PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deshaun Watson Suspended 11 games (Updated)

Same as Big Ben.

Was talking to someone who works in the NYC crypto industry who recently returned from a bachelor's party in Costa Rica.
A development in the bachelor party industry apparently is renting all-inclusive villas in Costa Rica that come with turn-key hookers.
As the story goes, the financial geek's villa was next to a villa filled with NFL players from a NFC North team.....and in a moment of neighborly hospitality, the NFLers invited the crypto geeks over to booze and see first-hand the off-field world of NFL stars up close and in action.
(A couple of big names I might add)

Anyway, no word if Roger's "investigators" are honing in on this group or if he only targets paid-in-full US masseuses unaffiliated with geriatric owners.

He's out for the Pats game... only thing that really matters

as for the Brady/Ballghazi stuff... remember Brady was suspended for not kowtowing to Herr Goodells wishes and demands and the team fined/stripped of picks because of other butthurt owners still complaining over the spygate penalty

As I figured,

A slap on the hand for giving the league another black eye.

Lol it be a travesty if he only gets 2 more games than what Tom got for deflated footballs

For allegedly maybe being generally aware of footballs losing air pressure because of a natural phenomenon, you get 4 games.

For sexually harassing 30 women (maybe more), you get 6.

So Calvin Ridley gets a full year for betting $4000 on NFL games, while Watson gets 6 games for assaulting nearly 2 dozen women? Only in Goodell's kangaroo court...

Watson sat all of last season. Shouldn't that count for something?

What was done to Tom Brady was criminal. Watson's suspension shouldn't be compared to that.

Ridley gambled on NFL games. What Watson did was outside the workplace. No comparison. Ridley was worse.

I'm not defending his actions, but come on. Watson didn't physically beat anyone. It wasn't criminal. Missing almost 1.5 years of his career is a steep penalty, not light.

Watson sat all of last season. Shouldn't that count for something?

Didn't he sit because the Texans wouldn't pay him? I thought it was a hold out, and then when it was clear the Texans weren't going anywhere last year, they couldn't trade him because of the legal ambiguity. He wasn't suspended last year, if I recall correctly.

Really?

White owners walk, but black athletes pay the price for sexual improprieties.
If we are being honest, the "price" Watson is paying is extremely small. He will miss 6 games and all less than $400,000 in salary. That's about 1/6th of 1% of his contract's value.
The NFL law should be equal for all. Kraft should have received some form of punishment and Jones as well for having his pants down by his ankles all over the web. Both clearly violated the NFLs code of conduct.
Kraft broke the law and should have been punished. Jones' photos were embarrassing, but unless there is something reported that I am unaware of (which may indeed be the case since I don't exactly follow the life and times of Jerry Jones terribly closely) he didn't break any laws.

I am unaware of any punishment the NFL has handed out to a player for mere infidelity and, quite honestly, unaware of any punishment handed out to a player for solicitation.

So Calvin Ridley gets a full year for betting $4000 on NFL games, while Watson gets 6 games for assaulting nearly 2 dozen women? Only in Goodell's kangaroo court...
Apples and oranges. Ridley deserved what he got. We fans will tune in to watch rapists and abusers, but will not tune in to watch players deliberately throw games for gambling purposes. Gambling is the one thing that can indeed destroy a League.

Didn't he sit because the Texans wouldn't pay him? I thought it was a hold out, and then when it was clear the Texans weren't going anywhere last year, they couldn't trade him because of the legal ambiguity. He wasn't suspended last year, if I recall correctly.

It was a backdoor play while the situation was investigated. Semantics.

Well, we barely avoid Watson...our game against Cleveland is in Week 6.

Really?

White owners walk, but black athletes pay the price for sexual improprieties. The NFL law should be equal for all. Kraft should have received some form of punishment and Jones as well for having his pants down by his ankles all over the web. Both clearly violated the NFLs code of conduct.

Racism accusations today in this environment? Good luck.
Nice play
Throw in the race card !

Why aren't you defending any of the black masseuses that he offended or harassed (which is not illegal, but tell that to the women)
Why are you so against anything to do with the Patriots and for every other team and their players ?

I suppose the thinking there is that Deflategate and players gambling have to do with the actual NFL itself while what Watson did was outside the NFL. Something like that maybe?

Nice play
Throw in the race card !

Why aren't you defending any of the black masseuses that he offended or harassed (which is not illegal, but tell that to the women)
Why are you so against anything to do with the Patriots and for every other team and their players ?
Loose bearing, eh?

Even if the arbitrator wanted to solely go off of past precedent for the current punishment, which is baffling to me and dumb but let’s just go with it, Ben Rothlessberger’s 6 game suspension due to the non-criminal allegations from one woman should apply to each of the 5 women who’s cases went in front of the judge. So, based on that precedent the suspension should be 30 games.

The NFLPA should revolt when Kraft and Jerry Jones got nothing.
I wasn't aware Kraft's masseuse was an unwilling participant in anything that transpired.

Will Goodell extend it out further? I gotta believe that Watson in Cleveland is a huge story this year and is expected to make a splash in ticket sales. It wouldn't surprise me if that overrode any PR cleanup on the NFL's side. They've already established a trend of not really caring about things like this.

I can see them keeping it at 6 to milk that money train as much as possible.

In early 2021, Watson announced he would never play for the Texans again. He was obviously fed up with the general cluster-f of that organization (plus he probably wanted more money). It was a couple months after that proclamation that these allegations surfaced. Supposedly last summer they got close to making a deal with Miami, but that's just rumor.

So what would have happened if the allegations never surfaced? Would the Texans have traded him or called his bluff? They probably would have traded him but who knows.... but what happened was he voluntarily stayed away and they paid him his contract.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back