PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty: "I wouldn't mind........"

If Cam is back we could seriously start asking if Bill has lost it

DMac being a good teammate / knowing Cam isn’t returning. No harm no foul.
Bingo. He’s saying nice things about a friend. Cam isn’t coming back here. He was simply the best option at the time because Stidham would have gotten killed in the pocket having to hold the ball as long as necessary waiting for someone to get open after Edelman went down. Our offense’s best chance was a power running game. We had that. Now it’s time to upgrade the WR and TE positions and move on.

I thought he played well the first month of the season. At that time, many here thought it would be a no brainer to offer him a contract extension.

Then he got COVID and was awful after returning. I’d like to understand why. His throwing motion, footwork, and ability to see the field went to crap.
I wouldn’t mind keeping him on a short, small contract and drafting a QB in the first round.

I don't know if it was performance related or Covid related but I enjoyed everything else about the guy. I can't think of a better guy to teach a rookie.

Teach him how to suck? Teach him how to lack any semblance of understanding a passing game? Teach him how to lack any pocket awareness at all? Teach him how to make terrible decisions?
Drafting a QB who will learn under a transition guy would be one of the strongest reasons to make sure that slug isn’t back here.

Stats are for losers.

Back away from the keyboard stat king.

Kind of depends on other options. If we have to go all in to get a mediocre guy like Stafford then I'd rather have Newton on the cheap.
Most likely he'll be crappy again, but long term that may be better than going all in on a slightly better loser. There's also a chance that with a full recovery from Covid and pre-season and hopefully a couple weapons he'd be more successful.

Completed almost 66% of his passes with no TE to throw to and Damiere Byrd/Jakobi Meyers as his main WRs. Stafford didn't even want to come to this team because of how bad of shape the offense is in. Your boy Brady bailed on you guys because of how bad this offense is. Edleman (The only threat on this terrible offense) got hurt after putting up THE BEST NUMBERS OF HIS CAREER with Cam Newton NOT Tom Brady at Qb and then he was hurt the rest of the year after that game in week 2. Then Cam got Covid. I mean what did you guys honestly expect? 4k yards and 30 TDs? TO WHO? It's like listening to a bunch of elementary school children talk about football on this board. Really sad.
Hey Cam, is that you?

So explain to me how the supporting cast causes a QB to bounce the ball 6 feet short of an open receiver. Explain to me how supporting cast caused him to throw the ball directly into a rusher who was right in his face. Explain to me his the supporting cast led to him almost never escaping a rush buying time and completing a pass.
he was the worst qb in the nfl and would have been regardless of who is duooortj g cast was. Put him on any of the other 31 teams and he stinks there too.
You're explaining a few bad plays that happened. You people talk about him bouncing the ball as if he did it every other throw. I watched him do it 2 maybe 3 times at most. And if you don't think a supporting cast matters to a Qbs success then I wonder what it is you are actually smoking cuz it ain't good. You are legit trying to sit here and argue that someone throwing to a bunch of UDFA WRs should have the same success as someone throwing to pro bowl/all pro receivers do you have any idea how stupid that sounds? Like legit do you? It sounds like you don't know a damn thing about football

In general, I don't know half as much as I wish I knew and when it comes to the Patriots I don't know even a fraction of what BB knows. He has way more time invested in this team and football in general than anyone else, I'm gonna trust "that" guy to pick the next QB. If it doesn't work out his boss will judge him and make sure the errors are corrected and if not, Kraft will move on to a new GM/Coach. But that is many years down the road, Bill has earned a lot of leeway with the ownership and (I would hope) the fans. He's not perfect, but he is the best to ever do it during the salary cap era.

Completed almost 66% of his passes with no TE to throw to and Damiere Byrd/Jakobi Meyers as his main WRs. Stafford didn't even want to come to this team because of how bad of shape the offense is in. Your boy Brady bailed on you guys because of how bad this offense is. Edleman (The only threat on this terrible offense) got hurt after putting up THE BEST NUMBERS OF HIS CAREER with Cam Newton NOT Tom Brady at Qb and then he was hurt the rest of the year after that game in week 2. Then Cam got Covid. I mean what did you guys honestly expect? 4k yards and 30 TDs? TO WHO? It's like listening to a bunch of elementary school children talk about football on this board. Really sad.

SMH.. Cam got that BECAUSE of his receivers, not because he did a good job throwing the ball. FFS. Did you actually WATCH the games? Cam was perpetually late on his reads and late on his throws.

People like you making excuses for Cam after he single-handedly lost the 49ers game are just ridiculous. And before you say he didn't, Cam was the reason that every single Pats' drive of the 1st half ended prematurely.

YOU are the one who sounds like the elementary school child trying to talk football. People like you always blame the receivers yet you ignore how badly Cam was throwing the ball all year. He put more balls into the ground than Brady EVER did.

I expected a QB who could actually throw the ball to his receivers in stride. I expected a QB who, at 6'4, wasn't side-arming his throws and having them knocked down. You blame COVID, but it was clear to most everyone that it was Cam's SHOULDER that was the issue.

It's truly sad when some NEWB comes in here and mouths off like you have.

his mechanics were woefully inconsistent - when his footwork was good, he threw decent balls......when he struggled with reads/progressions, his footwork tended to be lousy, and his arm slot got weird, and he threw some lousy balls.....there were times when he faced pressure where he used his feet to make some great runs, and some great throws on the run......there were other times where his mechanics went out the window, or he folded

i'm sure there were lots of factors at play - unfamiliarity with the offense, lack of practice time, sub par receivers/receivers not being in the right place at the right time

but he did not do a lot to make his receivers better......given better receivers and more time with the offense, would he be better? who knows.....and hopefully we don't get a chance to find out

SMH.. Cam got that BECAUSE of his receivers, not because he did a good job throwing the ball. FFS. Did you actually WATCH the games? Cam was perpetually late on his reads and late on his throws.

