PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye on target passing

On Redditt someone said:
"I went to The twitter account he sourced the data from to find out how "on-target rank" was calculated and they have a ton of buzzwordy made-up sounding stats. "Pass rushing total points" and "boom rate" and "deserved catch rate" are some of my favorites"
And PFF's made-up garbage masquerading as stats are any better?

i see both as functional quarterbacks, if the circumstances surrounding them are ideal. but when pressed, both show an inability to process information... and Mac played a higher level of competition than NC did...

nothing is ever ideal... I see this inability to process the game in a fast/accurate manner as a deal breaker

the end result is going to be the same
My impression is that processing stuff is actually one of Maye's strengths. I think the inaccuracy is a concern

My impression is that processing stuff is actually one of Maye's strengths. I think the inaccuracy is a concern
Accuracy is part of processing, part of breaking down the play, deciding where to place the ball in a moments notice... Gunslinger works in college, most often. Turns into picks in the pros

i see both as functional quarterbacks, if the circumstances surrounding them are ideal. but when pressed, both show an inability to process information... and Mac played a higher level of competition than NC did...

nothing is ever ideal... I see this inability to process the game in a fast/accurate manner as a deal breaker

the end result is going to be the same
Definitely not Maye at all. Comparison doesn’t make sense. His offensive line was a disaster last year and he had to play under pressure constantly. His issues don’t have much to do with pressure, they’re more mechanical. He will just randomly miss badly or throw with with his upper body instead of torquing with his lower body which hurts his accuracy without much reason to do so. But he will also periodically escape and make incredible plays that Mac could never even dream of, and his arm strength and athleticism is out of Mac’s league.

Mac was very pro-ready coming out of the draft and mostly a finished product. It was just a matter of if he could get stronger and improve on his weaknesses over time. Maye has some mechanical problems that would highly benefit from time on the bench, but his physical traits are top notch.

The two QBs really are not comparable at all as prospects.

Is it though? I mean a guy can read the defense, shift guys around, have exactly the right read, and just miss the throw
Maye did an excellent job at the above. Saw him frequently move the OL to counter oncoming pressure. But then got pressured anyway because his OL sucked so he had to scramble.

Definitely not Maye at all. Comparison doesn’t make sense. His offensive line was a disaster last year and he had to play under pressure constantly. His issues don’t have much to do with pressure, they’re more mechanical. He will just randomly miss badly or throw with with his upper body instead of torquing with his lower body which hurts his accuracy without much reason to do so. But he will also periodically escape and make incredible plays that Mac could never even dream of, and his arm strength and athleticism is out of Mac’s league.

Mac was very pro-ready coming out of the draft and mostly a finished product. It was just a matter of if he could get stronger and improve on his weaknesses over time. Maye has some mechanical problems that would highly benefit from time on the bench, but his physical traits are top notch.

The two QBs really are not comparable at all as prospects.
i disagree.

I see the same stupid decisions being made on the field. Granted I have seen much less of Drake Maye. Sure his highlights look great. They always do. But the lowights? the throws? d%#*!@t man, some of those decisions are down right Mac Jones in the NFL levels of incompetent. That is not what I want to spend the 3rd pick on.

I basically shut my mouth three years ago about Mac. I shouldn't have. So not doing it this time around.

I do not know who we should take. I do not have an answer for that question. I do believe we should not take Drake Maye. If I am wrong, serve me up a plate of crow, and i will say I am glad I was wrong.

but as of today, I don't think I am.

It's fun to give our opinions and watch film and ****, but as long as we remember that in the grand scheme our opinions don't mean anything. Inevitably what is going to happen is whoever the Vikings draft will probably be top 3 rookies and people that liked that guy will be like see I told you.

I did not like Mac as a prospect at all, a big trait for me is velocity on the ball and Mac had a relatively weak arm. I fear that Jayden will have similar issues trying to target the middle of the field, throwing in **** weather. That is another thing that I think makes rankings so varied is that some things are more important to people than others.

Once a player is drafted, pre draft ranks are out the window because there are so many factors that go into success and failure. Coaching, imo, is the biggest factor. Things like environment, personal life, personality will all make significant impacts. I have been fairly successful on my QB evaluations over the years, not clout chasing at all because I am a rando and noone cares.

i disagree.

I see the same stupid decisions being made on the field. Granted I have seen much less of Drake Maye. Sure his highlights look great. They always do. But the lowights? the throws? d%#*!@t man, some of those decisions are down right Mac Jones in the NFL levels of incompetent. That is not what I want to spend the 3rd pick on.

I basically shut my mouth three years ago about Mac. I shouldn't have. So not doing it this time around.

I do not know who we should take. I do not have an answer for that question. I do believe we should not take Drake Maye. If I am wrong, serve me up a plate of crow, and i will say I am glad I was wrong.

but as of today, I don't think I am.
Hey man, agree to disagree. I know he makes mistakes but as far as I see they’re usually just missed throws due to mechanical failures, not misreading the defense or making the wrong throw or getting scared and throwing a duck… etc. Not to say he didn’t make a bonehead mistake ever, but all these guys did that sometimes, even Caleb.

But you certainly can have your opinion and we will see what happens, whether the Pats take him or someone else. You could be right, who the hell knows?

And PFF's made-up garbage masquerading as stats are any better?
I absolutely believe so, I look at their stats and then look at, say top 10 QB rankings elsewhere and PFF seems to do a good job where the stats equate to the overall rankings.
Considering how much they get paid on the commercial side by agents, the NFL teams etc. for the more advanced data I'd say they have the money behind them to do a pretty good job. You just need to interpret the data. I'd take PFF over a random account on the" website formerly known as twitter".
Like all stats it's how you use them but if all 32 NFL teams will pay thousands for data from them I'd say it has some value. Of course, what we get is less valuable than what they get but made-up garbage seems pretty extreme.

I’m sure Jordan Richards was very smart football-wise…but he just wasn’t physically up to the task. I’m not saying Maye won’t fix his mechanics but thats easier to do than Richards magically finding another gear.

I’m sure Jordan Richards was very smart football-wise…but he just wasn’t physically up to the task. I’m not saying Maye won’t fix his mechanics but thats easier to do than Richards magically finding another gear.
Jordan Richard’s was an incredibly frustrating player.
Bill raved about him after he was picked like he found A Harrison Dawkins kind of playerx
But he was just another Gus Scott reach and he was clearly overmatched on every snap yet was allowed on the field during a frickin superbowl.
I swear he is the whole reason we lost that game,
We would of been better off getting a wr to play DB that game.

The same place that has those numbers also has this for Maye

2140e522db9d145c9d6b04b9444c9e87.png

So is he not good throwing down field or is 1 of his strengths accuracy downfield? Make up your mind.

These draftnik places you need to take their analysis with a fat sack of salt. It's always funny reading their write ups for players because you'll often see **** like

Strengths: Excellent acceleration and incredible top speed, capable of outrunning any corner

Weakness: creating separation from defenders

The same place that has those numbers also has this for Maye

2140e522db9d145c9d6b04b9444c9e87.png

So is he not good throwing down field or is 1 of his strengths accuracy downfield? Make up your mind.

These draftnik places you need to take their analysis with a fat sack of salt. It's always funny reading their write ups for players because you'll often see **** like

Strengths: Excellent acceleration and incredible top speed, capable of outrunning any corner

Weakness: creating separation from defenders
Here is another problem with Media evaluators they pick a certain number of games, so it depends on which games you watch. It is very frustrating and that is one reason that it is important to watch for yourself rather than strictly listening to "experts"

They all have warts. The class is overrated.

Williams has the physical gifts (other than size), but does he have the attitude?
Maye has the arm and athleticism, but does he have the mechanics' discipline?
Daniels has a lot of arm and leg talent, but will he survive?
McCarthy has hype. Whoopee!

If the Pats traded down, or got Alt, then traded back up and got Penix Jr, I'd be dancing happy. I don't see him as any less risky than the others.

Here is another problem with Media evaluators they pick a certain number of games, so it depends on which games you watch. It is very frustrating and that is one reason that it is important to watch for yourself rather than strictly listening to "experts"
They also get more clicks and mentions by being contrarian. Merrill Hodge is the click-king right now.

They all have warts. The class is overrated.

Williams has the physical gifts (other than size), but does he have the attitude?
Maye has the arm and athleticism, but does he have the mechanics' discipline?
Daniels has a lot of arm and leg talent, but will he survive?
McCarthy has hype. Whoopee!

If the Pats traded down, or got Alt, then traded back up and got Penix Jr, I'd be dancing happy. I don't see him as any less risky than the others.
I like this move!!!

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back