PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam is not the Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're both right...Looked like neither Cam nor the OL nor McD had their best games Sunday...very disappointing...Didn't seem like there were many successful adjustments made - by either Cam & Skippy - after Romeo made his own adjustments in response to the Pats' first TD drive, which was a thing of beauty...And that 3rd-down call that ended Burkhead's career was an utter feckin catastrophe, from the beginning design, to the personnel package, to the game situation, and finally to the sad end...

Yes not a good game all around. I wish we had tried harder to run it down their throats, and blitzed a bit more on defense, but the answer to Romeo's defense was to dink and dunk right down the field. Watching Tampa Bay last night we saw it is not all about shiny "weapons". It is about planning the right routes, running those routes and passing to those routes. The QB can trump all of that as Watson showed us on Sunday, so that is the most critical part. Cam is not the amswer to that most critical part as he showed on Sunday.

You've been waiting for a reason to bash Cam I see. Newton wasn't the reason for the loss. Not even remotely.

Try again a few weeks ago.
He may not have been the reason for the loss but a QB with any kind of awareness of what’s going on out there would have been the reason for the win.
Cam Newton severely lacks awareness to play the QB position. When there is no real decision making involved he does fine but when he has to be aware of what’s around him, it’s like he is playing blind. How many times does he have to throw the ball right at JJ Watt? How many times does he have to make the wrong decision about staying in the pocket, leaving, where to go when he leaves, whether to run or pass? How many times does he have to show us that he doesn’t understand what open means?
He put up some decent stats but with just an average qb out there we would have put up 40 points in that game.

He may not have been the reason for the loss but a QB with any kind of awareness of what’s going on out there would have been the reason for the win.
Cam Newton severely lacks awareness to play the QB position. When there is no real decision making involved he does fine but when he has to be aware of what’s around him, it’s like he is playing blind. How many times does he have to throw the ball right at JJ Watt? How many times does he have to make the wrong decision about staying in the pocket, leaving, where to go when he leaves, whether to run or pass? How many times does he have to show us that he doesn’t understand what open means?
He put up some decent stats but with just an average qb out there we would have put up 40 points in that game.

All of that is fair. With a Top 15 QB, or a Top 15 QB type of performance (of which Cam is capable), we probably win that game. He was a neutral factor for this game in my mind.

I think you're both right...Looked like neither Cam nor the OL nor McD had their best games Sunday...very disappointing...Didn't seem like there were many successful adjustments made - by either Cam & Skippy - after Romeo made his own adjustments in response to the Pats' first TD drive, which was a thing of beauty...And that 3rd-down call that ended Burkhead's career was an utter feckin catastrophe, from the beginning design, to the personnel package, to the game situation, and finally to the sad end...

Good point on the lack of adjustments. That's a fairly un-Patriot thing to have happen. I know I've personally taken for granted that adjustments will come in any given game.

What about minshew? He is a decent passer and can thrive if the system is good?

We won a superbowl with Brady AFTER Jimmy G left.

4-6 for one season and you're gonna gladly stop watching? It sucks and our season is done, but you're such a weak fan
YUP! Just glad that I have those years of Sullivan Stadium, Victor Kiam and Superbowl 20 to name a few and to reflect on to keep things in perspective. Just enjoying the ability to still watch football on Sundays and forget about the cluster phuck we call the real world for a little while.

Last edited:
I’m amazed that most of the draft sites don’t have QB as a top need for the Pats. He’s signed to a 1-yr contract and hasn’t looked like any kind of answer. Can’t imagine BB settling for someone who looks like a decent NFL QB about every other game...

JG says hello.

Yeah we all rip on his 4th quarter in the Super Bowl but tbh he was only one throw away from beating the Chiefs in February. Maybe even one ticky tack OPI call on Kittle from doing so.

Looked good against us this year too. Got 11 yards per attempt - that's the highest allowed by the Pats defense this year to any QB.

If the 49ers let Jimmy go and Cam goes elsewhere... things will get interesting here.

Can’t wait to see the band back together at Super Bowl LIX. Tom Brady back in a Pats uni at 48 passing to 40 year old Jules and Danny. Then at the Lombardi presentation Skynet becomes self-aware.View attachment 29280
Tom looks constipated. That might explain last night.

The Titans "tanked" and were fortunately able to secure can't miss, future HOF Marcus Mariotta with the #2 pick. Years later they found themselves that dreaded "treadmill team" with 4 straight 9-7 seasons knowing that it was impossible to ever improve their fortunes. Somehow with a 2nd round RB and a journeyman QB they appear to be a serious contender for back to back AFCCG appearances. Pats clearly need a QB - Cam could improve enough next year to offer them enough to be serious contenders or they could find someone via FA or later in the draft.
For years here I argued with fans who were crapping on Ryan Tannehill, even though he had some success, even vs the Pats, until he was injured. Now those same fans would kill to have him here instead of Cam.

I really do like Cam and I’m not sure why. That being said I want to see Stidham just to confirm he has no future in the league as a starter. This is a lost season so what do we have to lose?
Does this mean that the Pats aren't going to give Cam a multi-year extension at 25 mil per year. I guess that ship has sailed or, more accurately, sunk.

Yeah that whole Look folks, Cam is really playing good football! thing from Lazar has already been debunked in another thread.

It must suck when the facts don't agree with your cognitive biases or feelings. Can't wait for your meltdown when Cam gets an extension this offseason.

I don’t know how anyone can be “all in” or “all out” on Cam for next year. I’d rather find a different bridge guy but I wouldn’t be pissed if they re-signed him for another year. If they have him a multi-year $20+ mill a year contract I wouldn’t be happy but I can’t imagine based on his play this year that would happen.

It must suck when the facts don't agree with your cognitive biases or feelings. Can't wait for your meltdown when Cam gets an extension this offseason.

Facts or esoteric cherry picked stats? What do your eyes tell you- is this an elite (top 5) offense? Please

The Jimmy G thing worries the heck out of me. Whilst I agree with most here that he is absolutely not "the answer" I can definitely see us bringing him back which would be a lateral move at best, on a longer more lucrative deal.

How anyone can follow his time at the 49ers (both injuries and performance) and think he's the answer is baffling btw, stop posting 2017 highlights of a game that (shock) ended with him injured.

I think he can run our offense the way we want to. He doesn't seem to fit san frans offense.

Doesn't mean he won't get better here though. Look at ryan tannehill in Miami vs tennessee. Totally different guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes