PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam is not the Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Click the link :rolleyes:

Thanks. I can not see links on my phone.

You noted poor play calling and the OLine struggled. The other items were not strictly offense breakdowns.

The last offensive play of the game was typical of the whole day. The Texans brought extra guys off the left - they did not disguise it because they brought similar rushes all game and Cam did not know how to adjust. Even with 6+ guys obviously rushing, Cam did not adjust the protection, went into a deep drop right into the outside blitz, and then looked to make a big windup. RC did the same stuff over and over, and Cam did not adjust.

JM tried every gadget play, screens, etc. We have one of the best Olines in the NFL. If the Texans put eight to nine men on the line, no team is going to run successfully. But there are short easy passes available all day long.

How many 3 step drops with a sub-3 second release did you see Cam make? How many adjustments did you see Cam make at the line? Scrambles away from pressure? Passes to quick slants over the middle?

Bad play calling and poor Oline play are lazy takes. Any specific plays you would have called? Adjustments when the Texans started playing 8 and 9 guys at the line? Any details?

Cam does some things well but when he has to adjust, his limitations are stark. Watching DW all game you did not see the difference as Watson successfully adjusted over and over? Did I miss more links? :rolleyes:

I don't disagree with the premise that Cam isn't the answer. I wholeheartedly agree. He's never a guy who's going to thrive throwing short/quick passes due to his mechanics and play-style. He's much better suited throwing down the field - that's not a good fit for our offense. Totally agree.

What I disagree with is piling on the guy and giving up on the team. Instead of being angry and attacking our QB, it’s a lot healthier to accept the nature of the situation and root for the guys we have on the team right now.

Again, this is the reality - it's a bridge year with a mismatch at QB schematically. That said, you get a guy who brings some creativity and athleticism. If nothing else, Cam is exciting to watch and seems like a really good guy - I'm pulling for him and will continue to root for him whether he's a Patriot or not.

Taking a step back, I think Cam was brought in to push Stid, give him some competition, and see how he responded; Stid crumbled and Cam won the job despite the schematic mismatches that his skill-set poses. A credit to Cam and an indictment on Stid.

But I digress. As for this season, just accept it. No sense is being angry and worked up about it. I'll pull for the team and Cam, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape if the team and/or Cam struggle. He seems like a great guy and I enjoy watching him succeed. Do I expect him to be here long-term, or even next season? No, of course not, for all the reasons mentioned: he's not a good fit for what this offense wants to do. If Jimmy G. is available he'll absolutely be back - he's a perfect fit for this offense.

The sooner you can accept the reality of this season, acknowledge some of the positives regarding development of young players, and realize that things are going to be a lot better in the near-future due to salary space, the sooner you'll be happier. Accept the gaps in the roster and lack of depth due to salary issues; accept the schematic mismatch at QB; accept the youth and inexperience at spots -- accept all of those things and then just root for the guys who are here right now.

That's my approach for the rest of the season; my expectations have been lowered. I'm not invested in winning/losing - I just want to see the team compete hard and continue to have the young players develop and grow in their roles. The future looks bright.
Bravo great post !

The Jimmy G thing worries the heck out of me. Whilst I agree with most here that he is absolutely not "the answer" I can definitely see us bringing him back which would be a lateral move at best, on a longer more lucrative deal.

How anyone can follow his time at the 49ers (both injuries and performance) and think he's the answer is baffling btw, stop posting 2017 highlights of a game that (shock) ended with him injured.

Cam might be the answer. Of course, much of that depends on what the question is...

You noted poor play calling and the OLine struggled. The other items were not strictly offense breakdowns.

The last offensive play of the game was typical of the whole day. The Texans brought extra guys off the left - they did not disguise it because they brought similar rushes all game and Cam did not know how to adjust. Even with 6+ guys obviously rushing, Cam did not adjust the protection, went into a deep drop right into the outside blitz, and then looked to make a big windup. RC did the same stuff over and over, and Cam did not adjust.

JM tried every gadget play, screens, etc. We have one of the best Olines in the NFL. If the Texans put eight to nine men on the line, no team is going to run successfully. But there are short easy passes available all day long.

How many 3 step drops with a sub-3 second release did you see Cam make? How many adjustments did you see Cam make at the line? Scrambles away from pressure? Passes to quick slants over the middle?

Bad play calling and poor Oline play are lazy takes. Any specific plays you would have called? Adjustments when the Texans started playing 8 and 9 guys at the line? Any details?

Cam does some things well but when he has to adjust, his limitations are stark. Watching DW all game you did not see the difference as Watson successfully adjusted over and over? Did I miss more links? :rolleyes:

Gotcha. Didn't realize people can't see links on their phones.

There have been a lot of analytic pieces already on how the game could have been better called. You may disagree, but "Cam bad" is a lazy take as well. I'm not expecting Cam to make a lot of adjustments at the line. TFB did, but he also had the benefit of a generation in the system. Could Cam be better? Sure. But if you think the OL played well and that the playcalling was on point, we're simply not going to agree. Oh well.

It's a message board. We're not changing the world here. No need to be so sensitive.

