PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you think the NFL is out to get Cam Newton too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Panthers fan just about sums up Gary Kubiak and his stance on the hits...

R0CKnR0LLA said:
"I didn't see anything"

congratulations, you are now qualified to be a referee in the NFL

just a FYI in case anyone was wondering...I do not possess the capability to engage in "micro aggression"....

I think they genuinely thought he did it, and when you plant a flag publicly you end up with a certain stickiness in your position. It was absurd to think a trillion dollar enterprise was ever going to come out and say sorry, we were wrong, so they kept doubling down. The Wells Report hitjob, etc. etc.
Possibly, but they had to realize what a farce the debacle was at some point and had several opportunities to easily save face. That is why I think the ultimate motivator was ego and jealousy.

Some comments on the comments:

1. I read all 8 pages of this thread, since I didn't watch a single second of whatever the NFL puts on that doesn't include the NE Patriots. I was was stuck in the car today and this whole lack of integrity thing concerning the hits on Newton was a big topic.

2. The league has been selectively enforcing its rules since Goodell's been commissioner. In the couple of clips that were put on this thread, I can categorically state that the player in both cases broke not just one cardinal rule, but THREE.

a. first the helmet to helmet was pretty obvious, and given the number of times we've seen flags thrown for merely TOUCHING the opposing QB's helmet, what happened to Newton seemed pretty egregious. That being said, I'd like to see the touching the QB's helmet become limited to the kinds of hits I saw on these clips.

b. Now to the more serious crap. On both occasions the player LAUNCHED himself into Newton, and that is specifically against the rules. THIS infraction should be STRICTLY enforced since it can be just as dangerous to the defender as is it is to the offensive player.

c. Lastly (if that's not enough) on both occasions the defender used the TOP of his helmet as a weapon. Even way back in my day, when you could legally hit a QB within 2 steps AFTER he threw the ball, this kind of hit would have been called an illegal spear. This is ANOTHER call that should be strictly enforced and obviously was not.

3. As to the game, this sounded like just another game like Denver had so many of last season. It was a game that the other team SHOULD have won, and would have if not for some calls, non-calls, gifts from the opponents and lucky bounces. They had like 6 of these last season, maybe more.

4. While I'm not exactly thinking that the games are rigged, the NFL is making it very hard for the public not to think it.

5. As to whether Newton should have been sat down after a hit, I have very mixed thoughts on it. Because one of my nightmares is watching Tom Brady jumping up from a hard hit, and getting benched by an over reactive (or rigged, if that's your thought) official. Again SELECTIVE officiating.

6. BTW- Just from the highlights I've seen, I'm never going to worry about the Panthers because they play a HS offense that is going to get Newton killed before his time (think McNair). Good defenses will always be able to stop this offense in the long run. (think the Tebow Denver offense)

7. Please don't dismiss Semian after what has been reported as a rocky start, in a winning effort. He was playing a good defense, one of the best in the league, and it WAS his first start. He will be better. I don't know what it looked like, but I wouldn't be surprised if what JG gives us on Sunday doesn't look like the same. Reality Check: It is what first time starters USUALLY look like against good defenses.

You really didn't think when Denver was down 17-7 they going to lose. goodell* wouldn't have it. Have to have Denver win as many games as possible to get home field and stay ahead of Pats especially with Brady out. That Hit on Newton's helmet was off setted with an intentinal grounding call. That would have given Panthers a chip shop for a win. Time out when he nailed FG then he missed it after TO. Integrity.

just a FYI in case anyone was wondering...I do not possess the capability to engage in "micro aggression"....
I can, because unfortunately, "micro aggression" is all I am capable at this point. ;)

Cam has really grown on me over the past few years. He's a great QB and by all indications off the field, he's a great person. So he's younger and shows that he's having fun by doing the dancing. So what? If you don't like it, shut him up. I always found it more fun playing against those kinds of guys than the guys who kept their mouths shut.

I think Cam brings a fun energy to the game. Love watching him play

I think hes way over the top and boisterous, but as you said that is just a younger personality trait and its how he chooses to express himself. His teammates seems to really like him, he plays the game at a high level and he was as as tough as nails in that game against the Broncos last night

He was a young adolescent coming into the league, but now hes maturing and is learning how to handle his emotions better as evidenced by his post game press conference.. a total 180 from how he handled the super bowl loss

I like Cam, I think he's fun to watch and good for the game.. and hes a mans man at QB, last night proved that. I wish he would tone it down on his very outgoing personality, but that is what makes him Cam Newton so its hard to ask a tiger to remove its stripes

I read through the thread and feel like a lot of you guys gave really good answers. There were some posts throughout pages 5-7 that got pretty heated, but sport fans are heated d%#*!@t!

I read through the thread and feel like a lot of you guys gave really good answers. There were some posts throughout pages 5-7 that got pretty heated, but sport fans are heated d%#*!@t!

This thread has been so oppressive that I have an overwhelming desire to kneel during a playing of the national anthem.

It was not the "he should it thrown farther" that was insightful but his short explanation how the Broncos are keeping the Panthers in base defense to help Siemian seeing things. You can hate Manning for all he is but he gave more context to what was happening on the field in a few minutes than the entire CBS crew does in a full game.

I am not sure I could stomach hearing him half a year every Sunday but I love hearing that kind of insight no matter who it comes from.

Lucked, you can listen to Goober or hang a disco ball in your living room and listen to the Bee Gees for all I care but just don't expect me to join the party. :D

Seriously though I just can't stand listening to him.

Lucked, you can listen to Goober or hang a disco ball in your living room and listen to the Bee Gees for all I care but just don't expect me to join the party. :D

Seriously though I just can't stand listening to him.

yeah...all I hear when I see his lips move is this------>... "raping rapist rape HGH butt stick ball sack on face raping sexual assaulting cheating shameless product whore...."

As to the game, this sounded like just another game like Denver had so many of last season. It was a game that the other team SHOULD have won, and would have if not for some calls, non-calls, gifts from the opponents and lucky bounces. They had like 6 of these last season, maybe more.

Exactly Ken.

Everytime I say Denver was lucky to even get into the playoffs I hear people bringing up their amazing defense and whatnot but somehow people forget that the only reason they even got there were things like the Browns not kicking a game winning FG in overtime even though they are in range, Patriots dropping punts, Chiefs choking up the ball in their own redzone a few seconds before OT.. and many more..

I have no opinion on whether there is any actual bias by the NFL toward Cam Newton, but based on your post I would assume that you feel this notion is foolish, yet this is exactly what they have been doing to Brady since this whole mess began. I still can't figure out for the life of me why the NFL goes after it's most marketable, poster-quality golden boy in years, in essence costing themselves millions in the missed marketing opportunities, publicity circus and legal fees they have had to pay out up to this point. The only thing I can come up with is jealousy and ego of other owners and franchises.

Yes, I do think that. My opinion that it comes down to the unique combination of Newton's playing style and physical attributes. He is hard to ref, that's the honest truth. Also, yeah, Brady got hassled a bit outside of the field but gets the respect on it. I think Newton gets it too, but his unique playing style really makes it tough to referee him. Also, I do think that Panthers fans overreacted majorly. Two of the four hits came outside of the pocket, and there was at least one incidental helmet contact. One guy really blew him up though, but that was actually whistled. Now they - Panthers fans - are tweeting everybody and emailing every sports stations. They obviously have a bit of sport-PTSD still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes