PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN is making me hate Brees

I have no personal issue with Brees himself, but stopping a game for 8+ minutes to have a ceremony is pretty ridiculous. Have it after the game if you must.

Just watched the highlights.

Lol.

So lame.

I don’t think Brady ever has or ever will accept a silly in-game celebration over a personal milestone.

Brees just became uncool in my eyes. He has seven playoff wins and a .575 winning pct. A lot of empty yards there. Russell Westbrook of the NFL.

B.B will never allow that display of individual accomplishment during a game.

Don’t think Brady would either.

Damn, some of you people almost sound a little jealous. IIRC, the NFL decides whether or not to stop the game for something like that.

I have no personal issue with Brees himself, but stopping a game for 8+ minutes to have a ceremony is pretty ridiculous. Have it after the game if you must.
Well, if you just pretended it was a play being challenged, who would know the difference?

Well, if you just pretended it was a play being challenged, who would know the difference?

I think there's a difference between a delay that impacts the game result, and a delay just for delay's sake. Not to mention reviews don't go 8 minutes.

Look, I'm not poo pooing on Brees, or this accomplishment. I'm just saying these games go long enough, especially night games. I don't need ceremonies like this, and I'd say the same thing if Brady was doing it. It would feel weird.

I thought stopping the game and the ref busting out a certificate or something straight outta kindergarten was pretty lame, but I still love Brees and he absolutely deserves to be in the conversation of the all-time greats (just obviously not on TB's level).

Will take Brees getting some love over Rodgers, who is an elite QB who has one of the best regular seasons in history from 2011 but otherwise has neither the stats nor the playoff wins at this time to be in that conversation.

Did the celebration come before the extra point and they just ignored the fact it should have been delay of game? Or did it come after?

In any event, Brees is currently about 4,700 yards ahead of Brady and will likely increase the gap over the remainder of the season.

Really, the only way for Brady to eventually own the career passing yardage record will be to play for at least 1.5 seasons after Brees hangs up the cleats.

I hate ESPN and drew brees too

Nor should there be, since reg season + playoffs (correctly) isn't an official record.

I don't understand why playoffs shouldn't count. Because it's unfair to players on bad teams? I hope that isn't it.

Happy that Brees has it over Manning, but the whole thing was undeniably corny. Not sure how much control over it Brees had and if I'm being honest I think Brady says the same stupid platitude to his kids.

It's definitely what most (casual) viewers wanted to see, so I get it.

I think there's a difference between a delay that impacts the game result, and a delay just for delay's sake. Not to mention reviews don't go 8 minutes.

Look, I'm not poo pooing on Brees, or this accomplishment. I'm just saying these games go long enough, especially night games. I don't need ceremonies like this, and I'd say the same thing if Brady was doing it. It would feel weird.
It was a blowout it was going to go on too long anyway.

Anybody who found themselves grinding their teeth at a HOF QB who had nothing handed to him--who overcame his physical limitations and reached the top via intelligence, leadership and an unbelievable work ethic--because of the extended media love-fest for him...has just experienced the rest of the country's feelings toward Tom Brady for the past dozen years straight. It must be pretty galling from the outside! Good to be on the inside, then. :)

I thought this was way over the top bringing his family out on the field and then him mic’d up giving his kids a Tony Robbins speech. Then they have the f***ing guy from the Hall of Fame there? WTF? Almost like it was rehearsed.

Can’t believe they stopped play for that.

Welcome to the new NFL.

Overhyped, bullcrap.
But I do like Brees.

I just hate the NFL

Damn, some of you people almost sound a little jealous. IIRC, the NFL decides whether or not to stop the game for something like that.

It has more to do with the saccharine emotional triumph from Brees, with him crying in joy and bringing his kids into a rather absurd celebration. That coupled with passing yards being essentially an irrelevant stat made it quite silly. It did suggest to many what’s has been thought for a long time, that the Saints and Brees have really, really cared about this value-less record, perhaps even more than actually winning games. I remember not long ago Vinny Testaverde was 4th all-time in passing yards. All it means is you throw a lot of passes. Just to illustrate how irrelevant it is to skill and actually tends to favor quarterbacks who make more mistakes who get blown out more to get empty passing yards, Brees will almost certainly be surpassed by guys like Matt Stafford and Matt Ryan.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back