cam and decides to negotiate directly rather than BB being involved. That’s how Brady’s and Bledsoe’s contracts were all handled — with the 2010 exception (which was later changed and Jonathan took over...), the Krafts have handled the top QB negotiations. BB clearly has a voice, but Kraft’s handled the final decisions here. I expect the same will happen in this case. If neither of these things happen, then there won’t be an extension until the winter. And at that point, all the QB needy teams will come to play, and that’s always at least 1/3 of the league....

Pump the breaks
The guy lit up a patchwork secondary playing prevent defense.
History always confirms: Old running QBs soon become old IR’d QBs.

Bill, the pragmatic, does not risk his team’s financial future on players like Cam.

Maybe a two year middle of the pack salary with minimal guarantees that won’t handcuff the team when the inevitable injury reoccurs

no, you extend him now for say 3 seasons after this one for a total of say $102m which is $34m/yr. Give him a $24m bonus now, and spread the $78m over 3 years = $26m salary/yr. Could be 4 more years instead of 3. Guarantee him at least half of it.

That's paying him market rate but we're still getting a bargain cause of this year's contract.
I could agree with that. You can get creative and make the money work. I’m just dating something that equals longterm that translates to 30 million for him might get it done.

We should strike now though. Can could end up being in an MVP conversation and someone could throw 40 million at him

Pump the breaks
The guy lit up a patchwork secondary playing prevent defense.
History always confirms: Old running QBs soon become old IR’d QBs.

Bill, the pragmatic, does not risk his team’s financial future on players like Cam.

Maybe a two year middle of the pack salary with minimal guarantees that won’t handcuff the team when the inevitable injury reoccurs
This is unrealistic. The outcome to this is you lose Cam and you have to either roll with Stidham who couldn’t beat out Cam despite being with the team for two years and Can needing to play catch up with barely any training camp OR rolling the dice on the draft.

any thoughts on Cam being an accurate passer after last night? or were the first two weeks just a fluke?
He made some good throws, but he is not an accurate passer at the nfl level.
Sorry that’s just not his game. Doesn’t mean he sucks, all players have weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back