He's obviously not the answer. He's obviously a great guy who's loved by all, teammates love him, coaches love him, but bottom line, he's AT BEST, the 20th best QB in the NFL. And it can be debated that he's lower than 20th best. He has horrible mechanics, and he takes a long time to get rid of the ball. This offense is predicated on QBs who can get rid of the ball fast, a quick read and quick release. He's not a good fit for that. His immense talent as a runner can hide some of his numerous amounts of weaknesses.

I understand the Jimmy G fascination. He has a quick release. He's built for the Pat's offense, doesn't really fit in the 49er's offense. BUT the warts are there, I don't want the Pats to pay him a fortune if he becomes available. I do feel he would be better for the Pats than Cam, but I really think it's not going to be an option.

The Pats NEED to draft a QB with their HIGH 1st round pick. One with a quick release, and runs a pro offense. Everybody can see that they need to do that. Therefore they will draft a guard, or a safety or a LB.

I live in NY, I got to see the Chargers vs the Jets yesterday (11/22), and man does Justin Herbert look good. I loved him in the draft. Sure, the Chargers still stink, but they are going in the right direction, and they have a great young QB for the next 10-15 years. My point is, what a difference a good/great QB makes, whether it's High School, College or the NFL, if you have "that guy" at QB, the sky is the limit. Look at some of these schools these QBs come out of, I'll use BYU as an example, they pretty much sucked recently until Zach Wilson showed up. Same with Oregon when Herbert showed up. And usually these teams go back to sucking once these guys leave.

My point is, the Pats have to take a swing at the fences for that franchise QB in the first round. Doesn't always work out, Josh Rosen is an example of this, but you have to try.

Easy. In the 4th quarter of Super bowl LIX, TB12 was throwing to JE12 (7th rounder), Danny Amendola (UDFA), James White (4th Rounder), Marcus Bennet (acquired for a 6th rounder) & Malcom Mitchell (4th rounder). The OL was a 1st rounder (Soldier), a 3rd rounder (Thuney), a UDFA (Andrews), a 5th rounder (Mason) & a 5th Rounder (Cannon)...
Can’t wait to see the band back together at Super Bowl LIX. Tom Brady back in a Pats uni at 48 passing to 40 year old Jules and Danny. Then at the Lombardi presentation Skynet becomes self-aware.2C68ED35-5DA9-43CA-8D00-9FA5955BD537.jpeg

Not doing everything to retain Brady with no backup plan is the biggest blunder of Bill's career.

If they finish between 4-12 and 6-10 it's highly likely one of if not both Trask and Wilson will be available to them. I am ok with either. Get a mid level vet not named Cam, **** I'll take Fitzpatrick if available and willing to play the same game in a row for a second year. But get someone like that and let him and the rookie compete in camp.

If they finish between 4-12 and 6-10 it's highly likely one of if not both Trask and Wilson will be available to them. I am ok with either. Get a mid level vet not named Cam, **** I'll take Fitzpatrick if available and willing to play the same game in a row for a second year. But get someone like that and let him and the rookie compete in camp.
It may not be a popular opinion but if we have a young guy we draft I would absolutely love to see Fitz as the starter next year. He is maddeningly inconsistent but he is fun to watch.

I think he can be, the team just need retooling.

I saw some tape of Zach wilson... Mahomesque....Can we get that guy.... Have a feeling bears night scoop him up if available.. at this point I feel it's better to go with stidham and see if he has anything up his sleeve.. its not tanking in strictest sense ... I hope we have a decent shot of landing a qb next year as opposed to getting a 7-9 result. Better to be a 5 -11 team and have a shot in top 10.

If Trask and Wilson are both available when we pick and we select Trask I may shoot myself.

I think he can be, the team just need retooling.
Yes, we need to "re-tool". We need to sign or trade for
3 NFL quality WR's
2 NFL quality TE's
3 interior front seven folks (DT's and ILB's)

Of course, this presumes re-signing our OL's and RB's who are free agents.

And, of course, we could use a pass-rusher.

Cam may not be "the" answer but I really would not mind having him for as long as it takes to find "the" answer. He's not great but he's about as good as Fitzpatrick for a stopgap QB

Recently I've been trying to use dating sites and I'm finding that the attractiveness of women in my range is, um, not the same as the chicks I nailed in from ages 20 - 38

Turns out if you spend 2 decades doing nothing but slaying young, tight trim you end up with expectations that are wildly out of step with reality.

I think wilson will go before 10. We might need to be on the trade clock with Bengals. Draft day should be fun this time as long as we don't sign any defensive backs or Offensive linemen ...

Gotcha. Didn't realize people can't see links on their phones.

There have been a lot of analytic pieces already on how the game could have been better called. You may disagree, but "Cam bad" is a lazy take as well. I'm not expecting Cam to make a lot of adjustments at the line. TFB did, but he also had the benefit of a generation in the system. Could Cam be better? Sure. But if you think the OL played well and that the playcalling was on point, we're simply not going to agree. Oh well.

It's a message board. We're not changing the world here. No need to be so sensitive.
I think you're both right...Looked like neither Cam nor the OL nor McD had their best games Sunday...very disappointing...Didn't seem like there were many successful adjustments made - by either Cam or Skippy - after Romeo made his own adjustments in response to the Pats' first TD drive, which was a thing of beauty...And that 3rd-down call that ended Burkhead's career was an utter feckin catastrophe, beginning with the design, to the personnel package used, to the game situation, and finally to the sad end...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots