PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dez?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Webb's pre-draft measurements were 5092/202.
White's pre-draft measurements were 5091/205.

White has developed fairly well.
He has, but not as a between-the-tackles runner. When you play the Faulk/Woodhead/Vereen/White role, you can afford to be smaller.

I dunno, like I said, it's just perception. We're all going to find out soon enough whether he can do it or not.

While I am not a huge Dez fan, my understanding is there is an advantage to waiting until after the first game to sign a veteran. I put up his receiving numbers a few days back. He did pretty well with a mediocre, at best, qb, and probably being the major receiving target of the defense every game. At 6-7 million he is definitely not worth it. At a non-guaranteed contract at closer to vet minimum, prove it contract, you start thinking boy, he and gronk and edelmen, and Hogan, would sure give some teams a tough group to cover.

What intrigues me is nothing is more powerful in sports with than a gifted athlete with a chip on his shoulder.
Dez has a boulder.
He seems motivated as ever.

Dez was a gifted athlete. He doesn't appear to be all that anymore.

If he'd started his career with a chip on his shoulder as motivation to work at his craft ...

Too late now.

He has, but not as a between-the-tackles runner. When you play the Faulk/Woodhead/Vereen/White role, you can afford to be smaller.

I dunno, like I said, it's just perception. We're all going to find out soon enough whether he can do it or not.

Woodhead was pretty good between the tackles.
MJD measured 5066/207.

I'm not saying that Webb is the next MJD or Woodhead, but I'm simply not willing to pre-emptively pigeonhole the guy as incapable simply because he's not 6'1"/220+.

We drafted a RB in the first round of the draft. Our need to add a running back to the roster is greatly exaggerated in my opinion.

Woodhead was pretty good between the tackles.
MJD measured 5066/207.

I'm not saying that Webb is the next MJD or Woodhead, but I'm simply not willing to pre-emptively pigeonhole the guy as incapable simply because he's not 6'1"/220+.

I agree with you. I'm just saying it's my perception, and possibly the perception of others, like the poster that questioned the 'upside'. It's up to him to show what he can do.

Ideally, this is a moot conversation, because Sony Michel would (hopefully) be healthy and your feature back, but I don't know if anyone is really sure as to his status.

What is it about Webb that you think limits his upside?

I guess I meant someone with more NFL experience. Didn’t he struggle vs carolina in the preseason?

What intrigues me is nothing is more powerful in sports with than a gifted athlete with a chip on his shoulder.
Dez has a boulder.
He seems motivated as ever.
That's all talk.

Personally I think the motivation comes from him wanting to get paid, and I don't think we'll be the ones to pay him.

He also seems to have a polarizing personality, another thing we stay away from more often than not.

I think we'll pass on him and wait for the Detroit fire sale that should be happening shortly after we play them in Week 3.

I guess I meant someone with more NFL experience. Didn’t he struggle vs carolina in the preseason?

IIRC, he wasn't the only player currently on the Pats roster (somewhere) to have struggled against Carolina in the pre-season. In any case, he has no less NFL experience than Sony Michel.

I was anti-Dez in the summer. However, it’s clear that some of his decline can be attributed to Romo -> Dak.

Brady’s backshoulder throws to Gronk are absolute money. I’m not sold on Dez on other plays/routes but that part of his game would definitely translate here.

I too was anti-Dez and after watching a bunch of Dez film covering his last two seasons I think you're right on the money.

To me, it's not a question of separation because although Dez doesn't get great separation he has a large catch radius and knows how to use it against defenders. He does a decent job in contested ball situations imo. The question is can he get on the same page as Brady to use that catch radius to his advantage? I don't think he ever got on the same page as Dak. Too many times it seemed Dak was thinking one thing and Dez another. Tough to tell who was right or wrong but it didn't get much better throughout their time together.

In short I think he could be a decent red zone target but close to useless between the twenties. If we're talking about signing for depth he's not the guy imo. If we're talking about signing someone to improve the receiving corp he's four or five years past his prime.

Side note: He has poor ball security issues. He does tuck it away when he sees contact coming but often runs with it untucked and has had it knocked out of his hands a few times.

There is nothing new about this. If he's willing to sign a cheap (anything less than $2 million) one year deal, there is no reason not to do this. He may not be as good as he was before but he's probably better than Patterson still. If he can't perform on the field then Tom just doesn't throw to him and he becomes a decoy.

This is all about money really. Is he willing to sign cheap? If not he ain't coming.

I think Dez is like a girl the more you ignore them the more they get desperate and turned on and throw themselves at you.

Dez is getting close to vet minimum money Belichick is playing this like a true pimp.
I think dez is like the girl who is so ugly you ignore her.

Has to be more to this picture than meets the eye, this guy had so much talent, now he seems to be on the edge of his flat earth...

There is nothing new about this. If he's willing to sign a cheap (anything less than $2 million) one year deal, there is no reason not to do this. He may not be as good as he was before but he's probably better than Patterson still. If he can't perform on the field then Tom just doesn't throw to him and he becomes a decoy.

This is all about money really. Is he willing to sign cheap? If not he ain't coming.
It’s not. It’s about
A) the guy is too dumb to learn the offense
B) his skills have clearly declined
C) his ego is out if control and he will expect to be the star, especially since he is trying to earn a big contract. A and b keep him on the bench and he *****es and whines and becomes a distraction.
D) he won’t be her to win he will be here for dez
E) he is an off the field train wreck to the point the cowboys had to assign dezsitters to make sure he didn’t get into trouble

It’s not about money at all. It’s about this guy brings more bad than good, even if he came here for free.

Dez=cancer on the team. No thanks

The fact that the Dez to NE speculation is rooted from social media means it will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft