Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who Has Been More Crucial to the Pats' Success?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be fair Bob. Those defenses were just what the doctor ordered for a rookie QB. SB 36 was an awesome defensive effort against the greatest show on turf.

In 2001, here's the offensive ranks of the three teams the Patriots played in the playoffs:

Oak: #4 scoring, #7 yards, 24.9 ppg - NE held Oak to 13
Pit: #7 scoring, #3 yards, 22.0 ppg - NE held Pit to 17
StL: #1 scoring, #1 yards, 31.4 ppg - NE held StL to 17

Those three teams averaged 26.1 points a game, and NE held them to an average of 15.7 points a game. That 2001 defense was incredible.

It sucks not having talent and the defense and I think there are certainly things Bill could have done differently over the last few years, but it is still just the byproduct of keeping a team successful for a long period of time. The 'Greatest show on turf' fizzled out, the 2000 era Ravens were short lived, the Manning Colts only had a few seasons where they actually built a good defense, Seattle, Broncos, etc etc. Only BB has been able to sustain the highest level of competition.

On that point, with likely one 3 or 4 more years of Brady and maybe Belichick, should they abandon the future and go for broke for the final run? I want to get the most of this run. Maximize our chances NOW, while we still have Brady and Belichick, then trying to set things up nicely for McDaniels or who ever eventually takes over. I don't care if they miss the playoffs for a decade after. Rewrite the record books for as long as possible with the two Goats and let the next guy figure out the next step.

I did lose a lot of respect for Belichick after this Super Bowl, and definitely don’t view him as I did before.

His ego got in the way, by benching butler he hurt the team. He hurt every player that put in the work this season and sacrificed their body.

He did not do what was best for the team. Bench him for a series or quarter, but when we saw that we were getting torched and missing tackles Butler should of immediately been in the game. At the very, very least he should of been in to start the 2nd half.

Anyone who'd phrase an Opening Post the way that this guy did is badly damaged.

The idea that any'f us give a rat's ass what he thinks is amusing, though. :rolleyes:

I did lose a lot of respect for Belichick after this Super Bowl, and definitely don’t view him as I did before.

His ego got in the way, by benching butler he hurt the team. He hurt every player that put in the work this season and sacrificed their body.

He did not do what was best for the team. Bench him for a series or quarter, but when we saw that we were getting torched and missing tackles Butler should of immediately been in the game. At the very, very least he should of been in to start the 2nd half.

Are you Tony Mazz or Mike Felger?

It sucks not having talent and the defense and I think there are certainly things Bill could have done differently over the last few years, but it is still just the byproduct of keeping a team successful for a long period of time. The 'Greatest show on turf' fizzled out, the 2000 era Ravens were short lived, the Manning Colts only had a few seasons where they actually built a good defense, Seattle, Broncos, etc etc. Only BB has been able to sustain the highest level of competition.

On that point, with likely one 3 or 4 more years of Brady and maybe Belichick, should they abandon the future and go for broke for the final run? I want to get the most of this run. Maximize our chances NOW, while we still have Brady and Belichick, then trying to set things up nicely for McDaniels or who ever eventually takes over. I don't care if they miss the playoffs for a decade after. Rewrite the record books for as long as possible with the two Goats and let the next guy figure out the next step.

You are aware we just won 2SBs in the last 4 years, correct?

Both Super Bowls included big plays by the D to help win those games. Both games featured a D bailing out Brady's inconsistent play earlier in the games, yes. It's disappointing they couldn't get a stop on one of those 4th and 1s, but being robbed for 7 points in the end zone didn't help their cause either.

It's comments like yours, where I almost wish there was no avacado ice cream or Facebook movies, where maybe the JimmyG Era would have made sense.

A Super Bowl defensive move a genius should have made:

Call a TO when Foles lined up behind the tackle on the trick play TD at the end of the first half. They had one left.

A Super Bowl defensive move a genius should have made:

Call a TO when Foles lined up behind the tackle on the trick play TD at the end of the first half. They had one left.
I would think they were coached in case of trick plays near the goal line and a player or two had their heads up their asses.

I think BB is a great coach but I think he looks better because the vast majority of NFL coaches are complete and utter idiots. Brady is the GOAT and looks great because he is the GOAT and I don't think anyone is even close. Really don't.

I would think they were coached in case of trick plays near the goal line and a player or two had their heads up their asses.

Belichick has run down the sideline to call timeouts before so I think we have to include him in that group. Another one was in the SB vs the Seahawks, the D could have tackled all the receivers at the LOS to force a FG because there were only six seconds left in the half when Wilson threw a TD. The half can't end on a defensive penalty and there was no time to do anything but kick the FG.

You could say there was still a chance to get a turnover vs the Seahawks but there was no excuse vs the Eagles IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back