PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty: "I wouldn't mind........"

You didn't see one positive trait in Cam that you'd like to see in a rookie QB? I saw many. Great teammate. Good leader. Handles the media well. Works hard. Very competitive.

Who else would you want? Winston? JG?

What do you want to do? Bring in a cast off vet QB. Draft a QB?

I hope they draft a QB and sign a relatively cheap veteran. Cam would be perfect.

JG - too expensive, seemingly injury prone and imo is not the guy or a top fifteen QB.

Winston - relatively cheap and is a better QB than Cam but not a better mentor.

Watson - very very expensive. No way I'd want to trade a boat load of picks.

Anyway the idea is not as bad as you make it out to be.

Ring6 would rather lose 16 games than win 7 with an outspoken black QB. Notice how he refers to him as a “slug” multiple times. Typical dehumanizing behavior of a bitter old loser.

I stopped reading after the first sentence. I will take anyone with the ability to throw a football over Cam. Period.
Well then that's silly. Cam comes extremely cheap whether you like it or not. Watson will likely cost the better part of our next 2 drafts. Stidham is worse, I don't even want to hear any arguments to the contrary, he is dogshit. Jimmy G is made of glass and won't stay on the field so no point in even making a talent comparison. Someone like Brissett is now needed on the Colts but even if he wasn't, he's roughly the same type of player as Cam and is very mediocre and he costs more.

At this point it's looking like it's going to be

1. draft a guy.
2. Overpay in a trade for Jimmy G who will likely get injured and this team would be the worst he's ever played on.
3. End any thoughts of drafting in the near future to trade for Watson.
4. Roll with Cam.

And of these options, 1 and 4 are the most realistic. However, those are not mutually exclusive options either.

I can't stress this enough, Cam isn't good, but the team overall isn't good and there isn't a great viable alternative. It's easy to complain about what you do have. But you need a real second option and those don't exist right now.

I guess it all depends if Bill feels that cam newtons performance was due to the talent around him or his shoulder is shot.

It can be a combination of both though. Clearly bill is going to go look for an upgrade. But if ones not there I wouldn't be surprised if Cam is back.

Draft a guy, bring cam back and improve the roster in free agency/the draft

Why Devin? why?

I wouldn't mind Cam back either. Imagine a guy like Cam mentoring Mac Jones. I sincerely think that would give Jones a great start to his career.
So you want a washed up bum mentoring your next "franchise quarterback"? What on Earth do you think any rookie quarterback is going to learn from a guy who can't throw a football anymore? Holy sh*t dude what a horrible take.

By the way if McCourty really believes that nonsense then he has no business being a "team captain." It's time to dump him and his ridiculous salary anyway.

So you want a washed up bum mentoring your next "franchise quarterback"? What on Earth do you think any rookie quarterback is going to learn from a guy who can't throw a football anymore? Holy sh*t dude what a horrible take.

Holy shyt the crack Spanker partially read my post and replied to me.

I posted why. Read it and come back with a counter point or STFU.

This forum is funny. Last year, there were a ton of excuses made about Brady's pretty mediocre season (for him) because of his lack of weapons.

This season, Cam had even less to work with once Edelman went down yet fans think he's the sole reason the offense was garbage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Newton cheerleader and I'd MUCH rather see a Watson or even Stafford, but we learned from 2019 that our offense is going nowhere if we have nobody to throw to. Matt Cassel won 11 games with Moss and Welker.

Personally, I'd take a Newton with some amazing receivers than a Watson with this group of clowns. Ideally we'd have Watson AND star receivers but that's probably not happening. Watson in general probably isn't happening so I'm rambling

I can't think
Well said.

Look I read your garbage about supposed leadership, etc. Leadership starts on the field where it counts most. Newton can't play quarterback in the NFL anymore. Yet you can't think of another one that you would rather have mentor your next franchise quarterback. That's pathetic. If Belichick brings Newton back next season then it'll be his 8th worst decision ever. Behind squeezing out Brady, benching Butler, Spygate, signing Newton 1.0, deferring to the Jets in OT, rugby KO, and drafting Jordan Richards.

Well said.

Look I read your garbage about supposed leadership, etc. Leadership starts on the field where it counts most. Newton can't play quarterback in the NFL anymore. Yet you can't think of another one that you would rather have mentor your next franchise quarterback. That's pathetic. If Belichick brings Newton back next season then it'll be his 8th worst decision ever. Behind squeezing out Brady, benching Butler, Spygate, signing Newton 1.0, deferring to the Jets in OT, rugby KO, and drafting Jordan Richards.

You read "my garbage" and proposed no alternatives. What a crackspanking reply.

FearNo.1 is actually Cam trying to explain why everyone else has caused him being the worst starting QB the NFL has seen since the merger
Cam sucks but this guy has a bone to pick...
258A963C-4AC7-422D-BF03-B8064BCA94BE.jpeg

You didn't see one positive trait in Cam that you'd like to see in a rookie QB? I saw many. Great teammate. Good leader. Handles the media well. Works hard. Very competitive.

I hope they draft a QB and sign a relatively cheap veteran. Cam would be perfect.

JG - too expensive, seemingly injury prone and imo is not the guy or a top fifteen QB.

You are reaching. Teammates like him that’s all you got and watching a guy who has no clue how to play QB negates it.
I want to start a QB who can play QB I do not want to have the worst QB in the nfl and then bring him back another year older and beaten up.
I want a qb who can win football games.
Anyone you named and as many as 40 or 50 other qbs would be better. And yes I would pay more for an injury prone guy that I can win with. I would pay a kings ransom for a good qb if it’s my only choice.
You simply don’t take a guy who stinks at his job and have him mentor someone because he’s a nice guy.
The idea is about the worst idea anyone could ever have.