People like you making excuses for Cam after he single-handedly lost the 49ers game are just ridiculous. And before you say he didn't, Cam was the reason that every single Pats' drive of the 1st half ended prematurely.

YOU are the one who sounds like the elementary school child trying to talk football. People like you always blame the receivers yet you ignore how badly Cam was throwing the ball all year. He put more balls into the ground than Brady EVER did.

I expected a QB who could actually throw the ball to his receivers in stride. I expected a QB who, at 6'4, wasn't side-arming his throws and having them knocked down. You blame COVID, but it was clear to most everyone that it was Cam's SHOULDER that was the issue.

It's truly sad when some NEWB comes in here and mouths off like you have.
I don't care to change anyone's opinions. Nothing that I say will and I don't mind that. I'm mainly doing it because I'm bored at work and it's entertaining to see the level of Football knowledge that comes out of one of the "Finest Football Franchises" to ever grace the NFL. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of football knowledge to be gained here or even basic logic used on these boards/fan base, However, the one thing that is true that none of you can argue is that there ain't no one coming to save this franchise. The Bills will own the divison for the next 5+ years at least and the Pats are going to be bottom feeders and that is your reality. Good luck with it! People like you deserve it

You're explaining a few bad plays that happened. You people talk about him bouncing the ball as if he did it every other throw. I watched him do it 2 maybe 3 times at most. And if you don't think a supporting cast matters to a Qbs success then I wonder what it is you are actually smoking cuz it ain't good. You are legit trying to sit here and argue that someone throwing to a bunch of UDFA WRs should have the same success as someone throwing to pro bowl/all pro receivers do you have any idea how stupid that sounds? Like legit do you? It sounds like you don't know a damn thing about football
I don't believe the arm is shot as much as he legit had no one to throw too for 80% of the year. This is legit the most talent deficient offense in the NFL and it isn't close. And the fan base is expecting the Qb to make a gourmet meal while shopping for ingredients at McDonalds it just isn't going to happen

You don't know what talent is, clearly.

Cam threw 3-5 balls into the ground PER GAME it seemed like. YOU are the one who is smoking stuff with your blathering to this point. This idea that you have that UDFA players can't become Pro-Bowl/ALl-Pro receivers is as big of a joke as your other opinions. NEWTON played better in Carolina before his bum shoulder with receivers worse than Meyers, Harry, Byrd. You'd know this if you'd paid attention to his career at all.

Newton had 3 very bad games in the 2nd half. The Cardinals. The Rams. The Bills. He didn't complete over 60% of his passes in any of those games. In fact, he did so poorly that he didn't even 20 passing attempts in the final 2 games because he ended up getting pulled for Stidham.

Troy Brown, David, Patten, and Charles Johnson say "HI" and that you don't know what you are talking about.

I don't care to change anyone's opinions. Nothing that I say will and I don't mind that. I'm mainly doing it because I'm bored at work and it's entertaining to see the level of Football knowledge that comes out of one of the "Finest Football Franchises" to ever grace the NFL. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of football knowledge to be gained here or even basic logic used on these boards/fan base, However, the one thing that is true that none of you can argue is that there ain't no one coming to save this franchise. The Bills will own the divison for the next 5+ years at least and the Pats are going to be bottom feeders and that is your reality. Good luck with it! People like you deserve it

There is PLENTY of football knowledge to be gained here. Unfortunately for you, you don't know what REAL football knowledge actually is.

But thank you for admitting that you are nothing but a TROLL.

not for nothing, but the bills are 6 million over projected cap and have a pretty fair FA list to deal with

I guess we will just have to wait and see what the NFL thinks of Cams 2020 tape when he signs his next contract. And your opinion of our future is noted.

not for nothing, but the bills are 6 million over projected cap and have a pretty fair FA list to deal with
6M is nothing. They can free that up easily by changing 11M of Diggs salary to SB and amortizing the SB over 3 years. They have 6 or 7 other players they could do the same with so they can free up another 20+M.

6M is nothing. They can free that up easily by changing 11M of Diggs salary to SB and amortizing the SB over 3 years. They have 6 or 7 other players they could do the same with so they can free up another 20+M.
no, i get that they aren't screwed by any means

but there is an art to maintaining success in the league these days.......it will be interesting to see how some of the teams that have done a good job building a roster do at maintaining one

Comments:

- DMac also said great things about Stiddy last year.

- Cam returning is fine by me as long as we bring in real competition, its for short money, and we consider a position change....like a Taysom Hill kinda position....or even at TE.

- Cam might have zero pocket awareness, poor accuracy, and seem to actually struggle to put any velocity on the ball...almost like he is shot putting an iron ball. BUT, he’s still a great teammate, locker room guy, runner, leader of men, totally likeable, and even showed good hands in the season finale. It would have been so easy for him to throw guys under the bus, complain about COVID, no TC, and working in the Perkins-Earnhardt offense..... but no...he took his lumps better than Bledsoe ever did. I will always be a Cam fan....he tried to do the impossible last year on short money coming off injuries. Honestly, with a full camp...no COVID BS...I believe we are a playoff team with Cam.

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back