PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

EDIT: Pats working out CB Breeland - expected to reach back out this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breeland is a clear upgrade at the CB position. However, the guy has battled injury his entire time in the NFL. He plays, but the guy is just a walking injury. Otherwise, he is awesome.
Breeland has played in 60 of a possible 64 games and started 58 of those.

Breeland is a clear upgrade at the CB position. However, the guy has battled injury his entire time in the NFL. He plays, but the guy is just a walking injury. Otherwise, he is awesome.
I think if Belichick agreed with this, he'd be signed already.

Breeland has played in 60 of a possible 64 games and started 58 of those.

He’s also had at least one non-football injury, which is why his deal with Carolina was voided.

He’s also had at least one non-football injury, which is why his deal with Carolina was voided.
Yes but that does not make him injury prone.

The poster was way off base.

The thing about Breeland is that he plays the right boundary well enough to be left on an island a lot (not always, but a lot) - even against very good WRs. That frees up a safety.

The question is, does that make him worth whatever his asking price may be to the Pats?
yes

Depends on what hes asking for. If its $11m in guarantees this year like CAR was committing that a tough one to swallow this year. My assumption is because the market has dried up he won't get that from anyone so there is a shot they can get him on a 1yr deal if the $ is right.

Jason McCourty is almost $3m cap hit and if hes cut they get that space back. They already paid him $375k so its pittance if the release him in favor of Breeland.

Rowe is cheap at around $1m.

Either way, Breeland is a clear upgrade over these two

Depends on what hes asking for. If its $11m in guarantees this year like CAR was committing that a tough one to swallow this year. My assumption is because the market has dried up he won't get that from anyone so there is a shot they can get him on a 1yr deal if the $ is right.

Jason McCourty is almost $3m cap hit and if hes cut they get that space back. They already paid him $375k so its pittance if the release him in favor of Breeland.

Rowe is cheap at around $1m.

Either way, Breeland is a clear upgrade over these two

Lets put some meat on this.

CAR 11M gtd was not about this year but for the 3yr contract. The structure of the deal was reportedly: Breeland was scheduled to count $3,833,333 against the 2018 salary cap, $9,833,333 in 2019 and $10,333,334 in 2020. He had agreed to an $8.5 million signing bonus (prorated).

More recently the KC offer “leaked“ 2 weeks ago:

Other teams recently working out Breeland are IND, ARI, CLE, BAL, NYJ. Most of them have significantly more cap than NE. But as CAR contract suggests Pats would have no problem to cover that. There is a lot of competition for him at the moment but also hesitation. BB probably sensed the hesitation and made a move to inquire in a possibly opportune moment.

If BB thinks Rowe and J-Mac are not able to take #2 CB as he wants . he will pay Breeland no problem. If the below is true (the source is most likely Butler's manager who certainly wants to look good) he offered Butler significantly bigger deal and Im not sure Butler is a better player on his own (i love Butler btw). (Im not sure how Breeland would pan out here esp. missing half of TC and all offseason either . but he is def. a player)

If Rowe and J-Mac play significant # of snaps tomorrow it just might be about their immediate future..

Last edited:
Can Breeland cover man to man? Wasn’t impressed by his combine numbers. Didn’t follow his season last year.

Can Breeland cover man to man? Wasn’t impressed by his combine numbers. Didn’t follow his season last year.

so maybe its just laziness doing it to you..;)

here comprehensive analysis of 2015 . follow the lead for the rest
just promise you won't nag each time opponent scores its due to not signing Breeland!

Lets put some meat on this.

CAR 11M gtd was not about this year but for the 3yr contract. The structure of the deal was reportedly: Breeland was scheduled to count $3,833,333 against the 2018 salary cap, $9,833,333 in 2019 and $10,333,334 in 2020. He had agreed to an $8.5 million signing bonus (prorated).

More recently the KC offer “leaked“ 2 weeks ago:

Other teams recently working out Breeland are IND, ARI, CLE, BAL, NYJ. Most of them have significantly more cap than NE. But as CAR contract suggests Pats would have no problem to cover that. There is a lot of competition for him at the moment but also hesitation. BB probably sensed the hesitation and made a move to inquire in a possibly opportune moment.

If BB thinks Rowe and J-Mac are not able to take #2 CB as he wants . he will pay Breeland no problem. If the below is true (the source is most likely Butler's manager who certainly wants to look good) he offered Butler significantly bigger deal and Im not sure Butler is a better player on his own (i love Butler btw). (Im not sure how Breeland would pan out here esp. missing half of TC and all offseason either . but he is def. a player)

If Rowe and J-Mac play significant # of snaps tomorrow it just might be about their immediate future..

A couple of thoughts.

I'm guessing BB would have a problem paying Breeland 3/$24m/$11m cash in hand. If he didn't he would have offered it.

I think the KC deal is BS floated out by Breeland's camp.

It's important to note how well McCourty is playing. I feel that he's superior than Breeland based on his play last season (won't say anything for this season), but Breeland offers long-term upside for the CB2 position over the next 2-3 years if he signs and then re-signs later on. If McCourty is entrenched as a starter, then our secondary looks like Gilmore, McCourty, Dawson (he's stuck in the slot regardless). Is Breeland a necessity afterwards? Perhaps.

If we lose Breeland to NY I'd be disappointed you know they would outbid us

Seems normal.
Pockets 9.5 mill year 1
7 mill year 2
7.5 year 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back