PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye on target passing

It’s getting to the point the draft almost isn’t exciting for me. Each prospect being over analyzed has me worried for all of them and less enthused about whoever we select. Not that I want life to go by any faster than the warp speed pace at which it already travels, but I think I’m ready for the draft to get here and be over already. :):crying:

It’s getting to the point the draft almost isn’t exciting for me. Each prospect being over analyzed has me worried for all of them and less enthused about whoever we select. Not that I want life to go by any faster than the warp speed pace at which it already travels, but I think I’m ready for the draft to get here and be over already. :):crying:
I felt this, I watch the positions that I feel the Pats need and get my ranks based on my opinion and a few others. then I wait for the draft, once the draft hits I do a deep dive on our draft class. In years past I get fatigued to the point that any pick I am like eww this is bad and that is bad.

Don’t believe your lying eyes

WHo is Ryan mccrystal

In his 2 years at NC, PFF has Maye rated in the top 11% of all NCAA QB's during that time from a clean pocket. Of the top QB's only Williams ranks higher and only by 1%. 90th percentile vs 89th percentile.

On Redditt someone said:
"I went to The twitter account he sourced the data from to find out how "on-target rank" was calculated and they have a ton of buzzwordy made-up sounding stats. "Pass rushing total points" and "boom rate" and "deserved catch rate" are some of my favorites"

This Maye bashing is just downright silly, great job by Mayo and Wolf! I think we might actually get him!

Do not want this guy. He's Mac Jones disguised in baby blue

If he's the one left standing, trade back, collect picks. Let brisket drive the bus to a 2 win season so we pick 1 overall

If he's the one left standing, trade back, collect picks. Let brisket drive the bus to a 2 win season so we pick 1 overall
I really have no idea how you could compare Maye to Mac Jones. Not even on the same planet as prospects. Can you explain?

I really have no idea how you could compare Maye to Mac Jones. Not even on the same planet as prospects. Can you explain?
i see both as functional quarterbacks, if the circumstances surrounding them are ideal. but when pressed, both show an inability to process information... and Mac played a higher level of competition than NC did...

nothing is ever ideal... I see this inability to process the game in a fast/accurate manner as a deal breaker

the end result is going to be the same

Last edited:
"I went to The twitter account he sourced the data from to find out how "on-target rank" was calculated and they have a ton of buzzwordy made-up sounding stats. "Pass rushing total points" and "boom rate" and "deserved catch rate" are some of my favorites"
I've been worried about Maye's boom rate for months.

I'm not a fan of UNC athletics, so the "deserved catch rate" should be 0 afaic.
But if we end up with this kid, then he's our QB.

I'm no football scouting expert but this sounds a lot like subjective stats that don't translate to ****
It's not entirely objective. But I think it's a helluva lot better than "Big Time Throws" or other similar PFF nonsense that some people hang their hat on.

I highly doubt the number 2 or 3 rated QB in the whole draft class was one of the least accurate passers in CFB but I dunno maybe that's just me
Rated by who? The same people who said Zach Wilson, Justin Fields or Trey Lance were worthy of where they were taken? The same draftniks who had Bryce Young over CJ Stroud? I frequently find if I watch a player during games during the CFB season I often come away with a much different impression than watching a few cherry-picked snippets on Youtube, made-up subjective "stats" on PFF or forming opinions of the opinions of other draftniks.

I'm hardly an expert evaluator. But neither are the majority of the guys rating these players. As the saying goes: Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink at one time or another.

All these analysts are smart as fk before draft day. Then they are absent until just before draft day the next year when they become smart as fk again.

I wouldn't call Maye "Mac Jones in baby blue". Maye has a much stronger arm and Jones was more accurate. Maye's throwing consistency reminds me of Cam Newton's circa 2020. A beautiful, on target bomb. Followed by several bounce passes or wild overthrows.

But overall, I agree with you. I do not want Maye at all.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back