Last edited:

Actually, Winston might not be a bad choice. Apparently before last season he got Lasik surgery and now can actually see. He could always throw but maybe with a new opportunity and better eyesight he will cut down on the interceptions

This forum is funny. Last year, there were a ton of excuses made about Brady's pretty mediocre season (for him) because of his lack of weapons.

This season, Cam had even less to work with once Edelman went down yet fans think he's the sole reason the offense was garbage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Newton cheerleader and I'd MUCH rather see a Watson or even Stafford, but we learned from 2019 that our offense is going nowhere if we have nobody to throw to. Matt Cassel won 11 games with Moss and Welker.

Personally, I'd take a Newton with some amazing receivers than a Watson with this group of clowns. Ideally we'd have Watson AND star receivers but that's probably not happening. Watson in general probably isn't happening so I'm rambling
Is it possible for you to understand that qb play can be evaluated by the way the QB plays? Brady played well in the first half of last season and demonstrably was not the same guy during the second half while skipping most practices and reportedly having a severe elbow injury.
You can look at the same guy with the season and see his play is different.
Newton stunk from day 1. You can’t blame open receivers for being bad weapons when he never sees them, throws too late, or bounces the ball. Yes better receivers can create more opportunities big newton had plenty of opportunities and wasn’t losing games because he threw good passes that were dropped.

Actually, Winston might not be a bad choice. Apparently before last season he got Lasik surgery and now can actually see. He could always throw but maybe with a new opportunity and better eyesight he will cut down on the interceptions
Can’t read a defense. Got beaten out by tayson hill. Not a starting caliber qb.

You read "my garbage" and proposed no alternatives. What a crackspanking reply.
Now I'm responsible for who's the quarterback? Fine.

1. Brady would still be the quarterback. He was much better than any other option heading into the 2020 season. Money/cap it could have worked too. There would have had to have been some necessary roster cuts... starting with both McCourtys which would have opened up cap space and the secondary is deep enough otherwise.

2. I wanted the team to draft Lamar Jackson in 2018 and that they passed on him was only made worse with the selection of Michel. I don't buy they needed Michel for the SB 53 victory either. Another RB could have replicated his value.

3. Absent 1 or 2 then I would have considered a run at each of these quarterbacks...

Philip Rivers
Teddy Bridgewater
Matt Moore
Marcus Mariota
Andy Dalton
AJ McCarron
Case Keenum
Blake Bortles
Blaine Gabbert

Now I'm responsible for who's the quarterback? Fine.

1. Brady would still be the quarterback. He was much better than any other option heading into the 2020 season. Money/cap it could have worked too. There would have had to have been some necessary roster cuts... starting with both McCourtys which would have opened up cap space and the secondary is deep enough otherwise.

2. I wanted the team to draft Lamar Jackson in 2018 and that they passed on him was only made worse with the selection of Michel. I don't buy they needed Michel for the SB 53 victory either. Another RB could have replicated his value.

3. Absent 1 or 2 then I would have considered a run at each of these quarterbacks...

Philip Rivers
Teddy Bridgewater
Matt Moore
Marcus Mariota
Andy Dalton
AJ McCarron
Case Keenum
Blake Bortles
Blaine Gabbert

1. Brady isn't here.

2. Lamar Jackson isn't the answer. Although he is a great athlete.

3. Basically a list of 8-8 QBs. Spending cap space for nothing special.

Basically you're in favor of spending valuable cap space for mediocrity.

You are reaching. Teammates like him that’s all you got and watching a guy who has no clue how to play QB negates it.
I want to start a QB who can play QB I do not want to have the worst QB in the nfl and then bring him back another year older and beaten up.
I want a qb who can win football games.
Anyone you named and as many as 40 or 50 other qbs would be better. And yes I would pay more for an injury prone guy that I can win with. I would pay a kings ransom for a good qb if it’s my only choice.
You simply don’t take a guy who stinks at his job and have him mentor someone because he’s a nice guy.
The idea is about the worst idea anyone could ever have.

No. I disagree. 40 or 50? Nope.

What's a king's ransom? Four first round picks?

I think drafting is the answer. Would like to see a cheap mentor. Spend the cap on the rest of the team.

Your post seems to be nothing but 8-8 seasons.

Ring6 would rather lose 16 games than win 7 with an outspoken black QB. Notice how he refers to him as a “slug” multiple times. Typical dehumanizing behavior of a bitter old loser.
I don’t care if he’s white black green or purple, I care about winning. He stinks. Slug is the best way to describe his play as a Qb. You got a better one?
I have no interest in humanizing, dehumanizing or making any personal, character, or lifestyle assessments of football players. I am a fan who cares solely about what they do on the football field. It is literally impossible for my opoinion of them personally to matter at all because a) I don’t care about any of that and b) if i did there would be no way that opinion could ever affect them
The fact that you bring race into days a lot about you and nothing about me.
Take your crap somewhere else.

No. I disagree. 40 or 50? Nope.

What's a king's ransom? Four first round picks?

I think drafting is the answer. Would like to see a cheap mentor. Spend the cap on the rest of the team.

Your post seems to be nothing but 8-8 seasons.
Yes 40 or 50. If every Qb starter and backup were available almost every starter and half of the backups would be a better option plus many rookies.

If my only choices we Newton or Watson for 4 1s I’d take Watson. If I had other options 4 1s is too much.

You have to get Qb right. In the year you have the highest pick you will see and 60 million cap space you simply can not come out of that with an over the hill guy no one could argue isn’t one of the 3 worst starters in the league with a straight face.

What do you think a mentor is? It shouldn’t be a guy who doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Nothing about my post says 8-8 my post says dump the dead weight and fix it now.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back