PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Has 30-for-30 Coming Out On Belichick/Parcells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parcells brought over 15 assistant coaches to New England during his his tenure.

You're giving him credit for that incidental 1 year assistant coach gig, but the credit goes to the guy for whom BB crawled over broken glass to work for - - not the guy BB gambled his livelihood to escape.

Kraft specifically said that in the 2000 america’s game that he was influenced by players like lawyer malloy who recommended belichick to kraft to be the next HC. Belichick gets hired in 1996 as a defensive assistant and the team goes to the super bowl. I doubt it’s a coincidence. Belichick was NOT just another of parcells’ 15 assistants. Kraft hired him, but would kraft even know who belichick is if he weren’t a defensive assistant back in 1996? Doubtful.

Kraft specifically said that in the 2000 america’s game that he was influenced by players like lawyer malloy who recommended belichick to kraft to be the next HC. Belichick gets hired in 1996 as a defensive assistant and the team goes to the super bowl. I doubt it’s a coincidence. Belichick was NOT just another of parcells’ 15 assistants. Kraft hired him, but would kraft even know who belichick is if he weren’t a defensive assistant back in 1996? Doubtful.

Look, the point you are making is very weak.

Yes, Parcells brought him here for one season as an assistant. Belichick was an assistant for 5 different franchises during his career. If that was the cause for BB becoming head coach here, then why did he leave after the season, not to come back for 3 years? Didn't stick, did it?

However, in 2000, he walked out on an NFL team after less than 24 hours as its head coach, thus gambling his future of ever being ANYTHING again in the NFL (seriously, what other owner would ever hire someone who did that to one of their "brethren") for the rest of his life in order to take the gamble he could get through the legal wrangling to work for Bob Kraft. There is not one other owner in the NFL at that time who would ever dream of giving up 2 1st round picks to ANY team for a (to that point) losing record HC - - - let alone a BITTER RIVAL within own's one division.

Anyone who was a fan in the year 2000, knows exactly what an intense and bitter rivalry Boston-NY was.

95% of the reason why BB became the HC of the N ew England Patriots wasdue to 2 factors:
1) The comparative differences in BB's mind between Woody Johnson and Bob Kraft
2) The ridiculous ransom that Bob Kraft was willing to pay for BB, that no other NFL owner would ven consider in 2000.

5% is due toParcells giving him a 1 year assistant coach landing spot in Foxboro in 1996.

BTW, so more cold hard facts.

Patriot season home attendance averages:

1992 (2nd year of the **** MacPherson era); 38,551

1993: (Parcells' 1st year) 45,370

1994; (Kraft's 1st year): 59,089 (20,000+ season tickets bought the 1st week after Kraft buys team).

WHO saved the franchise?

1992 NFL Attendance Data | Pro-Football-Reference.com
1993 NFL Attendance Data | Pro-Football-Reference.com
1994 NFL Attendance Data | Pro-Football-Reference.com

For whatever reason you are assuming that I am giving parcells 100% credit for the hiring of bill belichick. I am not. What i am giving parcells credit for is introducing belichick to kraft. There is a big difference. It’s like your buddy setting you up on a blind date that results in a successful marriage. Without that intro, the marriage doesn’t take place.

Oh, and brady and belichick saved this franchise. Just sayin’...

Parcells is the god damn man. Great head coach. Great evaluator of talent. He’s kind of one of the architects of our 2000s dynasty

back to the topic...I literally CANNOT WAIT to watch this. Been a long time since I watched ANY BSPN content. I'd bet they did THIS segment knowing the numbers have declined drastically in the NE market. I still loathe the scum,bags that work there but THIS is football candy AFAIC.

Parcells is the god damn man. Great head coach. Great evaluator of talent. He’s kind of one of the architects of our 2000s dynasty

He was far more the architect of the Pete Carroll years.

back to the topic...I literally CANNOT WAIT to watch this. Been a long time since I watched ANY BSPN content. I'd bet they did THIS segment knowing the numbers have declined drastically in the NE market. I still loathe the scum,bags that work there but THIS is football candy AFAIC.
hope they don't screw it up

Someone said it in the clip: "This family's dysfunctional."

Trying to untangle what happened between Parcells and Kraft before and around the 1996 SB would be kind of like untangling what happened at that Thanksgiving Dinner when Uncle Bill and Uncle Bob had words down at the end of the table, got up after dessert and never spoke to each other again.
Not hard at all to see how Parcells got fed up. He had nothing to do with, and disapproved of, the flying elvis and Terry Tyree Glenn (yes that's his full name).

Think about it. Kraft is Mr. Flying Elvis, yet "I too prefer the old logo."

Unlike with Belichick, he stands by Brady, but still endorses Goodell.

Its the equivalent of Dan Duquette's influence on the 2004 Sox team. Not directly involved but his fingerprints are all over it.

I will never forgive Parcells for what he did to us in the 98 Superbowl. To this day I believe we were clearly the better team. We should have won that game. I will always wonder if we had a coach who was fully committed and focused on the game instead of his exit if we would have won that game. 2003 Red Sox was the worst loss followed by 2007 Pats. But that SuperBowl was a close third. To say nothing of him stealing my all time favorite Pats player in a slimy move that was most definitely a violation of the rules. He can drop dead. Never won anything without the other Bill. Overrated.

Parcells put the pats back on the map. Without Parcells, Belichick doesn’t come here.

Bledsoe too. Having the #1 pick and a franchise QB in what was a baseball town at the time was huge

People seem to forget that before Parcells went to New York, he was our linebacker coach.

Bringing him back was one of the only good orthien moves, and probably does not get done, except for the fact that Parcells was here before.

Really? I understand boycotting espn, but you are missing out... I've thoroughly enjoyed almost every episode, I have them set to record on my dvr.. great stuff IMO.

It started as a hard line, but as time has gone on (especially since 2015), I just don't care about non-Pats stuff all that much, so I simply haven't consumed it. Maybe I'll get back to my old ways, and if so, I'll definitely consider checking it out.

Parcells dealings in '96 definitely makes me think less of him.

But, Parcells, along with Kraft and Beldsoe put the Patriots on the winning path and ultimately brought us the GOAT coach, who brought us the GOAT QB. So, he was definitely a pivital character in the Patriots success story.

Ultimately, Parcells was best at taking a trash heap of a team and getting them to be a contender. Not sure if he lost interest after a few years and the team was successful or if his character ultimately caused too much tension with ownership. I'd give him an A for helping to right the ship, but hard to understand what he did in the SB (perhaps my memory is wrong, but it felt like he wasn't one of us 1-2 weeks before the SB).

Can't understand why anyone would not give 100% for the SB regardless so that's why I have to think there's plenty more I don't know about the situation. Couldn't just been about the groceries and cooking the meal (ala Terry Glenn).

Parcell's house in Foxborough was for sale before the 1996 season started. I hated him for his half assed effort in the SB, his refusal to kick away from Desmond Howard, and stealing Curtis Martin, but he changed the culture of this team and possibly taught Kraft a lesson in messing with football operations that ultimately paid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back