PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deshaun Watson Media Love-Fest

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 17037
And no, I'm not comparing Watson to Brady. But you should buy into intangibles at least a little bit based on the past 17 years.

For every Tom Brady in the last 17 years, there's approximately 900 'intangibles' quarterbacks that didn't make it. I'll stick with what I said about intangibles.

After watching GMF interviews I came away more impressed with Mahomes and Kizer than with Watson when it came to mental prowess.

Mahomes basically landed in the ideal situation for him and may turn out to be the best quarterback taken in this draft.

I'd take Cam after Brady, Rodgers, and Brees right now. The guy has no receivers other than Greg Olsen, no running backs, and no offensive line. Put him on the Steelers, since Roethlisberger is probably the next best in the league, and they'd have won the Super Bowl last season.

You think replacing Ben with Cam would have resulted in a Steelers victory in the AFCCG in Foxboro?

You think replacing Ben with Cam would have resulted in a Steelers victory in the AFCCG in Foxboro?

People are so desperate to basically diminish TB12 it's comical. Everyone that's close fails. Just like Gronk. He and TB12 are such rare breeds that they cannot be duplicated.

When Watson is pummeled because great D and D coordinators are scheming to exploit his weaknesses, we won't be hearing jack about him.

Last edited:
There's been plenty of guys who had intangibles and didn't make it. At some point you need the skill. You need to be great from the pocket in the NFL. You know that. Well atleast I hope you do. This guy is limited from the pocket right now

Absolutely I know you need the skill. But if you're passionate enough about your craft, some of that can be developed. Brady did just that.

I'm not trying to predict greatness for Watson, but was simply responding to the statement that intangibles without the skill doesn't work. Yes, I know there's not a ton of examples like Brady. At the same time, there's a ton of examples of players with all the ability in the world that simply didn't have the intangibles. Remember when Jamarcus Russell turned in the best pro day performance some had ever seen?

I'd take Cam after Brady, Rodgers, and Brees right now. The guy has no receivers other than Greg Olsen, no running backs, and no offensive line. Put him on the Steelers, since Roethlisberger is probably the next best in the league, and they'd have won the Super Bowl last season.
What would he do if he had receivers? He isn't very accurate.

Immediately what I thought of when reading that as well.

People were saying the same things about Brady, but no one cared because he was skinny and slow.

Intangibles matter.
So do awful mechanics.

Watson graduated from Clemson in 3.5 years (came in a semester early). He is a smart kid. I live in SC, and while not a Clemson fan, have watched this kid blossom. He has won everywhere he has played - won 5A title in Georgia. He has flaws, but is a hard worker. I think he has a real shot to do well.

Chad Kelly did that. The kid from Arkansas did that. You can throw on Alabama lately if you have the players. They've been vulnerable against the pass lately
Yea that's accurate.

.. and still Saban pulls down a 5y/$65m deal

Some points on the points:

- Big Ben >>>>>>> Cam Newton
- Kizer is garbage
- I think Watson will do fine in the NFL, considering his limitations inside the pocket.

At the very least, it would have been a much closer game than it was.

Mahomes basically landed in the ideal situation for him and may turn out to be the best quarterback taken in this draft.
I'm not buying the Mahomes hype. Andy Reid has not earned his reputation as a QB guru. He got some good years out of McNabb but couldn't get over the hump. After that, his 6 wins with AJ Feeley were smoke and mirrors, Kevin Kolb was a disaster, and Nick Foles didn't do anything until Chip Kelly took over.

KC has plateaued over the past four seasons. They are relying on several aging players (Hali, Maclin, Johnson), have been hit by some roster attrition, their past few drafts have all yielded a couple good players but not much depth, and they've spent big draft capital this year and next for Mahomes, I see them getting worse before they get better.

Houston's roster is built around younger cornerstone players. They have shown they can win with their best player hurt and Osweiler at QB. Watson has a higher floor, and Houston only needs average QB play to contend.

At the very least, it would have been a much closer game than it was.

I highly doubt it. Even if we accept that Newton is better than Roethlisberger, after Bell went out the Steelers only had Antonio Brown and not much else to threaten the Patriots with. Brown was contained and, with that in mind, I have a feeling that the #1 defense in the NFL would have found a way to rattle Cam and get him to turtle in yet another big game like he did in Super Bowl 50. Further, Cam doesn't play defense. Brady still would have tuned up the Steelers' defense. There's no way they win the Super Bowl just by replacing Ben with Cam because they wouldn't have even made it there anyway.

I'm not buying the Mahomes hype. Andy Reid has not earned his reputation as a QB guru. He got some good years out of McNabb but couldn't get over the hump. After that, his 6 wins with AJ Feeley were smoke and mirrors, Kevin Kolb was a disaster, and Nick Foles didn't do anything until Chip Kelly took over.

KC has plateaued over the past four seasons. They are relying on several aging players (Hali, Maclin, Johnson), have been hit by some roster attrition, their past few drafts have all yielded a couple good players but not much depth, and they've spent big draft capital this year and next for Mahomes, I see them getting worse before they get better.

Houston's roster is built around younger cornerstone players. They have shown they can win with their best player hurt and Osweiler at QB. Watson has a higher floor, and Houston only needs average QB play to contend.

Reid's failures have been as a head coach. His in-game adjustments have been nothing short of bad at times throughout his coaching career. Due to that alone, those early-2000's Eagles teams underperformed in spite of the fact that they reached all of those championship games and the Super Bowl. But his ability as a quarterbacks coach shouldn't be questioned. He's gotten the most out of Alex Smith and he got the most out of both McNabb and Vick (albeit for one season). Mahomes is in the ultimate situation due to that fact coupled with the fact that he has the opportunity to sit, wait, and learn. This is Smith's team right now and he won't be thrust into action immediately.

Actually, if we're taking away the possibility of a QB pick blowing it because of his own stupidity, I'd say that Kelly is in the best possible situation. IMO, Kelly was the best pure passer to come out in this draft and would have a very bright future if football was his #1 priority. But it isn't. Partying and sliding into Mia Khalifa's DMs are his two top priorities. Unless that changes, he won't have much of a future in the NFL.

Yea that's accurate.

.. and still Saban pulls down a 5y/$65m deal
That's probably got something to do with the fact that he's the greatest college coach of the past half century or so.

That's probably got something to do with the fact that he's the greatest college coach of the past half century or so.
He really is.

They won in the worst division in football with a 9-7 and won a playoff game because Carr didn't play. Would anyone be shocked if they are 3-13 next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents