PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deshaun Watson Media Love-Fest

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalemPats

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
OT: D Watson

It's like the media is in love with D Watson. I just don't see it, accuracy and the deep ball are issues. College and NFL are very different, way too many mismatches and a good O-Line or scrambling ability can skew results that won't happen in the NFL.

n my opinion if you can't throw the slants or back shoulder throws with accuracy you can't play in this league and his deep ball accuracy and strength are real issues. Yes, he will scramble for plays, but once he gets hit by the likes of a Khalil Mack those usually stop. Lets not compare him to Cam either. Cam is much bigger and stronger.

Lets not compare him to Cam either. Cam is much bigger and stronger.

Cam is a great comparison. He completed below 53% of his passes last season and the team tanked after he was banged up and not a much of a running threat. Contrast that to 2015 when he was able to run at will.

Cam is a great comparison. He completed below 53% of his passes last season and the team tanked after he was banged up and not a much of a running threat. Contrast that to 2015 when he was able to run at will.

His best wide receiver was Ted Ginn. Heck, he won an MVP with Ted Ginn as his best wide receiver. If Watson ends up as good as Cam Newton, a top-5 QB in the league, then the Texans will win a Super Bowl sooner than later.

That said, Watson was the third quarterback drafted in an extremely weak quarterback draft. His scouting reports all seemed down on his actual talent level and very high on 'intangibles' like the fact he 'won all the big games' which isn't the sort of thinking I really buy into.

His scouting reports all seemed down on his actual talent level and very high on 'intangibles' like the fact he 'won all the big games' which isn't the sort of thinking I really buy into.

636223022158396031-GettyImages-397898.jpg
And no, I'm not comparing Watson to Brady. But you should buy into intangibles at least a little bit based on the past 17 years.

Huh? Above average, yes. Uniquely skilled, yes. Top-5? Absolutely no way.

Cam is a tough one to judge. He's played injured. He's carried his team at times. He seemed to get mentally beat down in the SB. I've watched games in which Ginn dropped easy catches. Anyways I think he's a top QB but not sure where I'd put him.

Huh? Above average, yes. Uniquely skilled, yes. Top-5? Absolutely no way.

I'd take Cam after Brady, Rodgers, and Brees right now. The guy has no receivers other than Greg Olsen, no running backs, and no offensive line. Put him on the Steelers, since Roethlisberger is probably the next best in the league, and they'd have won the Super Bowl last season.

I'd take Cam after Brady, Rodgers, and Brees right now. The guy has no receivers other than Greg Olsen, no running backs, and no offensive line. Put him on the Steelers, since Roethlisberger is probably the next best in the league, and they'd have won the Super Bowl last season.

I agree his skill position support is hot garbage right now, but throughout his career he has struggled with accuracy. His 2015 season was outstanding, but I don't see how a top-5 quarterback has 2 winning seasons in 6 years, especially since the Panthers have a good defense. You could use the "he carries that team on his shoulders" argument, except that he really doesn't, outside of one really good year.

I think top-5 in the NFC is about right. Rodgers, Wilson, and Brees are above Newton, while Ryan is also probably better overall.

I have no idea why Roethlisberger is still considered a top-5 quarterback. His hype has exceeded his inconsistent play for years now. Wilson is perennially underrated.

I agree his skill position support is hot garbage right now, but throughout his career he has struggled with accuracy. His 2015 season was outstanding, but I don't see how a top-5 quarterback has 2 winning seasons in 6 years, especially since the Panthers have a good defense. You could use the "he carries that team on his shoulders" argument, except that he really doesn't, outside of one really good year.

I agree with you on Wilson, but the Panthers defense wasn't nearly as good last season after they let Norman leave and Kuechly missed almost half the season. On offense, Samuel and McCaffrey should help some, but rookies are rookies. Kelvin Benjamin is terrible. There's only so much a QB can do, and you're right that he's been getting beat up (and their coaching staff has been letting him).

Ryan is better than Newton hands down.
I'd take Wentz over Cam as well.
I still can't get over the fact the ball was right in front of him in the Superbowl and he didn't dive on it and absorb punishment.
He was scared.
Athletically a beast Character he's a good guy champion?
I don't think he has the stones for it.

Cam is a tough one to judge. He's played injured. He's carried his team at times. He seemed to get mentally beat down in the SB. I've watched games in which Ginn dropped easy catches. Anyways I think he's a top QB but not sure where I'd put him.

Top 15 I guess. Seems like every other year he gets his s**t together.

Ryan is better than Newton hands down.
I'd take Wentz over Cam as well.
I still can't get over the fact the ball was right in front of him in the Superbowl and he didn't dive on it and absorb punishment.
He was scared.
Athletically a beast Character he's a good guy champion?
I don't think he has the stones for it.

Wow. Not saying you're wrong but how do you determine that?

If you swapped both QB's between teams how would Cam perform with Jones, Sanu, Gabriel, Freeman etc... and how would Ryan perform with the Panther offense?

Ryan is a good QB but he also has elite weapons.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
Watson is no Cam Newton...and Cam Newton is no.....where close to an elite QB. There have been so many good college QBs with success and big numbers that just dont translate to NFL qbs (tebow says hi)

I think this kid has something going for him.

Any player who puts up 40 and 35 points vs ALA in big time games deserves some attention.

Chad Kelly did that. The kid from Arkansas did that. You can throw on Alabama lately if you have the players. They've been vulnerable against the pass lately

View attachment 17037
And no, I'm not comparing Watson to Brady. But you should buy into intangibles at least a little bit based on the past 17 years.

There's been plenty of guys who had intangibles and didn't make it. At some point you need the skill. You need to be great from the pocket in the NFL. You know that. Well atleast I hope you do. This guy is limited from the pocket right now

Watson is clutch, against BIG competition. He was money in those games against Alabama. Didn't win both, but got his team to both championship games.

After watching GMF interviews I came away more impressed with Mahomes and Kizer than with Watson when it came to mental prowess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes