PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman Suspension Appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The substance wasn't on the list, so apparently not.
It doesn't have to be on the list. It only has to be chemically similar or have biological effects similar to something that is on the list to be a banned substance. Says that right on the banned substances list.

anyone provide this "list" for ACTUAL PERUSAL?????????

BTW "It only has to be chemically similar or have biological effects similar to something that is on the list to be a banned substance. " is as about an insane "agreement" as I've ever seen in my lifetime. The players union actually agreed to THIS wording?

BTW "It only has to be chemically similar or have biological effects similar to something that is on the list to be a banned substance. " is as about an insane "agreement" as I've ever seen in my lifetime. The players union actually agreed to THIS wording?

Agreed. I work in pharmaceuticals. To get around intellectual property concerns, people will debate for MONTHS what constitutes “chemically similar”. I’m sure that same level of debate was not present in the Edelman case.

It doesn't have to be on the list. It only has to be chemically similar or have biological effects similar to something that is on the list to be a banned substance. Says that right on the banned substances list.
There are also provisions for causing natural testosterone levels to increase unnaturally. The man who chaired the appeal was a UMass professor (per 98.5). That seems fair enough. Whatever caused the positive test was on the up and up.

Pure and simple Edelman did it.

The list has already been posted in this thread at least once. You can also find a link to the list on the NFLPA website with some googling.

And yes, the NFLPA agreed to that language. Which is unsurprising because without language like that an anti-PED program is toothless because it is easy to work around specific substances by tweaking the molecule such that it’s not technically a named substance but does pretty much exactly the same thing that named substances do.

Also keep in mind that on this it’s not as simple as evil management wanting tests and saintly labor trying to stop tests. Within the union itself there’s a decent contingent that wants strict testing so they don’t have to (as much) face the choice of having to put that crap in their bodies or be at a competitive disadvantage. There may well have been some rank and file support for that broadening language.

Last edited:
you realize this policy is NOT 100% fool proof right? I had a client 20 years ago who came up dirty in a urine test...turned out the tester threw a couple of grams of cocaine in the test cannister after my client left ,resealed it and did the testing himself...twice. I had to provide documentation from the Syva corporation that made the testing machine showing that the metabolyte level in the urine was lethal, in fact enough to kill a horse.

My point is there is ALWAYS a human factor present with these "procedures" and given the enmity between the league and the Patriots the past decade, I put NOTHING past anyone involved, including any "independent" testers.

you realize this policy is NOT 100% fool proof right? I had a client 20 years ago who came up dirty in a urine test...turned out the tester threw a couple of grams of cocaine in the test cannister after my client left ,resealed it and did the testing himself...twice. I had to provide documentation from the Syva corporation that made the testing machine showing that the metabolyte level in the urine was lethal, in fact enough to kill a horse.

My point is there is ALWAYS a human factor present with these "procedures" and given the enmity between the league and the Patriots the past decade, I put NOTHING past anyone involved, including any "independent" testers.
It may sound a little nutty (or perfectly reasonable, depending on opinion), but hell no—I don’t feel 100% comfortable about the process.

Even if he did take a banned supplement or something, which is certainly possible, I don’t know how anyone can say with complete certainty that they aren’t at least mildly skeptical.

It may sound a little nutty (or perfectly reasonable, depending on opinion), but hell no—I don’t feel 100% comfortable about the process.

Even if he did take a banned supplement or something, which is certainly possible, I don’t know how anyone can say with complete certainty that they aren’t at least mildly skeptical.
Nothing is 100% fool proof, but they do take 2 samples and both must test positive by independent labs. Then it goes through the appeal process and reviewed by an independent panel. I'd say there's a very small chance it's wrong.

Nothing is 100% fool proof, but they do take 2 samples and both must test positive by independent labs. Then it goes through the appeal process and reviewed by an independent panel. I'd say there's a very small chance it's wrong.
I’ve seen some weird stuff and heard some even stranger rumors about the two “gates” that will always make me skeptical about Goodell. That said, I tend to believe that you’re right about it being Edelman’s fault, but I don’t know how anyone can say with a reasonable level of certainty, either.

The NFL league office isn't very cleaver. Look how they handled Ray Rice, the National Anthem, ignored clear science in"Deflategate".

I don't see how they fool several knowledgeable scientists who are holding the cards. If scientists had control of Deflategate it would have been laughed out of the initial hearing before it even got to review.

If he would have only had it in his wife’s name, the league wouldn’t find out

If he would have only had it in his wife’s name, the league wouldn’t find out
Oh no, the whole world would still find out. It’s just that they wouldn’t care.

Teabag gate, Fake memorabilia gate, HGH Gate. It doesn’t matter to anyone because “those Mannings seem like nice people,” whereas that Brady guy always says things that are obviously hidden jabs at his opponents, and he’s always got that smirk just waiting to come out.

...whereas that Brady guy always says things that are obviously hidden jabs at his opponents, and he’s always got that smirk just waiting to come out.

Not to mention the human sacrifices he and that Brazilian she-devil make and the truckloads of under the table cash Krafty Bob slips him. That rat bastid may have us fanboys in New England fooled but the rest of the football world isn't taken in. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes