PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dez?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has trouble separating in his routes, though I'll note that advanced stats suggest he was no worse than guys like Julio Jones or Emmanuel Sanders (and better than DeAndre Hopkins and Mike Evans, among others) at his average yards of separation per route run. Those stats need to be taken with a grain of salt, though, and he doesn't pass the eye test anymore. I think he's probably no better than Kenny Britt at this point, and they kicked his butt to the curb.

Personally I would be more interested in them resigning Britt when he is fully healthy. They invested time into him, showed uncommon patience in the first few weeks of camp and supposedly offered him a contract extension in the preseason.

I was anti-Dez in the summer. However, it’s clear that some of his decline can be attributed to Romo -> Dak.

Brady’s backshoulder throws to Gronk are absolute money. I’m not sold on Dez on other plays/routes but that part of his game would definitely translate here.

I’d much rather get a replacement for Hill, if needed

Though I know he isn't talking about Dez Bryant, Zo has repeatedly stated that he feels a move for a pro bowl-caliber receiver is in the works. Take that for whatever it's worth (or isn't), but he's remained adamant about it even on today's program.
img_7594.jpg
?

I wouldn’t mind signing him for vet minimum and giving him a shot.

Doubt it happens though.

How does a receiver who is on the downside of his career and is notorious for poor route running, help us? Think Chad Johnsons stint here and you will be in the ball park.

Big difference between him and chad is with a vet minimum there is no risk. Release him if it doesn’t work out. The guy wants to play badly and should be motivated.

He can't be any worse than the secondary WRs we have now.

Pats need a goal line back. Would Forte and or Murray come out of retirement?

I’d like them to sign Dez but I think it’s too late for that. It’s too difficult learning this offense at this point.

He should’ve signed with the Ravens when he had the chance. They would’ve been a good fit for him as he could’ve taken the Anquan Boldin role catching the back shoulder throws. That’s all Flacco can do.

Last edited:
Guys here are being extremely harsh on Dez... Have you watched him at all or just repeating stuff? Cause I can't agree with some stuff written here AT ALL.

He is not BAD at separating. Doesn't have the speed (though he was never blazing fast), but can still shake off the defenders with good cuts, a really good release... His "Poor Route Running" is something i can't confirm or deny cause I don't know the Cowboys schemes, but I know that has been said multiple times already (and, based on research, he was working on it), without ever putting some blame on Jason Garret's juvenile offense

Moreover, to think that a Guy that last year posted 800+ yards and was "trash" is on the same level of Kenny Britt (who had ONE year of 800+ season in all his NFL Career) is nuts...

Based on what I have seen, different Sample sizes for players and all, is that, on pure technical details, athletic measurements and past history (which are more facts than using other players as comparison, for that matter) he would be our best WR (not counting Edelman).

It's true, however, that I don't know if he can learn the system... I do know that the staff could simplify it, starting him on selected personnell grouping and routes, so this argument is also weak-sauce to me.

Still, I don't think he will be signed here simply cause his a walking loud-mouth headache, not because he sucks this much. I would be on board with him here, provided he danced according to our music or until I am proven wrong

Still, I don't think he will be signed here simply cause his a walking loud-mouth headache, not because he sucks this much. I would be on board with him here, provided he danced according to our music or until I am proven wrong

Then why is he still a FA ?

Look you can be the contrarian about Dez having declined physically all you want but there are a ****ton of teams in need of difference makers on offense. If he still was anywhere close to "good" he would have been on a team already. Money is no argument if a player like him is still himself.

Personally I would be more interested in them resigning Britt when he is fully healthy. They invested time into him, showed uncommon patience in the first few weeks of camp and supposedly offered him a contract extension in the preseason.
That's a good point. Both he and Jordan Matthews were released primarily because they weren't going to be fully healthy until around October. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see either or both resigned at that time.

Either makes more sense than trying to add someone outside the organization at this late date. Just look at the difference some familiarity with the system had done for Dorsett, Resigning Matthews or Britt makes sense if only because BOTH have at least learned the "language" and have SOME familiarity.

This would be typical of Bill to have some hush hush, wink, nod agreement with those guys that when they are healthy they will give the Pats first shot at bringing them back.

Though I know he isn't talking about Dez Bryant, Zo has repeatedly stated that he feels a move for a pro bowl-caliber receiver is in the works. Take that for whatever it's worth (or isn't), but he's remained adamant about it even on today's program.

I think Zo fell off the wagon just before the broadcast of the first pre-season game.

He has trouble separating in his routes, though I'll note that advanced stats suggest he was no worse than guys like Julio Jones or Emmanuel Sanders (and better than DeAndre Hopkins and Mike Evans, among others) at his average yards of separation per route run. Those stats need to be taken with a grain of salt, though, and he doesn't pass the eye test anymore. I think he's probably no better than Kenny Britt at this point, and they kicked his butt to the curb.

"... kicked his butt to the curb" might be a little strong. They way I heard it, Kraft gave Britt a motorized wheelchair, a full-charged battery, and a map to where the Logan shuttle-bus picks up passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back